Skip to content

Best use of time stop

2»

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2013
    Haste, Shapechange into Mindflayer, Time Stop, bye bye Yaga Shura.
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    lunar said:

In time stop all of your attacks will hit, attack an enemy with melf's minute meteors. Or better, energy blades. When the time stop finishes, all of them will hit and possibly kill the target. (So much damage!)

Shapechanging into a mindflayer in time stop allows you to kill most enemies in a few hits by sucking their brains out.

A cleric/mage can get nasty via timestop+HARM combo. It will auto hit and bring even a dragon down to 1 hit point. (Provided the spell is not resisted via magic resistance or turned down by spell protections) There is no saving throw.

Then before casting harm, cast doom.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Time stop + shapeshift mind flayer. Puts down just about everything in the game in one round.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I gotta go with 'Drawing a silly face on Edwin and then putting the charcoal in Minsc's hand'. Because wackiness would definitely ensue.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Time Stop + Robe of Vecna + Improved Alacrity + Spell Sequencer with Greater Malison and 2 Ice Storm + Spell Trigger charged with 3 Cloudkill, 3 Death Fog, 3 Disintegrate, 3 Flesh to Stone, or some combination of those.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Time Stop + Robe of Vecna + Improved Alacrity + ...

You meant, the entire spell book then? it's possible for edwin with 2 time stop and 2 improved alcharity. Not really necessary and useful, but it's really nice to see about 50 magics working at the same time after the end of the 2° time stop.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Time Stop + Robe of Vecna + Improved Alacrity + Spell Sequencer with Greater Malison and 2 Ice Storm + Spell Trigger charged with 3 Cloudkill, 3 Death Fog, 3 Disintegrate, 3 Flesh to Stone, or some combination of those.

Seems an awful lot of "Pluses" to set up in advance.

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Well, "+Robe of Vecna + Improved Alactricty" means that my cleric/mage is already wearing the robe and he casts Time Stop followed by Improvved Alacrity. Given the relatively short duration of Time Stop there isn't time to be really fancy with it. No, @kamuizin, I never burn through my entire book--I try to keep a balance of offensive and defensive spells when possible.

Against more powerful opponents, my cleric mage will Time Stop + Improved Alacrity + Holy Power (on himself) + Magic Resistance + Pierce Shield (some creatures are immune to Lower Resistance) + Harm + physical attack.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Best time is to use it against those damn liches. Throw it right back at them. Timestop followed with potion of speed, with a +3 or +4 sword and they'll be done for.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Best time is to use it against those damn liches. Throw it right back at them. Timestop followed with potion of speed, with a +3 or +4 sword and they'll be done for.

But spells don't take effect until time stop ends, and any physical protection will only be removed after time stop. Taking in fact a non-invisible opponent normally always trigger improved mantle on lichs from chain contingency i don't know if it's possible to kill them in melee during time stop, unless you remove the spell protections before cast time stop.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Oh also in time stop a mage can whack a buffed up target with Staff of Magi, it will dispel all of the spells on the target. Provided the target is not protected from magical weapons, ofcourse. But even then, if you cast time stop after 2 rounds the pro magic weapons will wear off within time stop (it lasts 4 rounds) and you can whack with SoM to dispel all stoneskins, pro element, mirror image, improved invisibility, etc. protections on target. I used this against dragons, normally a mage can not touch a dragon with the staff, in a time stop he can.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

My favourite use of time stop is when a particular enemy throws it at me:

When you walk in on the lich lurking in the crypt behind the bar in the Gate District, he starts throwing all kinds of fancy spells at you, including Time Stop. But if you keep walking straight back into the bar when he starts casting you can ignore what he is doing and he will never get round to actually targeting you with offensive spells. This gives your thief plenty of time to stroll in, collect Daystar and stroll out again. The lich is so busy gating in something nasty that he doesn't even notice you doing it.
    unless tactics and you can't run from liches because doors are stuck
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I saw a playthrough where someone used Time Stop on his Fighter/Thief to get a bajillion attacks in with Greater Whirlwind.