Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

12345679»

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    ghostowl said:

Hate it when people try to downplay $25 as a pizza or something

Medium pizzas are like $5 dude.

Not here they ain't. $25 ≈ 149 NOK = medium pizza... in one of the cheaper chains. Hell I can't get a hot dog for less than ~$9. So yeah. I think BG2:EE's pricing is pretty low. I guess a better comparison would be a DVD though, which is about the same price.

Fair enough, you can say "for a new version that didn't really change much", but that's besides the point if you're still able to get hours and hours worth of entertainment out of it as far as my examples are concerned.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Dee said:

(although it'd be great if everyone preordered seventy copies and also bought me a pony)

What on earth would you do with that many ponies?
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    edited September 2013
    @silverstar

remember not everyone lives in Norway. 25 bucks maybe abit more in another country.
    just look at your pizza example.
    Even I as a Dane im like WTF at that. medium pizza is like 60 DKK.

edit. haha i @ you as silverfox first... picture and Ylvis mindfucked me.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    etagloc said:

@silverfox

remember not everyone lives in Norway. 25 bucks maybe abit more in another country.
    just look at your pizza example.
    Even I as a Dane is like WTF at that. medium pizza is like 60 DKK.

You can get pizza for 5 euros here too. Though usually it's like 6-7.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Dee said:

” and the promise of continuing support. ”

This are best things I had ever heard from developers until now, all the fans are still looking at how well features your guys can introduce into the game , and I am very sure I will pay more money for Overhaul if it is really do it right,

I hope those effort can make enough profit for your guys to survive for more longer time , make your dream and ours come true,

• greckoboygreckoboy Member Posts: 33
    For people who've never played BG2 before, $25 is a steal for a new game. Or maybe not, since I had a "hardcore gamer" friend to whom I recommended BG2 and who rage-quitted because Chateau de Irenicus was too difficult! Oh...the agony...

But anyway, even though the original BG2 is dirt-cheap these days, I would still recommend getting BG2 EE instead if only for the support and because of the "difficulty" of getting the mods and fixes to set up the original game (for the newbies). Plus the extra content! In my area of the world at least, that should be worth the 15 bucks difference.

For the old-timers like us, $25 may seem a little steep for just the extra content...but anyway, I thought we were paying $25 as an excuse to give Overhaul a deposit for BG3? And to give Overhaul the publicity, the encouragement and the platform to make a smashing BG3 game? Errr, no?

At least for me that's my ulterior motive (oops, I said it). Old school games are so dead these days that I don't mind waiting for the developers to do the bug-fixes and learn the ropes so that they can make a game I will truly enjoy and hopefully revitalize the genre (thank goodness for Kickstarter too). Call me overly optimistic if you want.

I won't begrudge people their huge Steam discounts - $25 is worth different things to different people - but I don't think I'm an idiot simply because I'm paying the higher price for a game that I already have sitting in my cupboard.
    alnair
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    While I picked up BG:EE as soon as it was offered on Steam, I'll wait for some kind of sale when it comes to BG2:EE. I love both of these games to death - they are my first serious introduction to cRPG - price point of $25 for what is in essence 12 years old game, albeit remastered, is just too much.

And I really expect almost total absence of bugs for this release. Better to release the game later then to allow it to be shipped in the similar state like the vanilla version of BG: EE.
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    edited September 2013
    Dee said:

@ghostowl
    Hang on a minute; BGII:EE hasn't been released yet, so I wouldn't start talking about stability or mod compatibility just yet. You'll find that BGII:EE is a lot closer to being mod-compatible, and when this next patch is released you'll see just how stable it really is now.

Plus roughly twenty hours of new content (on the conservative end), new enhancements, and the promise of continuing support.

If that's the case, then I wouldn't even wait for good reviews, I would probably end up ordering it on the spot.

The mods that I really like that are reputable are Ascension, SCSII, Rogue Rebalancing, Tweakpack

I'm really happy to hear you guys put a lot of work into the new content! Please put less time in (Black Pits 2) and more time in regular gameplay!

EDIT: Actually scratch that. Near Infinity compatability is more important than some mod compatability
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I can tell you definitively that most (if not all) the old modding tools work fine with both games in the Enhanced Edition. I'm not one of the scripters or programmers, but in my free time I'm usually tinkering with this or that in NI.
    ghostowl
  • ghostowlghostowl Member Posts: 171
    @Dee
    Woo hoo! That's great news. I'm very tempted to pre-order. Hope the enhancements come out great
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2013

Dee said:

(although it'd be great if everyone preordered seventy copies and also bought me a pony)

What on earth would you do with that many ponies?
    I'll buy 70 copies if you swear off ponies for life, returnable if you're ever associated with a pony. I'll give you a can of dog food, too. That should save you the trouble, unless you plan on locking it up in a dungeon in the mean time before then. Maybe it will get away, and you'll chase after it, and you'll have you're own session of D&D in your backyard.

I'll send you a can of dog food, and 70 blank DVD-Rs, if you have a Linux version available by the Nov. 15 release. @Dee
    Post edited by DancingBugbear on