Skip to content

Why You Should Play PS:T -- An Informative Rant

2»

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    lamaros said:

PS:T is full of walls of text from start to finish. It's perfectly reasonable to not like it.

I enjoyed PS:T, but I'm not going to replay it.

Pretty sure no-one here has claimed that it wouldn't be reasonable...

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited September 2013
    I convinced my doctor dad I was sick to stay home from school to play it on its release day. Absolutely loved it, but combat was a fair complaint. I disliked how all the npcs I brought along were melee and bunched together a lot. Nordom was great for that, but ignis creeped me out to much to bring him along.

Quite excited about Tides of Numenera. My gaming group has been playing the pnp and its a very fresh setting and game.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I have fond memories of playing it through, and maybe enough time has passed to play it again. It's a great world with great characters and a lot of the quests are interesting and challenging enough that they're far more adventure game than cRPG.

Of all the games I've played it's the one I've found most new content in by playing a character with different stats. A high Wisdom, Intelligence or Charisma will get you a lot of new dialogue options.

But the resolution now hurts my eyes, and every time I replay it I find the combat fairly horrible. Last time I tried I gave up in the Weeping stone catacombs due to the sluggish pace of combat.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    It's story is the only thing that trounces BG1 IMHO, prefer the combat and character of BG1. BG2 is even better then for me, I know the story isn't as deep but it just tied everything up and was just good; Plus the ending with Minsc in my party, well... The feels man.

But again, this is just my opinion. I'm glad we've got these games, BG and PS that is, it seems nothing made today will ever trump them.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited September 2013

One thing PS:T does have in its favour is that Sheena Easton, the Scottish pixie of pop, does the voice acting for one of the NPCs. That alone makes it worth giving it a go.

Annah is the best thing about PS:T. And Mort is the second best thing. :)

The rest of the game is decent, though I hate being stuck playing the predetermined Frankenstein. I think thats what annoyed me most about the game originally. Finally getting a Planescape game and not being able to create my own character in that setting (like in BG). It does look like we'll be getting more freedom in the next Torment though, so looking forward to it.

But yes worth playing at least once.

• lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    I still don't get why people like Annah.
  • BalgeronBalgeron Member Posts: 1
    mylegbig said:

The game has some replay value, but I wouldn't say a ton.

I disagree. In fact PS:T has more replay value then all the other IE games combined. It is the game that allows you to play the character in very different way and still have a reasonable motivation for your acts (unlike stupid boring dogooders). Also it has like 5 or 6 endings - don't read further if you don't want to be spoiled -

SPOILERS -

- normal battle, absorbtion/joining, many many final deaths - from Lothar, from Lady of Pain, becoming Silent King,

Also go play the version from GOG with restored content, it has a LOT of explanation to things which were not in the final release and developers didn't have enough time to put in. For instance - THE FINAL ending scene where you join the blood war is explained perfectly (I think Ravel and Fall from Grace do this in talks), also the reason WHY you became immortal. Or things like Trias the Plaguebringer, and that he wasn't chained there by Crust guards, but instead they found him when digging in mines and he unleashed plague on Crust (its like from mummy)

I am not sure if PS:T is best game ever made, but its definitely in first 3, maybe even the first.

• lamaroslamaros Member Posts: 139
    Are you having a laugh?
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Gave said:

I tried, mostly because of the godifying reviews. Still I found it fairly boring and hard to flash into. I had played fallout 2 way after its release as well, and I had no problem with gameplay or graphics, so I guess it wasnt about simply disliking the outdated tech about it.

For me a video game is defined primarily by the interaction. Presenting text over text over text ...over. is not really the interaction I was looking for ... The fact that I know there are fairly limited ideas in the text just makes it less attractive. I can fully appreciate, and enjoy a well designed Forum based RPG, due to the high chance of something awesome happening, sometimes even out of context. -- So it isnt really about reading and interacting with text either.

Interactions ARE in the wall of text because the engine has limitations. You can catch the arm of a PNJ inside a text if you have enough dexterity, mainly because they can't do that with this engine without dialogue mode (they use texts as a way to improve interaction with the world).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    lamaros said:

PS:T is full of walls of text from start to finish. It's perfectly reasonable to not like it.

I enjoyed PS:T, but I'm not going to replay it.

I don't find it that replayable, there seems to be a ton "hey you could make this guy say this!" but those choices don't really affect the rails of the main plot.