Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    When will we finally be getting proper localized versions, with localized sound files ? (IE : French sound files, German sound files and so on) ?
  • AodenAoden Member Posts: 65
    Aranthys said:

When will we finally be getting proper localized versions, with localized sound files ? (IE : French sound files, German sound files and so on) ?

And Russian (text files)!

• AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    So, I have a rather simple question, as someone that loves using custom portraits. Will BG2:EE use the same portrait dimensions as BG:EE, so I don't have to re-edit and resize all my custom portraits?
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Aranthys said:

There is going to be an announcement about this soon. We are working with the localization TLs to implement foreign audio files that were present in the original game.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Parys said:

I would like to ask about Joluv and Deidre.
    Will there be bonus merchants included? I recall somebody wrote there aren't bonus merchant planned.

Joluv and Deidre will be there, but we haven't added anyone new in a similar vein (yet).
    Akihiko said:

So, I have a rather simple question, as someone that loves using custom portraits. Will BG2:EE use the same portrait dimensions as BG:EE, so I don't have to re-edit and resize all my custom portraits?

BG2EE's portraits use the same dimensions and format as BG1EE's portraits, yes.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Awesome. Thanks for the response, now I can also set up in advance some custom portraits for the BG2 characters. :)

Will you nerf the weapon proficiency bonuses in BG2 as per vanilla or keep the BG version?

BG2EE will use the same weapon proficiency tables that are used in BG1EE right now.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Is Adventure Y still planned?
    RedGuard said:

Is Adventure Y still planned?

Yes. It may be a while until we're ready to talk about it, but it is still something we're looking at.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Adul said:

I can't find the specific comment, but I do recall there was a remark from you guys at one point indicating you might look into enhancing the story/gameplay in Throne of Bhaal specifically in order to make it less linear. Now that BG2:EE is around the corner (sort of), can you talk about whether you've been able to do something with that idea?

I have found the comment that I was thinking of: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/275731/#Comment_275731

So, have you guys been able to do anything with ToB in order to make it longer, higher quality, and/or less linear?
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited September 2013
    Hey @Dee and @CamDawg, thanks for the thoughtful answers regarding GVAR importing and your attitude regarding implementing mod content. I'm really happy that you take such a conservative approach.

Since this is a Q&A thread, I'll pose this: do you guys plan to do some more interviews / previews / behind the scenes-type-deals before the release? The quote I'm posting below has the ring of truth to it, and I'm worried that if you guys don't put your message out there, some misinformed people are going to hurt your word-of-mouth (forums) sales. Unfortunately, the BG modding community might be too insular and smart for their own good. They don't recognize the value of all the different platforms, and the engine / game fixes, not to mention the production value of professionally made new content (though I really wish you would use higher resolution terrain on your modeled maps for rendering!) and thus seem to be recommending people just 'mod the GoG version', not recognizing that BG2 modding is, compared to, say, Bethesda games, not so simple.

Overhaul (imho) need to do an interview to expand and clarify on what these titles are providing. If they can't discuss it then that's really holding these games back - what are their DLC plans? expansion packs, class additions, etc. It seems there's alot of negative stuff floating about and the company seems to be treading water and squashing bugs.
    I'm a fan, preordered BG:EE and have yet to play it as I'm waiting on that patch and BG2:EE - that's not a negative thing, as I'm happy with what I've purchased.

I don't think they can change the "get it on GOG with mods" mindset, but abit more info for those potential buyers on the fence couldn't hurt I think.
    *Shrugs shoulders*

I would think some of the people most receptive to this info would be Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Kotaku, and GameBanshee, in addition to whatever large platform outlets you're undoubtedly planning to talk to (whoever disseminates info on android and apple tablet games). In addition to that, interviews or screenshots released to a representative of the big IE modding forums would do a lot to get the community behind you (G3, SHS, and what is the last one.. CoM?).

Obviously all just IMO.. but I've got a vested interest in this too; I want to see IWD:EE someday ;D
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Dear Dee, is there any hope whatsoever of having anything even slightly random in BG2:EE?

For instance:

- A minor quest triggered by drinking in a (random) bar; someone walks up to you and starts talking and there you go. At the moment, drinking in a bar never leads to anything meaningful.
    - A brawl between two thugs which you will witness (in a random city / town location) and which may or may not trigger a small quest as well, depending on what you do. And maybe, after reacting to this, one of the kids in the street somewhere else may notice you when you pass by and say "Hey! You helped/killed my dad", and that may have its own repercussions...

This sort of stuff would be just lovely, in my view. For me, BG2 is the best game ever, but sometimes it gets a bit annoying that you know where everybody and everyone is, and you know exactly what happens in the places you go.

The world of Ultima V, for instance, had way more unpredictability to it! And that was aeons ago...
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    Will new areas seen in the trailer of BGEE II be only available if you take those new NPCs from BGEE into your party, or will they be available to any party?
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    Will the blackguard have their own stronghold? cause having a blackguard in the radiant heart would be a bit out of character.
    Baxyratty said:

Will the blackguard have their own stronghold? cause having a blackguard in the radiant heart would be a bit out of character.

The Blackguard will use one of the other existing strongholds.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    will the existing stronghold be modified to accommodate evil choices or will blackguards simply have fighters stronghold?
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I actually find d'arnise fitting for a blackguard (although it would be fun if they could add more strongholds)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Dexter: They'd have to retool the questline, though - would a blackguard care about a maid having to choose suitors?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited September 2013
    Considering that Blackguards are most often fanatically champions of fell powers (be it evil gods, archdevils, baernaloths, or demon princes), the Temple of Talos is pretty much the only fitting stronghold for such hated and feared, mortal fiends.

However, it's also true that this stronghold extremely limits the roleplay factor for all non-Talassan Blackguard characters as well. I see no reason why a Blackguard of Juiblex for example should be tolerated, much less being welcomed in one of Talos' main temples. Now that's an immersion breaker if I ever saw one.
    hmm, you're right that would work better. although blackguards and paladins do not choose their order or deity in bg2, i also can't see this working without some modification.

i doubt blackguards will have satisfying stronghold without some alterations of the content. and i have a feeling this is in the dreaded contract limitation area...

so either a roleplaying-inconvincing fighter stronghold or PC blackguard has to be of talos faith.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I guess that as a champion of evil, the idea of posession of a castle might be interesting from the 'power' point of view. You know, some place to run torture or sacrifices to honor his master. I found it more fitting as it leaves religion aside, but of course, as @shawne pointed out, it might be a little weird for a blackguard to care about a maid having to choose suitors... We'll find out november 15th
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Will the new Thief NPC have a special magic item that she comes equipped with? (Dorn's Sword/Rasaad's Boots)

If she does, will it have a bearing/reflect upon the new story she brings? Perhaps one of the artifacts she has found, with a chain, that she wears around her neck for example?
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

Edvin said:

Simple question: Will be that new female thief romanceable ?

Without giving too much away, yes.
    Will the new female thief be romanceable by characters of either gender (like Dorn)?
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Just to repeat... we're not giving out information on the new NPC just yet. :) You can ask the questions, but just be aware that we may not be able to answer them -- please don't be offended if they're ignored in favor of other questions. :)
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    ”The new renderer opens up a number of amazing things, such as new UI layouts which were previously not possible. The new render system for the new fonts is brilliant.”

Except new render system , does it still have any plan to enhance graphic effects? such like weather , spell , water effects.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    Will the Jaheira romance be fixed? (I believe that originally a key conversation trigger was time-dependent, and thus easy to miss, even if one had selected all the 'correct' conversation options previously.)
  • keirankeiran Member Posts: 32

Will the Jaheira romance be fixed? (I believe that originally a key conversation trigger was time-dependent, and thus easy to miss, even if one had selected all the 'correct' conversation options previously.)

And what about other party banter. AFAIR you sometimes had to wait literally hours to have a conversation triggered, very troublesome. Will any way be given to trigger it by hand? Like in newer Bioware games - manually triggered talk with party characters?
    is there any way to make characters use "huge" size portrait instead of "large" on statistics screen? large is still kind of small and huge has no function other than ending sequence.
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2013
    Hi Beamdog team,

Thank you for your hard work so far and apologies if this question has already been asked.
    I have a question regarding stuttering of the game. While the game is running fine for me most of the time (my specifications can be found at the bottom of this post), it happens occasionally that it noticeably slows down – the most glaring example would be sewers beneath the city of Baldur's Gate where the game is stuttering pretty badly and the reason for that is probably a large number of carrion crawlers.

So, my question is: is this stuttering a matter of proper hardware suitable for the game or does the game slows down occasionally (for example, when lots of spells were cast or there are lots of enemies in one location) on all modern computers and nothing can be done about it?

My specifications:
    Laptop Samsung r580
    Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU
    RAM: 4,00 GB
    Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    System: Windows 7, 64-bit
This discussion has been closed.