Skip to content

Baldur's Gate II and the $24.95 price point

I am very pleased beamdog is continuing the Baldurs gate saga into BG2 and its expansion. I myself plan on preordering BG2EE.

I have been following the news and announcement of preorder for the game on various gaming sites. One worrisome trend I am seeing is alot of negativity about the price point for the content, being $24.95. Alot of the same old tiresome arguments about the GoG and MOD option. The decade old game and engine. The questionable value on this enhanced version? But there seems to be a lot less people out defending BG2EE this time around.

Now I preordered BGEE immediately when it was offered at $17.99 (and completed twice). A discount was a nice incentive for early adopters of the game. So I am also a bit surprised that there is no discount what so ever this time around for preoders and additional $5.00. And nothing for those who already own BGEE?

The consensus I am reading is alot of people are just immediately dismissing it or responders seemingly ambivalent.

I just felt like putting this out here. And I look forward to playing BG2EE in November.

Comments

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited August 2013
    That is a good point revaar, I agree that the expansion is very substantial one. But I don't think the average joe gamer is aware of how much content is in it. Especially if they didn't play BG2 or the expansion. The talking point of 350,000 of new words added is a great but I'm not sure it is resonating with most people.

The early comments seem to just express negativity. Like on PCGAMER story or REDDIT.

Edit: Links
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/30/baldurs-gate-2-enhanced-edition-opens-to-the-world-on-november-15/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1lgu0e/baldurs_gate_2_enhanced_edition_coming_out/
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    I will wait until it gets 75% off on steam and buy it.
    Shandyr said:

I would suggest to discuss if the price is adequate or not AFTER BG2:EE has come out, and AFTER you have played it.

Of course not... How you discuss if the price is ok after you buy it? I'm, for example, will not buy for that price with so few new features, and still missing features for BG1 EE (cloud saves).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    the price point is abit high imo

youve got to remember to alot of people this is just a rerelease of a decade old game at the same price as alot of modern games

i think alot of people will just wait for sales
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    edited September 2013
    revaar said:

Think about it this way: BG2:EE also includes TOB. TOB is a big enough expansion that it is considered a third installation by some, hence the name of the well-known Trilogy mod. You're basically getting a game and a half (at least) for $25.

That argument doesn't really hold up since the whole thing only costs $9.99 on GOG. The real question is whether the extra content is good enough for the extra $15.

Also, most of the people interested in BG2:EE already own the original trilogy. So it basically amounts to paying $25 merely for the additional content.

That said, I don't have any problems with handing over my money for this. BG 2 has given me more hours of enjoyment than just about any game save perhaps Diablo 2. It's not like $25 is more than my typical bar tab. Basically, while I don't think it's a good deal, I don't think it's going to stop most fans (especially since we're older) from buying it.

Banex said:

Let's be honest who the hell doesn't own all the old BG games.Most of us on this forum do.I for one have been playing BG2 and mods while all the legal bullshit was going on.I'll still be buying the newer version when it comes out.

And the price,is there really a lot to grumble about for a game where the hours you'll put in more than compensate for the price.Let's be honest there's total and utter shite out there for twice the price.

Yes, but I don't buy the "utter shite out there" too.

My point is... $15-17 is the price I think it's fair for it... And I know it will be on sale eventually on steam... I would prefer to give the money to beamdog directly, but I will buy on a steam sale like 4-5 months after they launch it.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2013
    Remind me, how much did, say, ME3 or DA2 cost at launch? BEFORE all the DLCs, whereas BG2's "DLC", that being TOB, is included?

Still a very good deal. Of course, Joe Raging Fanboy won't appreciate that. I say that, of course, having been that guy many times.

Edit: Should add, not preordering. I'll buy shortly after launch, a day or two later. To avoid, you know, launch day glitches.
    Arcalian said:

Remind me, how much did, say, ME3 or DA2 cost at launch? BEFORE all the DLCs, whereas BG2's "DLC", that being TOB, is included?

Still a very good deal. Of course, Joe Raging Fanboy won't appreciate that. I say that, of course, having been that guy many times.

Edit: Should add, not preordering. I'll buy shortly after launch, a day or two later. To avoid, you know, launch day glitches.

Project Eternity will be launched on 2014 and it costs right now $29 to support it and you get the game when it launches. I think i'ts a better comparison.

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2013

Project Eternity will be launched on 2014 and it costs right now $29 to support it and you get the game when it launches. I think i'ts a better comparison.

So, four bucks less for a game we already KNOW is awesome. Still sounds like a good deal.

Post edited by Arcalian on
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2013

Personally, I think $24.95 is more than fair on a game that I'm going to spend 100+ hours on.

I agree with this statement. I will pay the full price knowing full well that I will be on it like I am now until 3am in the morning... I don't honestly care about additional features, so far I've been happy with what I've been given and honestly I have not even given some of the new NPCs a chance because I enjoy it the way it is. Some of the newest features are a blessing, even some of the really smaller ones, and the added graphics, etc. As much as people say, "'tis easier just to mod it." Then by all means do that but there are some of us out there that aren't going to do it, like in my case I'm just too lazy or paranoid that the mods might just ruin SOMETHING in the game to cause me nothing but grief which I shan't risk. I'll give it a risk SOME DAY just not today.

As for BG2:EE I am very much willing to pay full price whenever I get the chance to do so, if there's going to be a sale for it soon and I have full knowledge of that happening then I will be smart and wait for it. Because of it becoming available on STEAM I'm very happy that I can play and chat as I go with mates, play some of the newest features without having to through the whole hassle of getting all CDs out and then realize I'm going to need to swap between them or install all of them at once (considering 5 CD's for Baldur's Gate was a headache when you find one went missing and you discover it a week later behind your desk the whole time). I have been playing Baldur's Gate ever since I was 6 (or was it 8?) and even now I always somehow feel surprised and shocked whenever I go through it, it's just one of those games you miss and love to pieces.

Another bonus was multiplayer, now that's something I've had a good chuckle on with a few guys that are here on the forums or I nagged a few of my buddies into getting it as well. For now I'm doing what I've never done on Baldur's Gate 1 in my life was be evil and try to follow that route, AKA. Making sure my reputation stays low and be a prick to every NPC being that I meet. That includes drowning every single miner in that Iron Throne mine (but somehow only getting 800XP instead of a wopping 2kXP. What's up with that?) just for the sake of, "just because I can."
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, I'm afraid I don't really see the complaint. Even if you just view it as an expansion to the game you already have, $25 is a good price point. I mean, four new NPCs, 30 new areas, some absurd number of lines of dialog (I think it amounted to like 15-20% of the original total)? That's a full-blown expansion pack. Getting it for $25 seems... entirely reasonable.
  • Cimmerian1xCimmerian1x Member Posts: 32
    in this world if you really want to play a game you REALLY must find a way to actually pay for it folks!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2013
    There will be no paying for DLC or updates.

Enough said.

EDIT: Or, well ... there hasn't been so far. I dunno, we'll see.
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    edited September 2013
    Arcalian said:

So, four bucks less for a game we already KNOW is awesome. Still sounds like a good deal.

Project Eternity is a new game. New games tend to cost that much, if not more. BG2:EE is a very old game with a few enhancement. And yes, it's a great game, but we know that because we already played the hell out of it and likely already own the old version. As I said, I'll be buying it, but let's not pretend that this is a good deal.

Edit: I could be wrong, but the relatively high price may be to cover up for the losses during the whole legal mess. They probably need to price it at this amount in order to make a decent enough profit, which they would need in order to make updated versions of other IE games. Personally, I'm fine with that.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited September 2013
    $24.95, and I'm guessing that's US $ rather Aus $, seems reasonable to me, I think my GOG versions of the game were perhaps just. A couple of $ less.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    BG2 may be an old game but at this point they have had 15 or so people working on enhancing these games for almost 2 years now. Not to mention they have multiple partners taking their share of the pie. I really doubt Overhaul is making a huge profit.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2013
    I have no problem with the actual price, it's even a bargain if you ask me. Now days games are something about $50+ (being even $99+ easly when the title is a famous franchise). I was one of the people that in the past told that BG:EE was cheap and could be charged more, so i stand by my word as i still believe in that statement.

However, some incentive for people whom pre-ordered BG:EE would show a counterpart for our support to the company. Some people said in the past, pre-order was a way to save a copy of the CD/DVD of a game for the customer when exist the risk of not being able to purchase the product in the release date in reason of it being sold out.

Today in the virtual purchases, it's more a way to support a companny, to inject capital on it rather than reserve a copy for the release. So, a little benefit for people whom pre-order, specially people whom pre-ordered both BG:EE and BG2:EE would be well received. A $1 dollar bonus, a 2° key for the game in the plataform choosen by the buyer (pay 1 take 2, not something so terrible for a product with accessory costs as packing, CDs/DVDs, impress manuals...), an extra bonus game from a list of beamdog titles... well i don't know but the company could clearly valorize it's clients.

I'm saying this cos only the fact of purchase with Beamdog it's by itself an support, as steam tends to make real nice offers, as the 75% discount (BG:EE was at $4,99 for a time there).

To purchase with beamdog i have to use an international credit card and pay the cambio conversion fee.
    To purchase in steam i have many payment forms, including bank slip, i pay in the currency of my country and i probally can get the game with some astounting discount.
    Still i prefer to pre-order with you guys.

So to end what i mean here, make me feel special Beamdog, the price is ok, so if anyone complain on it they're just crying to bargain, but if the company allows me this suggestion, an extra game as a bonus would make a real difference here, more than that, they make propaganda. Fallout titles are $9,90 each, an very nice and old game, put the 1° as a bonus and instigates people to purchase the other sequences. King's Bounty, the legend (that i don't even know what it is) is being sold for $9,90, but the sequences value is something around $24,90, if people get the first as bonus and like it... well, that opens the chance for profit, no?

Atm my only intent with Beamdog is the purchase of the remake BG games and any other D&D game remade by the company (PS:T, IWD, ToEE, PoR...), what i suggest above is a chance to present your products.

But then, by my part, be assured that i will purchase BG2:EE with Beamdog, not steam, maybe not now (cos i'm a bit down with money atm) but eventually, take the suggestion by what it is, or do not take it at all, it's the company choice.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I agree with @revaar, that BG2EE includes ToB and also with the new content is nearly twice as big as BGEE so the slightly higher price does reflex that.
    Said that, lemme say that I'd still buy it even if it costed 40$.
  • KolonKuKolonKu Member Posts: 87
    Come on, waiting months just to get a game for 7 bucks less? It's like a kid's menu at McDonalds. I just don't get the reasoning.
  • Would it have been more fair to you if
    BG2:EE - SOA was $17.95 and
    BG2:EE - TOB is offered as a $7.00 DLC?

I like it the way it is now.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    $25 is still pretty cheap tbh.
    I was surprised to see the original game on sale for $20 (or $18 for preorders)