Skip to content

Good bastard sword?

Can someone recommend me bastard sword? Accidentally I clicked TWICE at bastard sword instead of long sword. So now Ajantis is almost useless with, btw. great, Visconia +2 :( Sad, this is one of the best swords in the game. Can somebody recommend smt instead?

Comments

• dibdib Member Posts: 384
    The only good ones is a plain +1 Bastard Sword and Kondar which is also a +1 sword, except when fighting shape-shifters you get a +4 bonus.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Don't you get a really good bastard sword toward the end of Dorns quest? The problem is Ajantis and Dorn will kill each other long before then.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    You can steal a Bastard Sword +1 from one of the chests in the Beregost Smithy (make sure you do it at night time). Ohh I know its not a particularly legal thing to do, but these bandits have to be stopped (just don't tell Ajantis how you acquired it hehe).

Otherwise Kondar (which only really varies from the +1 bastard sword when it comes to shapeshifters) is the best you are likely to find. As @Delvarian pointed out you get a good bastard sword at the end of Dorn's quest. Unfortunately those two don't get along very well.

That said Ajantis should already have a single point in proficiency to two handed swords. That might be an alternative going forward, especially if you can give it specialization and later get two-handed weapon style.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Dorn's quest has ironically the best sword for Ajantis. I'd probably get the +1 Bastard Sword from the Smithy until Cloakwood. As soon as you can access Baldur's Gate, pick up Dorn, go to Nashkel (Dorn probably starts his quest dialogue, if not, just go directly to the map east of the mines), kill Kryll, travel to bridge map, trigger Simmeon encounter. You can do Dorn's quest really fast and have a good chance he and Ajantis won't fight in the short time. After the Simmeon fight, Dorn asks if you want to keep him around anyway, so you can just dismiss him there.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    edited October 2013
    You'll have to make do with +1 Bastard Swords in BG1, which still is perfectly OK by BG1 standards. Keeping the pips you put in Bastard Sword will pay off in BG2, although you will have to be patient.
  • You'll have to make do with +1 Bastard Swords in BG1, which still is perfectly OK by BG1 standards. Keeping the pips you put in Bastard Sword will pay off in BG2, although you will have to be patient.

It sounds like the pips in Bastard Sword are on Ajantis, so it isn't going to pay off in BG2.

For a variety of reasons.

That said, Bastard Swords are a pretty good choice in BG2. You can pick up a magical one before you even leave Chateau Irenicus, and there are a couple of nice ones in the Underdark. Or you can pop into Watcher's Keep for a couple more (including Purifier, for the Paladin who wants to use his off-hand, but just doesn't feel right without a class-specific holy sword).

• BolekBolek Member Posts: 60
    edited October 2013
    Hmm... @Mikemasters could help me to change prof points. Maybe this is an option? Can anybody show me Dorn's sword stats? :) I mean sword from dorn's quest
  • It's a +1 Bastard Sword, but gets a +2 damage bonus, provides immunity to poison (be nice if you could get that before Cloakwood, eh?) and can cast Detect Illusion once per day.

Another thing of note in BG1 is that both Kondar and the Sword of Balduran are bastard swords and can harm Karoug, so having a bastard sword wielder on werewolf island is very handy.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Kaigen said:

For a variety of reasons.

Knowing exactly what you're referring to tickles me.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Albruin+1 Bastard Sword, Poison Immunity, 1/day Dispel Invisibility.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Ditch Ajantis, pick up Dorn and complete his story arc, then ditch Dorn and pick up Ajantis again.
  • BolekBolek Member Posts: 60
    still, Varscona +2 beats this sword stick...
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    yes, that Albruin +1 (immunity to poison, +2 dam, detect illusion 1/day - Simmeon Dorn quest final b4 BG)
    .. is kinda nice!

i plan right now to get Coran with 1 point in BS, for his last proficiency point (Thief lvl8).. just to be able to finish the game with 1 NPC able to yield it correctly.. and the other one +3 against shapeshifters can be good too.. + Balduran later)
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Kaigen said:

You'll have to make do with +1 Bastard Swords in BG1, which still is perfectly OK by BG1 standards. Keeping the pips you put in Bastard Sword will pay off in BG2, although you will have to be patient.

It sounds like the pips in Bastard Sword are on Ajantis, so it isn't going to pay off in BG2.
    Ah, sorry. Somehow I thought OP meant that both CHARNAME and Ajantis had pips in bastard sword.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    sunset00 said:

yes, that Albruin +1 (immunity to poison, +2 dam, detect illusion 1/day - Simmeon Dorn quest final b4 BG)
    .. is kinda nice!

i plan right now to get Coran with 1 point in BS, for his last proficiency point (Thief lvl8).. just to be able to finish the game with 1 NPC able to yield it correctly.. and the other one +3 against shapeshifters can be good too.. + Balduran later)

FYI, Coran won't get a proficieny point for Thief lvl 8. Fighter/Thieves only get proficiency points for fighter levels.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited October 2013
    EE Keeper his proficiency in bastard swords to long swords. Or go with those bastard swords that everybody was talking about.
  • DancingBugbearDancingBugbear Member Posts: 118
    edited October 2013
    Once in BG2, bastard swords are probably the most interesting weapon, if not the most effective. They have more special effects than other weapons, and more special special ones at that. So if you're interested in bastard swords, give the slots to the main character, or have the mild, somewhat particular selection in the original package.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited October 2013
    @AstroBryGuy ;
    arf, you might be right.. damn it! I will have noone to be able to use that one correctly in that party then.. or i'll have to go back to pick up Ajantis where i left him (Friendly Arm Inn).. but near lvl 5 if i remember.. though would be a good reason to do the last parts/'dlcs' if only for him) ; all my other party members will be max out already i fear.. i wonder how far above 161000xp i could go with my charname though, now..! might be possible to replace Rasaad (even lvl 8) by Ajantis just for the last parts, though that one really begins now to be very capable on his own with his darts and few improvements/gears (can use the 'wands of heaven' for exemple..when yeslick can't /int..for exemple..etc), but well..will see).

btw, in games, the 1/day ability is well 'dispel invisibility' (the in-game stats indicate disp. invisibility, k) ).

choices..)

PS;
    or just keep it in an inventory slot just for the dispel invi. bonus and/or anti poison if necessary..possible too/

PS2:
    BTW.. all the possible bastard swords in BG2 vanilla (not so many too..but big shapeshifter/undead specials + first good ones relatively quick to get then though!) ; http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/bastardswords.html
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    In BG2 + TOB you can get a +3 bastard sword quickly if you're willing to do the first floor of Watcher's Keep. It's not too hard for a mid-level party and has quite a few nice items including a unlimited ammo quivers, an ammo case and a few decent weapons.