Skip to content

In which part of Faerûn would you like to settle down?

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
As we all should know by now; the continent of Faerûn is *huge*! It has many great, fascinating and terrible places. But even the greatest of veteran adventures needs to retire someday, become homely, and embrace the more simpler joys of life. Now, I'm really curious where all of you guys would like to relocate, if giving the chance, and settle down somewhere within the Forgotten Realms!

Within the poll I've listed the ten main geographic and political regions of the continent, together with their respective points of interest.
And for those people without Volo's ever popular guide books of the Realms, I have a handy link to round it all up as well:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Geography

Me? I'd settle down in the northernmost part of Northwest Faerûn: Frozenfar!
It's located right north of the Spine of the World and the region has such lovely, arctic weather to boot. It's like my Greenland vacation all over again! :3
  1. In which part of Faerûn would you like to settle down?92 votes
    1. Northwest Faerûn: Including the High Forest, Icewind Dale, Mithral Hall, Neverwinter, the Silver Marches, the Sword Coast and Waterdeep.
      30.43%
    2. North Faerûn: Including Anauroch, the Dalelands, the Moonsea, the Ride, and the Vast.
        7.61%
    3. Northeast Faerûn: Including Damara, the Great Dale, Impiltur, the Hordelands, Narfell, Rashemen, Thesk, and Vaasa.
        1.09%
    4. West Faerûn: Including Amn, Baldur's Gate, Calimshan, Evereska, Lantan, the Moonshae Isles, the Nelanther Isles, Nimbral, Tethyr, and the Western Heartlands.
      39.13%
    5. Interior Faerûn: Including Chondath, Cormyr, the Dragon Coast, Hlondeth, the Pirate Isles, Sembia, Sespech, Turmish, and the Shining Plains.
      10.87%
    6. East Faerûn: Including Aglarond, Altumbel, Chessenta, Chondalwood, Mulhorand, Murghôm, Thay, and Unther.
        3.26%
    7. Southwest Faerûn: Including Chult, Lapaliiya, Samarach, Tashalar, and Thindol.
        0.00%
    8. South Faerûn: Including the Border Kingdoms, Dambrath, the Great Rift, Halruaa, the Lake of Steam, and the Shaar.
        1.09%
    9. Southeast Faerûn: Including the Shining Lands (Durpar, Estagund, Var the Golden), Luiren, Ulgarth, and Veldorn.
        1.09%
    10. Underdark: Including Ched Nasad, Dunnspeirrin, Gracklstugh, Llurth Dreir, Maerimydra, Menzoberranzan, and Sshamath.
        5.43%

Comments

• MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    What time period are we talking? During Baldurs Gate (DR 1370ish) or in 4th edition after they ruined it with the spellplague and all ?

Personally I would like to see old Netheril, magic without limits til Karsus went and screwed it up.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Ched Nasad, definitely. The Drow rule supreme!
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @MERLANCE You are free to choose the time frame in which you'd like to live in. As long as it happens before the 4th edition that is. Mainly because I have no idea how many countries will bite the dust with the spellplague, the returning Abeir and whatever else happens to the beauty of Faerûn and thus would render the poll useless. :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I just pretend 4th edition never happened and that all is right in the realms. So then yeah, Netheril which is in the North, where the Anauroch came to be. 13th level wizard spells ftw!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Who am I kidding in a world like Abeir-Toril I could never settle down :p
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    I like the northern climate, and I love the ocean. Easy choice.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The frozen north.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    I think most people would vote for the area of the Realms in which best corresponds with their real world home.

Moonshae Isles/Western Heartlands for me - Britain & North Western Europe.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I like the beach, and I like a little night life, so sign me up for Baldur's Gate.

My real world home is like Mordor. Nothing here but depression and misery.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Cadelkeep. Wonder if my iPad is a tome of great value to donate to the library?
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Shadowdale for me. :)
  • ChinookUTChinookUT Member Posts: 32
    I'd have to go with Orvyltar, Ulgarth.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Aglarond! Half-elves. <3
    Either that, or anywhere Deneir is worshipped in great numbers...
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Up north where the winters are hard. Am Scandinavian and would feel most like home
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I don't know... Every place seems to get screwed equally bad on a regular basis...
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The place that has no monsters, no insane wizards, no rogue adventuring parties, no interplanar invasions, no ancient curses, no omnipresent thieves guild, no dictator government and no rampaging groups of bandits.

OH WAIT
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...I just want to go home...
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    edited September 2013
    I only picked NW Faerun b/c I'm most familiar w/ it. I figure once I get settled down and adapt to the new environment I'd gather my party and venture forth to check out the other areas.
  • Urd1enUrd1en Member Posts: 84
    Baldur's Gate forever!
    Three old kegs tavern.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Icewind Dale! Specifically, Kuldahar.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I noticed btw that The Sword Coast is under Northwest Faerun, but Baldur's Gate is under West Faerun, despite Baldur's Gate being in the Sword Coast.

I am confused!
    The Sword Coast is both part of Northwest Faerûn and West Faerûn. It stretches out from the western parts of the Spine of the World all the way south to the Chionthar river near Baldur's Gate. There are many other such geographic cross locations in Faerûn as well, just like in the real world.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @Drugar - The Sword Coast is a massively long coast line. To be more accurate 'The Sword Coast North' is more apart of North Western Faerun, whereas the 'Lower Sword Coast' is a part of the Western Heartlands and Western Faerun.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Settle down? I am an adventurer. I will never rest while there are dragons to be slain, maidens to be rescued and dungeons to be looted.

So you'll find me in the Belching Dragon, Nashkel, boring people with tales of my exploits. "Did I ever tell you about the time I killed Sarevok ..."
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    A struggling writer plying his art on the Sword Coast. How does Volo's low-brow garbage become so popular while I live in squalor?!
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Everywhere... nowhere... and also beyond. Usual stuff.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    north faerun but more specifically high forest
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2013
    is there a Town in Faerun that doesn't have a dungeon connected to it in some way?

because if there is that would be my choice
    Huh... no one wants to live in Southwest Faerûn? Surely didn't expected that.
    I always thought that their dinosaurs would enjoy a certain popularity amongst players. :/