Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Dorn will be a pirate?.....!

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 21,998
There's been a discussion lately on the subject of how we will find Dorn, Neera and Rasaad in BG2:EE.

Today I've found a bombshell.

On the official site we read the following: "At the behest of his dark patron, Dorn Il-Khan plunders and defiles the Sword Coast." Many news sites just copied this text but...

Pocketgamer gives us the following:

"Four new characters will be available as IAPs on Android and iPad in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. There's a mysterious thief, a Wild Mage, a pirate, and a monk. Each of them has its own adventure to complete and its own style of play."

Maybe it's just a blunder. But maybe they have some inside information? And our strong blackguard has become a pirate and we can find him in the Sea's Bounty Tavern in the Docks District?

As a pirate, Dorn definetely can "plunder and defile the Sword Coast"...

Dorn, is that you?



image

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
SCARY_WIZARDKamigoroshiAristilliusStarflower2525DjimmyKolonKulolienNonnahswriter
«1

Comments

  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    Could just be an assumption made by the writer as you mention, but then again I feel it would be quite a fitting role for him and the part about plundering might just be an intended hint. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him as a pirate, maybe we'd see some more content in Brynnlaw. Always loved the look and feel of the place, as such it's a shame that we rush through it in ten minutes or so. Possibly even a third way to reach Spellhold with the help of his pirate friends? Probably not though.

  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    shawne said:

    Sounds like a misinterpretation of the info of the main page (ie: plundering a coast = piracy).

    This.

    SCARY_WIZARDRedGuard
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    He is just warming up for September 19th - international talk like a pirate day

    CuvCaptRory
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Why are people so obsessed with pirates?


    Just because they Aarrrr?

    TJ_HookerCaptRory
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 21,998
    shawne said:

    Sounds like a misinterpretation of the info of the main page (ie: plundering a coast = piracy).

    That's why I say maybe. In the same time, why not? It's an assumption, and a good one. It's even more interesting than finding Dorn, say, in the Copper Coronet.

    He can first appear like this:

    image

    @pixie359

    because pirates are badass:



    image





    image

    KamigoroshiKratokStarflower2525
  • SwordsNotWordsSwordsNotWords Member Posts: 147

    Maybe he'll get a parrot companion?

    Just imagine the interactions with Boo!

  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    I agree that it's more likely that the writer just assumed him to be a pirate based on the text rather than him having insider information. But I don't see why it wouldn't be a possibility if you think about it in the RP-sense (or any other sense for that matter).

    What options would a half-orc blackguard have in a mostly human city like Athkatla? I wouldn't expect him to be selling grapefruit at the promenade. Maybe he could have sided the Shadow Thieves, but then again he isn't much of a thief type I feel, and we already have companions involved with them. Or he could just be in the Copper Coronet drinking, fighting and waiting for you to hire him, but I'd think he would be more ambitious than that.

    There's also no lack of pirates in the region, with a few in Athkatla, some in a random cave, and of course a whole town full of them in Brynnlaw. It might not be so outlandish to think that he might have sided with some of them to get some plunder.

    Not saying that it's necessarily very likely that he is a pirate or that I would be disappointed if he wasn't, I'm sure he'll be an interesting companion in any case. But you know... why not?

    SwordsNotWordsJuliusBorisov
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Kratok said:

    Could just be an assumption made by the writer as you mention, but then again I feel it would be quite a fitting role for him and the part about plundering might just be an intended hint. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him as a pirate, maybe we'd see some more content in Brynnlaw. Always loved the look and feel of the place, as such it's a shame that we rush through it in ten minutes or so. Possibly even a third way to reach Spellhold with the help of his pirate friends? Probably not though.

    That would require a crew - Dorn has massive trust issues (as both his backstory and his in-game dialogue reveal). Pretty much the only person he might be willing to work with is CHARNAME, and that's if you're very careful about what you say to him.

    SwordsNotWordsneleotheszeQuartz
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Member Posts: 23
    Was Dorn maybe not always a pirate?

    Just glancing over his story it sounds like he made his way in Luskan, down by the "waterfront." After the split from his mother he seemed to be very much 'in that world' docks, cutlasses, sailors etc. He's been elsewhere, done other things, but at least some of his time might have been spent out on the high seas.

    Whether that's in his past or not it sounds like a cool way to bring him into the Amn story line. After doing his thing in Baldur's Gate and endearing himself to the locals, he had a choice between a life of piracy or the Flaming Fist jails. X amount of time later he docks in Athkatla, rinses and repeats.

    Kratok
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,198
    What's wrong with a little piracy? Orc's gotta make a living too, you know. Reavin' and plunderin', up and down the coast... sounds like a perfectly honest job to me.

    KamigoroshiJuliusBorisov
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    This strikes me as a somewhat understandable mistake from somebody who hasn't played BGEE yet. "Blackguard" is pronounced "Blaggard", which is often synonymous with "scoundrel", and there are references to him as a raider and plunderer.

    I can't see Dorn as a pirate. He's a heavy plate-wearing loner, he doesn't belong on a ship with a crew. And I don't see why his patron would bother sending him out to sea, where most goals to be accomplished are simply for personal gains of wealth.

  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    shawne said:

    Kratok said:

    Could just be an assumption made by the writer as you mention, but then again I feel it would be quite a fitting role for him and the part about plundering might just be an intended hint. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him as a pirate, maybe we'd see some more content in Brynnlaw. Always loved the look and feel of the place, as such it's a shame that we rush through it in ten minutes or so. Possibly even a third way to reach Spellhold with the help of his pirate friends? Probably not though.

    That would require a crew - Dorn has massive trust issues (as both his backstory and his in-game dialogue reveal). Pretty much the only person he might be willing to work with is CHARNAME, and that's if you're very careful about what you say to him.
    This.
    One of the first things Dorn talks about is that your companions might betray you. Which one you ask? With different party setups there's always at least a couple Dorn finds suspicious.
    I don't see him working well with a boat load of backstabbers. This time they wouldn't even need to frame him to get his share of the loot, just push him overboard.

  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    I kind of figured "The Sword Coast" refers to the region the game takes place in... on land. Not necessarily the shoreline of the area. I interpret that line as he basically goes about some good ol' fashioned one-half-orc pillaging of areas unable to raise any force that could stop him. Cause he's a jerk like that :D

    SCARY_WIZARDSwordsNotWords
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Very insightful. Dorn would be an awesome pirate. Love the idea. Maybe in his heart



    kiaiJuliusBorisovStarflower2525
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I don't like fantasy pirates. They always look like from the 17th century, no matter the clothing style of the setting around them. Robbing ships is what makes you a pirate, not wearing a tricorne and wielding a cutlass.

  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2013
    Calmar said:

    I don't like fantasy pirates. They always look like from the 17th century, no matter the clothing style of the setting around them. Robbing ships is what makes you a pirate, not wearing a tricorne and wielding a cutlass.

    ...

    Seriously dude?

    There. Just for you:

    image
    I don't care that it doesn't make that much sense, but the Hipster Barista is your attitude 100%.

    RedGuardDragonfolk2000JuliusBorisov
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 357
    "Four new characters will be available as IAPs on Android and iPad in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. There's a mysterious thief, a Wild Mage, a pirate, and a monk. Each of them has its own adventure to complete and its own style of play."

    So, when they say four new characters, they're actually referring to the four that *were* new in BG1? Well, I'm disappointed. I hope there'll be others.

  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Quartz said:

    Calmar said:

    I don't like fantasy pirates. They always look like from the 17th century, no matter the clothing style of the setting around them. Robbing ships is what makes you a pirate, not wearing a tricorne and wielding a cutlass.

    ...

    Seriously dude?

    There. Just for you:

    image
    I don't care that it doesn't make that much sense, but the Hipster Barista is your attitude 100%.
    Angry a little? You're breaking my heart.

    Perhaps I should also show some more enthusiasm for highly developed archetypes, then, like those of...

    ... every proper wizard, ...
    image

    ... every proper elf, or...
    image

    ... every proper drow:
    image

    Because everything else would be hipster stuff. :D

  • ForseForse Member Posts: 106
    To err is human, to ARR is pirate!

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,824
    edited September 2013
    I hate to intrude on a private argument but fantasy pirates always look like they are from the 18th century.

    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    element
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Maybe it's a subtle commentary that all people who download bg2:ee illegally are chaotic evil.

    Forse
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Calmar Your line of logic is a bit backwards. Straying from the norm is great, I never said anything against it. I was commenting on your complaining about people going with the norm. There's nothing wrong with you liking stuff that's different, but raining on everyone's parade for liking something that you deem mainstream and incorrect is annoying.

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 21,998
    And finally thanks to @LiamEsler‌ we have the ending for the story of Dorn the Pirate:

    Imoen: Have you ever thought about becoming a pirate, Dorn?

    Dorn: A pirate?

    Imoen: I can just see it now. "Arrr, me crewmen, burninate all the towns, in the name of me patron!"

    Dorn: Scouring coasts, burning, destroying, and pillaging all I come across?

    Imoen: Yeah!

    Dorn: No. Do not speak to me again.
    LiamEsler said:

    @Jenzafar‌ My favorite part of writing that dialog was that it was a forum reference. For a while people were - for some reason - predicting that Dorn had become a pirate. :D

    NonnahswriterJenzafarSwordsNotWords
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    THIS IS A THING? Time for a Imoen/Dorn playthrough.

Sign In or Register to comment.