Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330

Roughly 50 hours of gameplay
    $25 fee
    $0.50 for each hour

I pay 15x that per hour to see a 2 hour Imax movie. Then double it for bringing my wife. That is without popcorn or pop. People need to chill.
  • SalamisSalamis Member Posts: 11
    I don't object to the price, but I was a little surprised it was higher than the BG:EE price. Moreover, I was expecting some sort of "come-on" price reduction to encourage pre-orders; it's hard to see any advantage to pre-ordering now, compared to pre-ordering in two months' time. I accept the points made in this thread about Beamdog's costs being higher than expected when one considers all the third parties wanting a cut, but some sort of loyalty/early-adopter incentive wouldn't go amiss, in my opinion.

Having said that, I might well pre-order this month just to get it done.
  • NarcissistNarcissist Member Posts: 65
    Provided they aren't overestimating their capabilities, like they did with BGEE, I'd say it's a fair enough price. I've tried playing BG2 after completing my Evil run of BGEE, and it just plays so much worse than BGEE.

That being said, I do wish we'd get more for our buck. Especially when you look at all of the extras that you can get from the gog version.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    redline said:

Also, I'd like to say that the "if you can't afford it, you must have personal problems" vitriol in this thread is... silly. That is all.

No vitriol, friend. Just pointing out that the objections *to* the price are indeed...utterly silly. That's all.

Provided they aren't overestimating their capabilities, like they did with BGEE, I'd say it's a fair enough price. I've tried playing BG2 after completing my Evil run of BGEE, and it just plays so much worse than BGEE.

That being said, I do wish we'd get more for our buck. Especially when you look at all of the extras that you can get from the gog version.

I have the GOG version of both games....what extras are you referring to? Or did they upgrade since I bought them?
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    i have BGEE on steam and i really like to see BGEE2 on steam to, well i think not only me :).
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    @Xar105

Other than shopping sales, I don't see Steam as a good place to buy this from. A major reason why I buy the EE games rather than play the originals is due to ongoing patch support, some of which provide new content. Steam gets patches SO much slower in BGEE.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I'm torn. I want to support BG but not too impressed with the EE. If this doesn't get support, then the suits can look at this as "people don't care about a game like BG anymore, let's make Madden 2015."

• Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    i agree madhax but this is only one place where i can use paysafecard to buy game.
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72

I'm torn. I want to support BG but not too impressed with the EE. If this doesn't get support, then the suits can look at this as "people don't care about a game like BG anymore, let's make Madden 2015."

You don't necessarily need to worry about the suits anymore. Numenera and Eternity did massively well on Kickstarter, proving there is still an audience for this stuff and that you can go through "non-traditional" routes to get the funding for them.

If you honestly don't believe EE deserves your money, then don't get it.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    Madhax said:

Steam gets patches SO much slower in BGEE.

Scammers Atari manages the Steam version, not Overhaul/Beamdog, that's why patches for the Steam version are so much delayed.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Got to say, don't think i'll bother this time around.... or i'll at least be waiting to see what the reviews are like... they can add all the content they want but if it's at the level of the stuff in BGEE then it doesn't warrant the $.

I hope they prove me wrong, i hope they actually manage to release an Android version of either game, but i've slowly lost all hope and faith.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416

Madhax said:

Steam gets patches SO much slower in BGEE.

Scammers Atari manages the Steam version, not Overhaul/Beamdog, that's why patches for the Steam version are so much delayed.
    I know. Point remains.
  • fanestfanest Member Posts: 15
    i'm not paying this, thats why i will prb wait for sale. Also i hope they will release these games on GOG imo its about time to do so.
  • fanest said:

i'm not paying this, thats why i will prb wait for sale. Also i hope they will release these games on GOG imo its about time to do so.

Because Atari is very much a DRM fetishist, it's unlikely to see the EE versions on GOG. GOG however forbids the use of DRM on their platform.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Arcalian said:

I have the GOG version of both games....what extras are you referring to? Or did they upgrade since I bought them?
    Game artwork, wallpapers, sound files, that sort of thing.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i think it is still worth it for mobile
    what other game could you play mobile with epicness of this power level?

none ;)
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    amftron said:

Got to say, don't think i'll bother this time around.... or i'll at least be waiting to see what the reviews are like... they can add all the content they want but if it's at the level of the stuff in BGEE then it doesn't warrant the $.

I hope they prove me wrong, i hope they actually manage to release an Android version of either game, but i've slowly lost all hope and faith.

I feel the same as well. I was a huge supporter prior to the release of BGEE and preordered it immediately. What I found is a lot of promises before BGEE was released and then a lot of fail when it was released.
    elminster said:

Arcalian said:

Oh so no actual game content. Thought I missed something.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Arcalian said:

elminster said:

Arcalian said:

Oh so no actual game content. Thought I missed something.

Nope. I think they have avatars (character pictures) you can use but they aren't the greatest IMO. So yea there is no actual game content extras.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    It's not that the price is too high. If Beamdog/Overhaul can guarantee that it will run the same as the original game, then it wouldn't bother me if it was $100. I'll put my money down straight away.

Why pay $25 for a pc game that's supposed to be enhanced but has new bugs when I can play the original and not encounter those bugs. I don't want to play a game that has new bugs. I got burnt with BGEE.

I'm currently playing BG2 after many years of not playing it and it feels perfect. No problems with things like Alt-Tab and minimise out of the game on dual monitors which I still can't do with BGEE. And I expect there will be a lot of bugs when BG2EE is released. Probably wouldn't surprise me if the Alt-Tab/minimise doesn't work on dual monitors for BG2EE if they haven't fixed it for BGEE. There are numerous bugs which others may not have encountered, but people like myself do encounter. It's a lot of frustration because the original game doesn't have these.
  • kabkab Member Posts: 75
    You have two versions of the same game. One is $10 and includes massive content, tweaks, fixes, balance and difficulty changes. The other is $25 and includes as yet unknown content which may not actually surpass that which is available for $10. It follows a predecessor that has spent much of this year in limbo and 10 months after release is still arguably inferior to what can be achieved with the $10 version.

So yeah, it's kind of hard to go out raving about how everyone ought to spend $25 on it.

The content and features, when they're delivered, will settle the argument for each of us individually. I'm certain eventually BGEE and BG2EE will be the standard for playing Baldur's Gate. That may very well be 2-3 years away. So despite the fact that I've probably bought BG six times in the last 14 years, including BGEE, I'm not inclined to run jumping and screaming into a pre-order.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

BG1 and BG2 were censored in Germany. No splatter on crit-kills, no blood on hits, no bloodstream at the title intro (BG1). BG:EE and BG2:EE are uncensored.

Other European releases had the same treatment ;-)

So yeah, I only thought IWD series were the game where this can occur.

It was nice to see this is a standard feature thanks to BG:EE, though you could have bought the GOG version which has the same effects as US version.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited September 2013
    redline said:

Count me among the wait-and-see skeptics at this point. BG:EE was fun, and I don't regret shelling out $18 or so on the preorder. But it also has its fair share of issues, and at this point the lack of mod support still makes me wonder if just sticking with my original copies and a suite of mods isn't the better way to go. If the NPC Project came out with BG:EE support tomorrow, those concerns would go away. Until then, though, I've actually paid a premium to exchange new content (the NPCs) for old (the old mods). I'm not sure that was really worth the price.

I'm not a first-time player, and I still have functioning copies of BG2 and ToB, so comparisons to the GOG version or Project Eternity are irrelevant here. My $25 wouldn't be paying for hundreds of hours of content. I already own hundreds of hours of BG2 content. At this point, my $25 would be paying for widescreen support, a minimalist UI, and some promises of new areas and a really high word count. That's promising, but without any kind of preorder bonus, I don't see the point in giving them my money for promises. They're running a business here -- they don't just inherently deserve my money, regardless of the final product -- so, as a consumer, I'm going to wait and see if the product is worth the price they're asking for.

Also, I'd like to say that the "if you can't afford it, you must have personal problems" vitriol in this thread is... silly. That is all.

That's the same for me. I own the original games three times (1rst release and 1rst add on release for both games (BG1 & BG2) , game+add-on pack (BG1&BG2), D&D pack with lot of AD&D games). the only interesting features are those you mentioned.

If BG2:EE is as unpolished as BG:EE was when it was released, it won't do at all.

Since many bugs were fixed after BG:EE re lease, let's hope we won't find them in BG2:EE.

But as a precaution, I won't buy this BG2:EE until many months after its release (unlike what I did with the first EE).

Thanks by advance for all the "release-beta testers" who will have to report the bugs to the Dev.

Therefore, a discounted version on STEAM seems to be the best solution for me, that will arrive, I guess a few months after the release.

PS : I have more than made my share of the work for this BG:EE (check my profile) and I don't think I will spend time again to report them, unless they are really annoying.

@Dee : By the way, Trent and Cam were paid for the content they produced 15 years ago many times, as you can see. Therefore, though it is not "fanmade" content unlike other mods, the 25$ are only giving payment for the new content and features the EE editions are bringing. Sorry if this sounds like an asshole speech.
    Post edited by Aasimar069 on
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited September 2013
    I just don't see how BG2EE is worth 25$. BG2EE does not bring anything great to the table that BG2 didn't have already. BG1EE brought us all the BG2 goodies without the hassle of using VERY user unfriendly mods that were free. Also additional content of BGEE is not that great. Some voice over for new NPCs is nice but the extra levels of really bad quality and a few more fights here and there was not that great. The Black Pits was the only real additional content but that was outside the main game and it was not that interesting.
    For BG2EE to be worth that kind of money it would have to be a real overhaul and not limited with WotC contracts.
    It might be good for people that never played BG2, but they also can just buy a 10$ version of GoG and not miss much.
    Only really good thing about BG2EE will be the tablet versions. I feel their PC version should be 15 or 20$ and their tablet version 20 or 25$.
  • SalamisSalamis Member Posts: 11
    Dee said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with waiting to read reviews or to see the performance of a patch. Although fiscally we'd obviously love it if everyone bought the game right away (and then bought several copies for friends, neighbors, and pet hamsters), on a personal note I'd much rather people buy it and enjoy it.
    I don't run Beamdog's business, so perhaps I should mind my own (literally and figuratively); but getting money in sooner rather than later is the better option, as you admit. That's why I was surprised to see no benefit to pre-ordering now. Perhaps a price escalator? $18 in September, $20 in October...and so on.
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    Wait for the Steam sale then photo emot-ssh.gif
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Wait for the Steam sale then photo emot-ssh.gif

Agreed.

In a matter of fact, with the possibility of BG2:EE come with an high promotional price in the future by Steam, i don't even understand why people are still complaining with Beamdog's price. want the game so badly that you have to get it on the release date? Then the game is worth $25. the person whom pre-order or get the game in the release date is saying the game is worth with his/her own deeds of brougth the game.

Not worth $25? Wait for Steam, and complain about prices in steam forum also, Beamdog don't control the prices there.