Skip to content

No complaints

I have no complaints- I'm just happy to play BG on my MAC and that the games have been given new life. I don't care about ANY of the issues. The absolute joy I receive from playing BG EE surpasses all that.

All I want now is to play through with a character from 1 to 2 and if you find it in your hearts to bless us with 3 I might just cry.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I also concur, lots of frustration from other players, but im having a blast with what we got, already beat bgee like 30 times or so, so far, many more hundreds ( or possibly thousands to come :) )
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    @blue

Amen to that.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    No complains equals no constructive critique. No constructive critique equals no improvement. So I rather have some complains.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    A product is never perfect and there's always room for improvement. And in the case of BG:EE there's a lot of room for improvement. Not to say that I don't enjoy the game very much already.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @ZelgadisGW @Erg
    One can suggest improvements ("hey, this needs some refining") without complaining ("hey, this sucks, you suck, you owe me an apology for how much you suck").
    @alnair
    You have wrong definition of "complaining".
    @ZelgadisGW
    I'm not saying that every complaint here has been voiced in that way, but it's definitely a frequent occurrence.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

@alnair
    You have wrong definition of "complaining".

Yes, complaining and insulting are two very different things.

Besides
    blue said:

I don't care about ANY of the issues.

I was referring specifically to this.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    @ZelgadisGW I like to think of these things as "issues". I've raised one or two on the bugs forum, but have enjoyed playing BG:EE and haven't run into anything gamebreaking.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    I have complaints.

The crackling sound that occurs in the movie scenes is really frigging irritating. Dunno why it happens but it forces me to skip the movies. It was a bug introduced in like the 3rd patch - the one that changed the intro movie.

Lol.

But @Corvino is right. There's nothing really game breaking cropped up for me.
    There might not be anything game breaking, but there are surely some things that needs attention. The fact that full support for non-english languages was advertised before release and it still wasn't implemented is not a small issue. I wait for about a year now and it's still not there - I cannot enjoy the game to the fullest extent because of that. Also, again, there is still no point in making spear-proficent fighter, since there is no viable spears choices in BG1. Importing sounds for your character requires workaround, in comparison to original. Portrait browsing is still a pain. You know, things like that. Things that shouldn't be present in Enhanced Edition, I believe.

Point is, there should be complains or negative feedback in order to make devs keep going. I enjoy BG:EE, I really do, but I'm not going to close my eyes on some imperfections that can be fixed. Because I'm a fan.
    @ZelgadisGW

No one is saying there isn't issues to be dealt with. I think what people are saying is in essence "its more frigging Baldur's Gate! Why are you bitching?" lol.
    @fitscotgaymer
    You know, that kind of approach reminds me of fanboyism. To think that everybody should be 100% pleased with current state of events. No extremes are good at all.

Point is, there should be complains or negative feedback in order to make devs keep going. I enjoy BG:EE, I really do, but I'm not going to close my eyes on some imperfections that can be fixed. Because I'm a fan.

OK, so maybe we really disagree on the definition of "complaint". To me, negative feedback is not complaining.

alnair said:

OK, so maybe we really disagree on the definition of "complaint". To me, negative feedback is not complaining.

I'm not a native English speaker, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the definition of complain is "to express dissatisfaction".

So if you have a negative feedback about something and you're not complaining, doesn't that mean that you are satisfied even when things don't work as they should?

@alnair is that what you meant?
    @Erg I'm not a native English speaker either, and probably the meaning of "complain" I was thinking about is similar to "whine about something". Your definition is more to the point, though.

Anyway, one could argue that it's possible to be satisfied with the overall state of BG:EE, while at the same time having some specific negative remarks. Which is exactly how I feel.
    edited September 2013
    @ZelgadisGW

I disagree.

It isn't fanboyism. Or rather not in this case. It is a degree of severity thing.

Take for example the fan reaction to Mass Effect 3. After two awesome games, and a library of brilliant games, Mass Effect 3 is a thoroughly mediocre game (worse than Dragon Age 2 IMO).
    It has a terrible storyline, it was and is still probably the buggiest Bioware game i've ever played, it rendered Mass Effect 2 entirely pointless because it almost completely ignores the second game in its OWN TRILOGY, it doesn't have a proper introduction, it had a batshit insane ending that they rendered down to merely "meh" with the EC DLC, they stripped out a LOT of the elements typically associated with RPGs - to me this game is an Action 3rd Person shooter not an Action-RPG and it's not even a very good Action 3rd Person Shooter.

It's not bad, there are some truely excellent moments in this game. But overall it's a massive disappointment of a game.
    And a lot of people took that view. A lot of people thought "this is utter crap! wtf is this?!" And having that viewpoint was completely legitimate as the game is so so bad compared to it's predecessors; but when folk began bringing up how bad this game actually is we got a whole host of people including a crapton of gaming "journalists" deriding the gamers who disliked ME3 and what Bioware did with it (legitimately) as "entitled idiots". And to me these people? They were guilty of "fanboyism".

Compare that to the situation with BGEE.

BGEE is a great game. It's Baldur's Gate of course its a great game. None of the problems are game breaking unlike with ME3. Nothing thats wrong with the game or with Overhaul could possibly (presuming you are a reasonable person) make you feel like you never want to play Baldur's Gate again (unlike how many people couldn't bring themselves to play Mass Effect AT ALL because of ME3).
    If we had a situation where like with ME3 the game was just broken on release, where everyone reached a certain point in the game and could no longer play because of a bug, or because of a broken story element, or a plot device that makes no sense then yes saying something like "it's baldur's gate! why are you complaining?" would indeed be "fanboyism".

However what issues there are are being worked on, and can be worked around. Nothings broken.

And while these issues should certainly be discussed, it should be a in a reasonable way so that the "come on guys it's more baldur's gate!" response wouldn't be necessary. So no in this case I don't believe it's fanboyism.
    Cerevant said:

In exchange, I'm going to ask that you stop insulting people who are satisfied with the game.

@Cerevant

What insult? In this discussion?

@ZelgadisGW

I disagree.

It isn't fanboyism. Or rather not in this case. It is a degree of severity thing.

Take for example the fan reaction to Mass Effect 3. After two awesome games, and a library of brilliant games, Mass Effect 3 is a thoroughly mediocre game (worse than Dragon Age 2 IMO).
    It has a terrible storyline, it was and is still probably the buggiest Bioware game i've ever played, it rendered Mass Effect 2 entirely pointless because it almost completely ignores the second game in its OWN TRILOGY, it doesn't have a proper introduction, it had a batshit insane ending that they rendered down to merely "meh" with the EC DLC, they stripped out a LOT of the elements typically associated with RPGs - to me this game is an Action 3rd Person shooter not an Action-RPG and it's not even a very good Action 3rd Person Shooter.

It's not bad, there are some truely excellent moments in this game. But overall it's a massive disappointment of a game.
    And a lot of people took that view. A lot of people thought "this is utter crap! wtf is this?!" And having that viewpoint was completely legitimate as the game is so so bad compared to it's predecessors; but when folk began bringing up how bad this game actually is we got a whole host of people including a crapton of gaming "journalists" deriding the gamers who disliked ME3 and what Bioware did with it (legitimately) as "entitled idiots". And to me these people? They were guilty of "fanboyism".

Compare that to the situation with BGEE.

BGEE is a great game. It's Baldur's Gate of course its a great game. None of the problems are game breaking unlike with ME3. Nothing thats wrong with the game or with Overhaul could possibly (presuming you are a reasonable person) make you feel like you never want to play Baldur's Gate again (unlike how many people couldn't bring themselves to play Mass Effect AT ALL because of ME3).
    If we had a situation where like with ME3 the game was just broken on release, where everyone reached a certain point in the game and could no longer play because of a bug, or because of a broken story element, or a plot device that makes no sense then yes saying something like "it's baldur's gate! why are you complaining?" would indeed be "fanboyism".

However what issues there are are being worked on, and can be worked around. Nothings broken.

And while these issues should certainly be discussed, it should be a in a reasonable way so that the "come on guys it's more baldur's gate!" response wouldn't be necessary. So no in this case I don't believe it's fanboyism.

@fitscotgaymer

So you don't like ME3 and some people likes it and defends it and you consider them fanboys.

You like BGEE and defend it, but people that don't like it should not consider you a fanboy.

It looks to me that you believe it is your personal taste that should dictate who is a fanboy and who isn't.

Mind you, I'm not saying you are a fanboy nor I'm insulting you, I'm just commenting on the logic of your post.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    If a consumer purchases a product that he/she is displeased with, it is appropriate for that customer to voice dissatisfaction. The argument that another consumer is happy with said product does not invalidate this dissatisfaction. While I'm 'over it' regarding some issues, I did pre-pay for a product (BG:EE) with a published delivery date (which was subsequently not met) - one example where I feel fully justified in 'complaining', as you would put it.

This is not a mod being produced by volunteers or whatnot. It is a product being produced by professionals.

Anyway, the forums are an open communication method and people have to take the good with the bad. The developers get plenty of sunshine and roses comments, but that does not mean that criticisms are unwarranted. My current pet peeve was the intimation that the new renderer and patch that fixes bugs introduced by the enhancing operations was all but ready to go and that the legal dispute with Atari was the hold-up; the patch was not (and still is no) ready. I feel completely justified in pointing this out (and being dissatisfied).

I cannot change the past, nor can I do anything to hasten delivery of the patch, fixes or BG2:EE. What I can do is hold off on my purchase of BG2:EE (or not buy it at all). Or I can alternately decide that, dissatisfactions aside, I'm willing to purchase or pre-purchase BG2:EE. I guess what I'm saying is that it comes down to choices and whatnot, but that criticisms and complaints are warranted in many cases (as are compliments and praise).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    If I had a power, I'd promote @Dee 's post so that it stays in the "Best of" section for a long time.

"We're committed; that much isn't going to change any time soon" - it's golden indeed.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @fitscotgaymer

Actually, I like ME3 nearly in its entirety up until those last ten or so minutes. Very close to the end of a DLC + EC run, so I'll see how that goes. Aside from the wonky gun balance (Scimitar shotgun and Revenant LMG nerfs in particular), ME3 was very much a gameplay improvement over both previous titles, melding the RPG with the shooter better than ME2 while maintaining the fast-paced viscerality found there, and re-orienting the game toward RPG while leaving out a lot of useless minutiae from ME1, where melee combat was worthless and some skills provided negligible numerical benefits.

And, aside from some of the animations being way over-the-top in DA2, I also found that to be a very excellent game. I missed my two-handed axe animations having the weight and heft they did in DAO, but I quickly got over that when I immersed myself in the character-driven fantasy narrative I've always wanted.

But, hey, that's just one "fanboy's" opinion, I guess.
    atcDave said:

I would also read his thread as a direct counter to some of the extreme self important overly-entitled belly aching that has occurred elsewhere on this forum.

I believe this captures the intent of the thread perfectly. There's a lot of vitriol and entitlement intermingled with some of the negative feedback, particular in the realm of pricing for BG2EE, and this thread is meant to buffer that and show the devs some love.

There's a lot of vitriol and entitlement intermingled with some of the negative feedback, particular in the realm of pricing for BG2EE, and this thread is meant to buffer that and show the devs some love.

I don't know. It looks to me more like the opposite.

Yes, there are some complaints, even some occasional hating and trolling on this board, but they come mostly from the same few people. The overwhelming majority of people in this board are showing mainly positive feedback. Just consider, for instance, the OP, he already got (at the moment of my writing, likely much more at the moment of your reading) 12 likes and 11 agrees.