Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Kratok said:

Cerevant said:

Without giving any spoilers, I want to bathe after I play test Dorn in BGII:EE. Calling him evil just doesn't cover it.

So, my question for those who have played the game.

If we are: 1. Not interested in running an evil party 2. Not fond of monks 3. Didn't like the black pits -- or any other hack and slash gladiator-pit type game. Is there any reason to buy BGII EE?

Did the devs do anything for those of us who liked the original, heroic storyline and are hoping for more dialogue and/or plot twists?

It has been previously announced that they had added over 350k words of new dialogue, and that was many months ago. There will also be over 30 new locations to visit. So even if you don't want to use Rasaad, Dorn, Hexxat or play The Black Pits even once, there should be plenty of new story, dialogue and heroic adventure to experience. And by the way, you don't have to run an "evil party", you can have mixed-alignment party perfectly fine and have Dorn for example together with neutral and good members. Should result in some interesting interactions. :)
    @Kratok Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that most of those words of new dialogue and most (if not all) of the 30 new locations pertain specifically to the new NPCs and won't be experienced by a player that takes none of them along...
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Before BG2-EE release around one week , May i think Nov.15th is solid date ?
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2013
    jaysl659 said:

Kratok said:

Cerevant said:

Without giving any spoilers, I want to bathe after I play test Dorn in BGII:EE. Calling him evil just doesn't cover it.

If we are: 1. Not interested in running an evil party 2. Not fond of monks 3. Didn't like the black pits -- or any other hack and slash gladiator-pit type game. Is there any reason to buy BGII EE?

Did the devs do anything for those of us who liked the original, heroic storyline and are hoping for more dialogue and/or plot twists?

It has been previously announced that they had added over 350k words of new dialogue, and that was many months ago. There will also be over 30 new locations to visit. So even if you don't want to use Rasaad, Dorn, Hexxat or play The Black Pits even once, there should be plenty of new story, dialogue and heroic adventure to experience. And by the way, you don't have to run an "evil party", you can have mixed-alignment party perfectly fine and have Dorn for example together with neutral and good members. Should result in some interesting interactions. :)
    @Kratok Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that most of those words of new dialogue and most (if not all) of the 30 new locations pertain specifically to the new NPCs and won't be experienced by a player that takes none of them along...
    Firstly as was said, he didn't count out Neera. Secondly they are not the 4 new recruitable party members are not the only NPCs around. For each party member I'm sure there's many more minor NPCs, and I wouldn't expect every one of them to be mute either.

I'm sure you're correct in the sense that a large amount of the dialogue is related to the party members, but certainly not everything. The content in the 30+ areas (yes, some of which are probably inaccessible if you ignore the three new party members) and other NPCs must have a fair share of their own writing.

• killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Thanks everyone!

I'll wait, continue read the forums and see what others think of the game. Perhaps post something in the feature request form. I didn't have a problem with the original game so the UI improvements don't mean that much to me . . . hopefully, someone will report that one of the new evil characters has a redemption quest or that the mystery NPC isn't evil.

Tried taking Dorn twice -- the quality of the writing was great -- but I had to keep losing reputation to keep him in the party and, ultimately, decided that playing the game as a villain wasn't much fun so I stopped playing and read the rest of the dialogue in infinity explorer.

Neera was also well written and the voice acting was first rate. Reminded me of Chiana from Farscape. Got my 20 dollars worth. Might lead me to buy the game in the future when it goes on sale.

Would like to see this project succeed, to see the infinity engine developed and for the money to go to, you know, the people who actually do the work . . . but a BG II with an enhanced evil path wasn't what I was hoping for. Wait and see. Thanks again.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited November 2013

Would like to see this project succeed, to see the infinity engine developed and for the money to go to, you know, the people who actually do the work . . . but a BG II with an enhanced evil path wasn't what I was hoping for. Wait and see. Thanks again.

So by 'enhanced evil path' you mean 1 *maybe* 2/4 NPCs? That's between 25 and 50%. Its still no more than half the NPC content at maximum, maybe a quarter. I mean, if you don't want to buy the game that's fair enough, and if you don't like Rasaad that's also fine and dandy, but I think you're misrepresenting the quantity of the evil that was added to the game.

EDIT: Especially since both Neera and Rasaad got whole new areas in BG1, whereas Dorn didn't, and thus he might even be considered less than his 33% of the added content.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    A question regarding romances in BG2:EE:

Will romances be fixed in terms of:
    - Breaking, like being petrified or kicking someone temp. out of the party? (really annoying)
    - Timers? Patience is a virtue, but pleasing Jaheira was a looooong wait
    - Journal entries for romances? It would be nice to have some kind of idea if things are still rolling.
  • Nome22Nome22 Member Posts: 6
    Sed said:

A question regarding romances in BG2:EE:

Will romances be fixed in terms of:
    - Breaking, like being petrified or kicking someone temp. out of the party? (really annoying)
    - Timers? Patience is a virtue, but pleasing Jaheira was a looooong wait
    - Journal entries for romances? It would be nice to have some kind of idea if things are still rolling.

I would also like to know this, hated to have to reload after a death, petrified, or kicked from party for a sec.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @LiamEsler
    A shame it was not thought of earlier or fixed already, but I have full understanding that you can't fix it before launch with one week to go.

I would be very happy if you at least could fix the romance-breaking aspects of petrification/kicking rather quick, and then review the other topics when time allows for it.

If I remember correctly, there were even some mods for the romances, especially speeding up Jaheira's fling.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    Can I suggest that it would be nice of Firkrag the Red Dragon is so pleased with you that he gives you- or leads you on a quest/reveals a location of a giant unholy sword of naughtiness to counter the one is his treasure trove...oh maybe to late for that... release is soon...

1) IS the release on schedule?

2) IS there and option to kidnap Garick and sell him to the slavers the first time you see him to avoid his further romancing?

3) IF I am a dirty white Boi Black Guard with a Githyanki "Band of LichMothers" E.G.A. (Evil Greasy Archlich) tattoo on my arm and saunter into the Paladin Order with Dorn in a Black tutu girdle of nasty strength on will the Paladins of the Radiant Tart immediately attack me, just treat me like I have a bad reputation, or treat me nicely if my reputation is 13+ ?

4) If I get 20 rep as a Blackgurad and note of reccomendation form the goody Silver Dragon can I do the quest for the radiant hart as a deer fallen Palidin and then became a Paladin class? (maybe you would have this option if you made Amoen Lawfuul Good he could make humble comments about his giant hammer wacking battles. )

5) can we get an option to have the slider in the 'middle' but have some boxed to tick off that allow no chance of spell memorization? (I often just put the slider down learn the scrool then switch it up again)
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    Beowulf said:

3) IF I am a dirty white Boi Black Guard with a Githyanki "Band of LichMothers" E.G.A. (Evil Greasy Archlich) tattoo on my arm and saunter into the Paladin Order with Dorn in a Black tutu girdle of nasty strength on will the Paladins of the Radiant Tart immediately attack me, just treat me like I have a bad reputation, or treat me nicely if my reputation is 13+ ?

Technically, an Archlich is supposed to be good or neutral...
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    TJ_Hooker said:

Cerevant said:

There should still be bugfixes and engine/UI tweaks. And let me tell you, once you get used to not having loading screens, there's no going back.
    Bugfixes don't really count because a Vanilla BG2 game with Patch + Fixpack was the most stable thing there was. If anything, we should expect to see more bugs coming up with this "fix" like BG:EE.

UI Tweaks? It's nice but it's just a luxury.
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    This game was gifted to me through beamdog.com I see it in "My games" on Beamdog.com but it is not appearing on my beam dog client. Any ideas why?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Are we still on track for the BG2EE release on the 15th? I was worried about a possible delay, but it's so close to the release date with no word on any troubles that I'm starting to get quite hopeful. You guys would warn us ahead of time if the release was pushed back, right?

Thanks again for all the work you've done, by the way. Loving the game more than ever.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402

So by 'enhanced evil path' you mean 1 *maybe* 2/4 NPCs? That's between 25 and 50%. Its still no more than half the NPC content at maximum, maybe a quarter. I mean, if you don't want to buy the game that's fair enough, and if you don't like Rasaad that's also fine and dandy, but I think you're misrepresenting the quantity of the evil that was added to the game.

EDIT: Especially since both Neera and Rasaad got whole new areas in BG1, whereas Dorn didn't, and thus he might even be considered less than his 33% of the added content.

Fair enough. If you like monks and/or gladiator pits the game looks very different. And it looks completely different if you like playing the evil path.

As I see it I'm looking at (possibly) 50 percent evil content and the good content contained in a class I don't much like. So, I'm asking myself do I buy the game for one NPC?

Of course, I could buy the game just to support the development of the infinity engine. But if that means that the devs will continue to develop content that doesn't interest me . . .

So I, I first asked my question to find out if the game had the content I was looking for -- and I got my answer. Now I'm posting in the hope that devs will give a hint that they are developing content that will interest me. I'd pay 60 bucks for 'adventures in Amn' or something like that-- a game that uses the maps / items and so on from BG II, that has a heroic narrative and lots of dialogue.

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited November 2013

This game was gifted to me through beamdog.com I see it in "My games" on Beamdog.com but it is not appearing on my beam dog client. Any ideas why?

I had this problem back when BG1EE was getting ready for release. You should get in touch with @Dee or @PhillipDaigle so they can help you.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Cerevant said:

Very much this.. it makes his BGEE incarnation seem lawful good by comparison.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    LiamEsler said:

The new romances won't end with petrification/kicking NPC out of party as it currently stands. The old romances are the same as they were.

I will probably review that issue post-release in a future patch :) I'd love to do journal entries for romance failure, for example, or maybe even on completing a romance track.

Are some of the other romance bugs/problems addressed, though? I remember the Jaheira romance basically requiring a manual to get through correctly...sorry if I missed it elsewhere in this thread, but have the original romances (that one in particular) been tweaked to operate more smoothly?
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    it's worth asking again since it gets repeated so much.

can anybody say if PC will have any influence/say in dorn's actions (well, without dismissing or killing him)?

i would ask if he has devolved into a simple bloodthirsty monster but i think it stands even less chance for answer. frankly, i'm getting a bit worried. i guess we will see what's the deal soon.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    They're obviously not going to tell us whether we can influence Dorn or not, since that would be spoiling his plotline.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Yep.

@Purudaya Romance bugs have been looked at and fixed, yes. The actual plot and progression of the romances has not been changed, though.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    LiamEsler said:

Yep.

@Purudaya Romance bugs have been looked at and fixed, yes. The actual plot and progression of the romances has not been changed, though.

Jaheira's romance is pretty poorly designed. Especially the part about requiring you to rest outdoors, when there are like only couple wilderness areas before UD, is going to break the romance for many players in BG2EE. In addition to that obviously you need to be at the right point of progression in the romance for the outdoor rest to do its a thing. Also, well it's very easy to simply not rest in those areas while you're there.

You guys should have added extra step where Jaheira basically forces to the party to rest outdoors, if you are at the right point in the romance when entering those areas. It could easily be made to make sense because of her class and personality too. If that's against your contract constrictions I'd say Jaheira's romance is a one big bug atm. :)
  • ChorazyGlusChorazyGlus Member Posts: 151
    Messi said:

LiamEsler said:

Yep.

Jaheira's romance is pretty poorly designed. Especially the part about requiring you to rest outdoors, when there are like only couple wilderness areas before UD, is going to break the romance for many players in BG2EE. In addition to that obviously you need to be at the right point of progression in the romance for the outdoor rest to do its a thing. Also, well it's very easy to simply not rest in those areas while you're there.

You guys should have added extra step where Jaheira basically forces to the party to rest outdoors, if you are at the right point in the romance when entering those areas. It could easily be made to make sense because of her class and personality too. If that's against your contract constrictions I'd say Jaheira's romance is a one big bug atm. :)
    Or you can just EEKeep timers for romance dialogues if you feel you waited long enough. When she doesn't talk anyway, you know that you must rest in pea... eh wilderness.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2013

Or you can just EEKeep timers for romance dialogues if you feel you waited long enough. When she doesn't talk anyway, you know that you must rest in pea... eh wilderness.

Well avoiding all that was kinda the point. I'd say that anyone new who finishes that romance without a guide, or having to use a save game editor is extremely lucky.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    I have not finished the Jaheira romance once, yet have finished the others. Jaheira's breaks too often it seems, and is extremely long, to the point where it once took me 100 days to get her to the point where I could rest in the wilds and get woken up by bandits...
  • MrSextonMrSexton Member Posts: 396
    So when can we start pre-downloading??? Or is everybody going to download the game on the 15th?
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606

MrSexton said:

So when can we start pre-downloading??? Or is everybody going to download the game on the 15th?

No, everyone is going to download the pre-download on the day the pre-downloading begins.

THEN everyone will download what's left of the game on the 15th.

I just hope they let us download almost all of the game in advance this time so we don't have to download another huge chunk when the game releases, like what happened last time.
  • mirceapuimirceapui Member Posts: 26
    Noob question: Do i have to enter in all houses in Baldur's Gate and other cities? Or is enought to enter only in marked ones on the map?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    @mirceapui "Exploration" (a.k.a. burglary) is sometimes rewarded in BG. Don't expect every house to have useful loot or quests, but some of them do.
  • mirceapuimirceapui Member Posts: 26
    But do i miss many quests or items if i don't enter in houses? There are so many and i dont have always patience to loot them all. Specially in Baldur's Gate where are so many areas.
This discussion has been closed.