Skip to content

Ask Us Anything! (Volume 3)

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Dee said:

KAZAMAJIN said:

KAZAMAJIN said:

will there be an option to use the old baldurs gate 2 UI?

or simply change the colour to the old brownish one, new one just doesnt suit the "shadows of amn" for me, offputting (forgive my awful english its 2:30 in the morning :( )

You can see the BG2EE UI in this screenshot:

That's the UI that will be used in BG2EE; we don't currently have any plans to offer alternate UI's.
    So there won't be any option to make the bottom pane not transparent?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Dee said:

KAZAMAJIN said:

KAZAMAJIN said:

will there be an option to use the old baldurs gate 2 UI?

or simply change the colour to the old brownish one, new one just doesnt suit the "shadows of amn" for me, offputting (forgive my awful english its 2:30 in the morning :( )

That's the UI that will be used in BG2EE; we don't currently have any plans to offer alternate UI's.
    It's incredible how well BG2 aged (especially with the enhancements), if I didn't know better I could easily believe that to be screenshot from PE.

Anyway my question is that is there any possibility to enhance BGEE graphics like you did with BG2EE renders?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not without the original renders, which unfortunately we don't have.
  • Laurensvo92Laurensvo92 Member Posts: 33
    Am having a problem with the UI and a major problem with the Journal. Sometimes the UI(on the left) goes to the bottom of the screen and unable to use the UI for important things such as resting. Any suggestions?

On the journal I get a new quest but the journal does not update this and can fundamentally stop myself from knowing where to go (tried going to another are but this doesn't help). Again any suggestions or known workarounds?

I know the Journal will be fixed in the next update but this is quite a major bug that should be fixed ASAP.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

Not without the original renders, which unfortunately we don't have.

It's ok! BG2 has almost universally been held up as the best game out of the BG series! There's nothing wrong with BG2:EE sticking with that trend!
  • Where are we at with the Android version?

BG:EE was launched for PC at the end of November 2012, the iPad version rolled out about a week later. Mac OSX folks had to wait about ten weeks after iPad for their version. Taking out the two months that the project was tied up in legal hell, we are still looking at around 20 weeks of development time since the Mac OSX version came out.

I have seen various posts by various people at Overhaul detailing the fact that they have two teams, one on content development and the other on engine development. This is not an adequate explanation as to why we do not yet have BG:EE on Android. It seems to me to be a simple admission that you have misallocated your resources: you have focused too much on one side of development at the expense of the other.

In the letter you sent out after the legal troubles were over, you stated:

"We'll announce the details of an upcoming major *Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition* patch and the Android tablet version in the near future. We'll also have some exciting news regarding *Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition* soon after."

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20553/baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-back-on-sale

That didn't happen. Instead, you announced BG2:EE first. I won't speculate as to why, but the appearance that you are shifting focus away from BG:EE, a project which has major components that were announced over a year ago and still nowhere to be found, to a new project, is frustrating to say the least.

Now, I am not asking for some detailed blow-by-blow of exactly what is going on with the Android version. I am not asking for a release date. But anything would be welcome at this point.

On the BG2:EE page, this information appears under the Android section (which is, perhaps ironically, slated to be "Coming Soon"):

System Requirements:

Requires an Android tablet with a Tegra 2 or equivalent graphics processor.
    Storage: 2.5 GB of free space

To my knowledge, this is new information that appears nowhere on these forums. I would have greatly appreciated a newspost on this forum detailing that information, along with any other information on timeframes or updates that you would deem suitable to release. We are over three weeks since the legal fiasco ended and development resumed, and, aside from hints scattered in various topics across the boards that an information update is coming at some undetermined point in the future, we have had nothing but silence.

Thinking all of this over, I remembered a post I believe I read somewhere on this forum, unfortunately I can't recall exactly where, but to paraphrase it: if a company doesn't want second-rate sales on Android, don't treat the Android userbase like second-class citizens. But that is precisely what you are doing.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Dee said:

Looks like you've got some cracks in your UI... Need some of Jan Jansens's Dungeon Spackle? (patent pending with the Candlekeep Patent Office) ;-)
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Did you guys do something to the graphics? It looks... awesome.
  • KAZAMAJINKAZAMAJIN Member Posts: 8
    Will there be an option for Ascension? I know alot of us much prefer ascension but it is quite hard and I was wondering if you guys were gonna put it in or do some sort of toggle option for it at the start
  • JorkanJorkan Member Posts: 74
    Will the start of BG2 be the same in BGEE2? Will the game assume we quested with the same 'canon' NPCs?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Jorkan

Pretty sure they're contractually obligated to keep the same NPCs in the starting dungeon, unfortunately. Doesn't mean we necessarily won't see new NPCs in that dungeon, but we're still going to see Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Posted this in the main BG2 is coming bit, no one replied I guess I posted it in the wrong place but here goes again
    a quick question, Do you guys have the right to work on BG2 unfinished business that wasn't completed last time around? Such as Artemis Entreri and Drizzts dialogue for example, or still not allowed to touch any of that? either yes or no I still can't wait till Novemeber the 15th!
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    Dee said:

Not without a whole lot of work; each animation sprite has somewhere between 25 and 200 frames, all of which would have to be created--and there are hundreds of sprites in the game.

So technically it's possible, but it's not something we're prepared to attempt.

@Dee So BD doesn't have the original 3D models used to generate the sprite renders? Does it have the original sprite renders (the 2D slices, like the map renders)? You could re-compress them with a less-lossy format, similar to map upgrades in BG2:EE. That would be a batch operation.

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Adul said:

Adul said:

I can't find the specific comment, but I do recall there was a remark from you guys at one point indicating you might look into enhancing the story/gameplay in Throne of Bhaal specifically in order to make it less linear. Now that BG2:EE is around the corner (sort of), can you talk about whether you've been able to do something with that idea?

I have found the comment that I was thinking of: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/275731/#Comment_275731

So, have you guys been able to do anything with ToB in order to make it longer, higher quality, and/or less linear?
    So... I don't want to look like a one issue joe here, and I do know quoting myself twice in a row is the internet etiquette equivalent of shouting vague paranoid statements at strangers in the street, but you gotta do what you gotta do, eh?

Well if it's not obvious, I'd really like to know if you guys have been able to improve ToB in any significant way. Of course if you can't talk about it yet, that's fine, just please say so so I can stop theorizing about whether my question has been skipped over (twice).
    agris said:

Dee said:

Not without a whole lot of work; each animation sprite has somewhere between 25 and 200 frames, all of which would have to be created--and there are hundreds of sprites in the game.

So technically it's possible, but it's not something we're prepared to attempt.

@Dee So BD doesn't have the original 3D models used to generate the sprite renders? Does it have the original sprite renders (the 2D slices, like the map renders)? You could re-compress them with a less-lossy format, similar to map upgrades in BG2:EE. That would be a batch operation.

Sadly, no. The only original renders we were able to acquire were the renders for the area art in BG2.
    Adul said:

Adul said:

Adul said:

I can't find the specific comment, but I do recall there was a remark from you guys at one point indicating you might look into enhancing the story/gameplay in Throne of Bhaal specifically in order to make it less linear. Now that BG2:EE is around the corner (sort of), can you talk about whether you've been able to do something with that idea?

I have found the comment that I was thinking of: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/275731/#Comment_275731

So, have you guys been able to do anything with ToB in order to make it longer, higher quality, and/or less linear?
    So... I don't want to look like a one issue joe here, and I do know quoting myself twice in a row is the internet etiquette equivalent of shouting vague paranoid statements at strangers in the street, but you gotta do what you gotta do, eh?

Well if it's not obvious, I'd really like to know if you guys have been able to improve ToB in any significant way. Of course if you can't talk about it yet, that's fine, just please say so so I can stop theorizing about whether my question has been skipped over (twice).
    We can't talk about it yet. :)
    jamesker said:

Posted this in the main BG2 is coming bit, no one replied I guess I posted it in the wrong place but here goes again
    a quick question, Do you guys have the right to work on BG2 unfinished business that wasn't completed last time around? Such as Artemis Entreri and Drizzts dialogue for example, or still not allowed to touch any of that? either yes or no I still can't wait till Novemeber the 15th!

We don't have any current plans in that vein, but we may look at something later on (post-release).

Where are we at with the Android version?

You have every right to be frustrated. This next patch implements changes to the engine that are necessary before we can release the game on Android, so I would look to the success of this patch as a measure of our progress toward Android.
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41
    Question for Beamdog. I bought BGEE on both the iPad and Mac and generally enjoyed it on both platforms (though the iPad improved considerably after the first patch and I have been waiting for the next patch to do another iPad playthrough! BGEE/BGEE2 are going to singlehandedly necessitate my next iPad having more storage!). I didn't mind buying BGEE twice to support Beamdog and BG as a whole, but three times was a bit much, so I never bought the PC version. Cloud saves and my laptop (mac), desktop (windows), and iPad would be an amazing combination.

A lot of game vendors (GoG, Steam, Blizzard, etc) have moved to a model where if you buy a game, you can download and install it for whatever platform you're on. The iPad/Apple App Store still doesn't fit with this model, but that's to be expected.

I would not ask Beamdog to go to exactly this model (you're a smaller business and are dealing with smaller markets most likely, I get it), but is there any chance of a Mac+PC bundle for like $30 together, instead of $25 each? I would buy that in a heart beat. I don't think I would pay $75 for all three platforms, however.

Thanks for all your work. I just watched the PAX panel, got pumped, and am ready to preorder :)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    Here are two of my earlier questions that have yet to be answered. I'm posting them again in case they were overlooked.

Will the new female thief be romanceable by characters of either gender (like Dorn)?

Since we already know that the new female thief is romanceable, I hope some indication of which PC gender is eligible (or if both are) is not asking for too much information.

Will the Jaheira romance be fixed? (I believe that originally a key conversation trigger was time-dependent, and thus easy to miss, even if one had selected all the 'correct' conversation options previously.)

More specifically, the original Jaheira romance required you to sleep outdoors after a certain amount of *real* time had passed, thus making it very easy to leave the romance 'hanging'. It would be great if this problem were fixed.

Thanks. :)
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Palanthis said:

Just saying that removing xp limit would affect almost half the single classes... but also ALL the dual and multi classes, as you noted.

I think this might actually the main problem.
    Dee said:

That's correct, the XP cap has not been changed. However, the cap itself is pretty close to the limit of what the engine can handle in terms of class levels anyway.

The engine?

Planescape: Torment caps at 999,999,999 xp and level 127. The 2DAs have THAC0 progression to level 60. I know my mage was in the neighborhood of level 40.

What changed? Certainly not the variable type...
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @PugPug While PS:T is an Infinity Engine game, it's a completely different version of the Infinity Engine -- lots of stuff is possible in the PS:T engine not possible in the BGEE engine, and vice versa.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    edited September 2013
    will the new patch invovle new features other than bug fixes?

(tbh i'm asking because i want to start the playthrough i'll import to bg2 ee and since i'm ok on the bugs department,if there's nothing else i see no reason to w8 for it,thx in advance)

/SPOILER

also is there any chance that in ToB it will be possible for neutral character to change Sarevok's and Viconia's alignment?
    /spoiler
    Post edited by bill_zagoudis on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Will a certain infamous rodent encounter in the ToB part of BG2:EE still use a rabbit sprite?
  • MonkLoverMonkLover Member Posts: 24
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

rdarken said:

Did you guys do something to the graphics? It looks... awesome.

For the BG2 areas, we were able to get a hold of the original 24-bit renders (not the source art, but the original renders from that art), allowing us to recompress them at a higher fidelity. So BG2's areas are, without overselling it too much, "remastered".
    Where the renderers lost for BG1?

NVM, just read the previous posts.
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    Forgive me if this has already been asked but will Dorn, Neera, Rassad, and unrelieved thief woman have banter/dialog with vanilla bg2 party npcs?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Dee or anybody else in blue: Which of the new NPCs are you most proud of, in terms of BG2EE content? I'm sure "why" is tightly under wraps, so I'd be content with a one-word answer.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    great question. i would just expand it to "Dee and EVERYONE in the blue".

come on devs, make your own "bgee team memeber only" poll!
This discussion has been closed.