Skip to content

What class did you play your very first time?

2»

Comments

• SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Ranger, cause I was one to nerd out over longbows :)
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    Fighter. Went sword and shield. Ran into Nimbul and thought 'I got this' I didn't get it. Not by a longshot -.-

Oops wrote Simbul the first time. Wouldn't stand a chance against her. Plus Elminster would probably stop helping me
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ah, I love how back in the days when we were young when BG was destroying us, and yet we kept on playing :) , to think about it now adays, if any other game was as brutal people would probably just give up
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    sarevok57 said:

ah, I love how back in the days when we were young when BG was destroying us, and yet we kept on playing :) , to think about it now adays, if any other game was as brutal people would probably just give up

There's definitely a learning curve not found in modern games today. There are a few exceptions but I can't find many games that pull me like bg did these days (and it isn't just nostalgia and age that's talking...well maybe a little age. I need to find a way to get my Dorian Grey on O.o)

But hey, at least there's a lot of people getting into BG these days. Just look at this forum. So, all hope is not lost ^_^ there are plenty of people out there who still appreciate a game that's Nintendo hard (see tv tropes)
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    First ever time I picked a ranger :) Always liked the idea of being a woodsman with a longbow and sword! Ranger is still my preferred class even now!!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited September 2013
    I played a Fighter-Mage called Gildor. I did it all with a walkthrough in hand (even the name I got from the walkthrough), as I was afraid I would get dissatisfied with the game if I found it to be too hard. But because of the walkthrough it became too easy and I stopped playing Vanilla when I got to chapter 5 and played Tutu ever since to be able to use SCS. Another reason was the muteness of my companions. NPC1Project was a great relief (still waiting for it's update to be released before I'll play BGEE).
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    The first time I played I was a female thief. Then Imoen showed up and I had a party that consisted of two female thieves. Then a wolf showed up and the party consisted of no female thieves ...
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the first time my sister ever played she was a Halfling female thief, and she joined up with imoen and the two of them killed the ogre that holds the girdle of piercing belt at level 1 ( ah bows and arrows)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    yeah, I would usually take care of him right there with bows. I try to explore entire areas before moving on
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 883
    I first tried to play a mage (probably an illusionist or conjuror). But he kept dying.

So I created a fighter, got him to second level, and then dualed him to a mage.

That was the first character I played all the way through. He was kind of a loser (to the extent that I remember him), but 500+ reloads later, he made it to godhood.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I played a fighter mage. I think the reason was that multi class was something that wasn't in a lot of prior d&d games. But that was 15? years ago so I might be misremembering
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I played a fighter mage. I think the reason was that multi class was something that wasn't in a lot of prior d&d games. But that was 15? years ago so I might be misremembering
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I played a fighter, because it was simple. Lots of hit points, lots of big swords, less dying. I only ever play mages now though. The way they are portrayed in d&d, (intelligent, clever people, in the pursuit of knowledge and power, much like a scientist) I find very attractive.
  • RangerSGRangerSG Member Posts: 22
    First time through was with a paladin. My first evil play through, many times later, was with a bard. I'd say pally is the one I prefer most. Or wizard.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I played bg2 for the first time. I was an elven cleric. Not even a kit, just a cleric. And I used darts. It was a SoA game only and there was a bug that normal darts were usable by clerics. Ofcourse I did not have proficiency but I had no idea. I just thought they were cool. Holy smite was my favourite spell and somehow, by sheer luck, I have killed Firkraag with it. ^^

I came to play bg1 way later, and I don't remember what class I was. Probably a cleric/mage or pure mage. (conjurer?) Played as a wild mage for most of my BGT runs later, cos it is fun. In BG:EE I've played wild mage, cleric/mage and weird mage to cleric or cleric to mage duals. :-) Yeah I like spells big time.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Very young and had no idea how to play the first time. Was told that Fighter was the easiest. Therefore played fighter because I had no idea what was going on.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    A fighter with min-max'd stats of course ;)
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    edited September 2013
    Shandyr said:

As a child I had that terrible pure black/white view on things... So uhm I guess I liked the idea of being the good pure hero and stuff like that.

Isn't this basically how the game handles morality? Actually, practically every video game with an alignment meter
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    edited September 2013
    baldurs gate was my very first D&D experience and i played a mage first time....because im an idiot like that :D but 10 years later after multiple computers (one actually blew up and melted my graphics card) i did it, i beat the game as a mage.....and in my circle of friends and roleplaying friend i'm the first person to do so and i still claim that anyone who beats BG1 as a mage is hardcore, so if you have your hardcore :D
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Mage. And like many others was traumatised by being brutalised by a wolf in the first area. lol.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    i played a fighter my first time through, since it's a pretty simple class to play and allowed me to learn the basics. After that, I've played through with every other class at least once over the years