Skip to content

Help with a PC~

IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
Not sure if this is appropriate for the Forums or for Off-Topic... Feel free to delete it if I am and apologises if I'm breaking any rules for doing this. ._.

Anywho, anyone out there who is a Computer Tech? As in, knows what to get to build a Gamer's PC? ._.
As I require a PC to play games but have no knowledge on where or what parts to acquire.

Building it I can manage, doing everything else is where I'm seriously struggling! ;-;

Thanks in advance to any kind souls out there~

~Tubby~

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    http://www.newegg.com/ Newegg is your friend.
    You will need a mid to high end graphics card. At least 4Gigs of RAM. A decent chipset and motherboard and a power supply to power all of that.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What is your budget and intended usage? Only gaming?
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    There are a few companies out there who will build gaming PCs to your desired specs. They're usually not that much more expensive than buying the parts yourself. And they're not going to forget a power supply or run out of cables ;)

pcadvisor.co.uk sometimes have group reviews of built PCs at various price ranges. I had a look through there when I bought my last desktop.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I recently did my first build :) go to newegg as @Com_Solufein mentioned. Everything u need is there. They've got combo deals and sales, but for combos check every item in the list. Try to get an intel processor as they are better than amd for gaming purposes, and I would recommend an nvidia gpu. When u have everything be sure to get a strong enough power supply for it, and probably some extra room for upgrades. Personally not being a graphics freak I went all out on processor rather than gpu, but whether u get dual or quad (don't need much more) it should have strong individual cores as some games limit the cores actually used. In the end my computer runs high on most games and cost a total of about $1000.

You should have:
    Gpu
    CPU
    Case
    Motherboard
    Storage device
    Power supply
    Disc drive
    Ram
    OS
    Keyboard+mouse (there are some nice gaming ones if u want to spend more money, like my mouse as additional buttons to configure controls to)
    Monitor
    If monitor has no speakers u will need speakers or headset of some kind

Then u are good to go :) I think that is all.....
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited October 2013
    Considering OpenGL (If you plan to play BG:EE and BG2:EE): Avoid nVidia. AMD has best compatibility. If you consider DX9 games, still AMD. nVidia GTX500 has a BIOS flaw (Default core voltage is too low) which makes the GPU unstable under shader-intense usage.

Considering CPU: Intel Core i7. AMD has power for multiple threads, yes, but most games are still single-threaded and that is where Intel still excels. This requires a Socket 1155 Mainboard.

RAM: DDR3-1333, 4 GB minimum and maximum. More than 4 GB are still a waste because most games are still x86 to ensure WinXP compatibility.

Storage: A 500GB+ HDD on which you use your OS (Win7 recommended). Optionally get an additionally 128 GB+ SSD on which you install your games. This avoids loading lags midfight.

Power supply: Minimum 50 A @ 12V, the more the better. Avoid PSUs without amperage data.

Disc drive: DVD still recommended. Hardly any game released on Blu-ray

Monitor: 1680x1050 or 1920x1080, 120Hz preferred. Use VSync if you get a 120Hz.

Speaker vs. Headset: Headset recommended, especially in-ear ones. Your neighbors will thank you.
    Post edited by AendaeronBluescale on
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    For headsets, as long as you get decent quality headphones with closed backs you can have great quality, minimal outside noise and little sound leak.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD202s that were pretty cheap and give very good sound quality and cut outside noise as well as wearing earplugs.
    CrevsDaak
    Addendum: If you use WiFi 2.4 GHz, avoid wireless keyboards and mice. They also use 2.4GHz which may interfere with your WiFi network.
    CrevsDaak
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    sorry when i was asking these questions the guys i talked to recommended nvidia gpu. i have an amd simply because it was among a huge combo deal that had everything as i wanted it, so i took and it saved almost $200 on the combo itself, then more from each item's sale. what is nvidia better for in gpu then? they are professionals so i think they would find nvidia to be better somewhere.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    Ah... Ah... So many words and I have no idea what any of it means. :3

Gosh, I'm helpless. ;~;
    Better go check out these websites then. ._.
    Dankechu everyone~ (Even if I am just as clueless as before. xD)

~Tubby~
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

Anywho, anyone out there who is a Computer Tech?

I build all my own computers, as well as advise on a professional level.

As in, knows what to get to build a Gamer's PC?

This is a tricky one. Providing you with a list of hardware is all well and good, but one must know what your budget is before making suggestions. Could you give an estimate?

(Win7 recommended)

Just seconding this. :D
    Icecreamtub
    Lemme just go inbox yhuuuuu Panda! o.o

Also, Win7 always and forever. Can't be using any other Windows! ;-;
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    edited October 2013
    From what I read here, don't forget to buy a decent CPU cooler, the stock ones are usually trash and very loud. Further @AendaeronBluescale post is pretty complete, just adding some things from personal experience.

I myself would definitely install your OS on the SSD as well, everything just response snappier (even your browser and page loading due to quicker caching). SSD's just excel in working with a lot of small files. You can also boot your pc in under 5 seconds.

Further for a gaming pc buy a big case, not the standard small ATX one. This makes working in it and replacing/upgrading things so much easier and should improve airflow.

There's a lot of love on win 7, but do keep in mind windows 8.1 is around the corner which will have a lot of tweaks for Desktops and in a year or so most people will probably be using it. (This is just a trend based prediction, I haven't actually touched win 8 yet).

Also plan ahead. Buy a good motherboard that supports both older and new cpu's, then buy a high end but older series cpu (usually cheap)... then wait a a year and upgrade the cpu. This let's you keep up and you might not have the best of the here and now but enough to keep on playing most games with max settings. (same thing with videocards, though with videocards you're usually best off the buy a lower end version of every, or every other series)

I prefer a bit more RAM (8gb) just because of the fact that I run a lot of applications at the same time while gaming and sometimes multibox games.

About the wifi thing, erm desktops on a wifi connection is just.... well just.... like...... watching analog TV with a 50" HD screen. Especially if you game online it should just not be done.

Also face the fact to you'll have to invest time in assembling your rig. Hardly anybody constantly keeps up to date about all the current developments in hardware. When you need an upgrade, check what's on the market, read up to new features for the part you want to upgrade and then make your decision. And make it fast, because in 2 weeks there might be new features to read up on and consider.

I hope this wasn't too much of a wall of text.
    Naw, it wasn't much at all, read it in a few seconds haha.
    Ack, I really need to educate myself more. So much to remember ! :<
    edited October 2013
    NOTE: If you install your OS on an SSD, *disable* swap filing and get at least 8 GB (4 GB for your games, 4 GB replacement for swap) RAM.
    Otherwise you'll wear out your SSD much faster than it's normally intended.
    Don't think it's helping to have all these different opinions and ways of what to do and not to do and what's preferred and what's essential haha!

Brain Fizzle. :3

I did not realise I was this much of an outsider when it came to PCs. :c
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited October 2013
    I was vague on the specifics of hardware since I haven't been keeping track on technology for the past year. MaximumPC magazine is your friend also. It tests the current hardware and software of do it yourself computer systems.

The last three computers I've built myself.
    Icecreamtub
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    edited October 2013
    @Icecreamtub yes there's a lot of opinions on things, what's bad and what's good or slightly better

Aendaeron has a pretty good point. I've always replaced my HD's(normal HD's as well) every 2/3 years, they always degrade fastest of all components. Newer SSD's last a lot longer than the earlier versions though and should generally be fine with anything.

edit: I might add that if you disable your page file... you computer will crash if you ever do run out of memory.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    I'm sorry to vanquish-katana this , but I made a config lately ,

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22bWm
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22bWm/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/22bWm/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.20 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme9 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($523.73 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
    Storage: Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Microcenter)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($384.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
    Case Fan: Delta Electronics FFB1212EH-F00 150.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Delta Electronics FFB1212EH-F00 150.3 CFM 120mm Fan ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($121.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1926.81
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-14 09:51 EST-0500)

I did not choose a hard-disk and a monitor , because I was planning to mount my SSD , Corsair F120 120GB onto it , and a projector....
    @old_jolly2 Are you just letting us know, or asking for advice?

Not sure if this is appropriate for the Forums or for Off-Topic... Feel free to delete it if I am and apologises if I'm breaking any rules for doing this. ._.

Anywho, anyone out there who is a Computer Tech? As in, knows what to get to build a Gamer's PC? ._.
    As I require a PC to play games but have no knowledge on where or what parts to acquire.

Building it I can manage, doing everything else is where I'm seriously struggling! ;-;

Thanks in advance to any kind souls out there~

~Tubby~

letting him/er...

I certainly would not recommend that configuration.
    I actually thought it would be the best for the money , and because of the looks the case would have , I'm a part nostalgist in this case .. But please state the thing you disagree about and the replacements you offer per ta...

@ maingear.com , prices go shamefully higher , when compared to a set-up like this in equals...
    Of course you didn't specify your usage, but the OP asked for a gaming system. For that you don't want the AMD FX or $500 RAM. Heck, I don't see where those RAM would ever be good value. I'd start the improvements there.

I'm positive you can build a system that'll score way higher in gaming benchmarks *for cheaper*.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Those sites that put it together for you charge you at least 2x the actual cost. I would use one of the pc creator tools that a site like Ibuypower has so you can see what size power supply you will need for what your planning then buy a bare bones kit with the items you would like then fill in the blank. As far lack of knowledge there are countless how to videos on the internets most are simple just take your time. As for operating system if your a young man in collage most have very reduced prices in there stores if not you can easily pirate win 7.

All in all it should cost you around 600-800$ depending on what graphics card your thinking this gen cards run from 100-1000 I would go with gtx 660 it will allow you to play anything for the the next few years for only 200$. I would avoid using sli as most games take months for compatibility if they ever get it so if you want to burn more cash on a card just get a better one. Hope this helps have fun.

Edit: for a monitor pick up a HD flat screen tv that has both hdmi and mini hdmi.
  • AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29

I actually thought it would be the best for the money , and because of the looks the case would have , I'm a part nostalgist in this case .. But please state the thing you disagree about and the replacements you offer per ta...

@ maingear.com , prices go shamefully higher , when compared to a set-up like this in equals...

Unless you work on space-sized raw photos or massive video files, you won't be needing 32 GB of RAM. Ever. Not even half of that. A 3TB hard drive is worthless as the OS drive. Also that CPU is hilarious.

Edit: for a monitor pick up a flat screen tv

Ahahahahah
    No, don't do that. TVs are awful to use as monitors, since the highest PPI you'll get on one is 1920x1080 on a 32" screen. That's just pitiable. And only the beginning of the problems. A TV's response time is way higher than a monitor's. The colors will always be worse. You'll never get a higher refresh rate. DO NOT do that, jesus.
    Icecreamtub
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Well mate I have 4 computers 3 with monitors and I would much rather spend my time on my 42in flat screen for gaming. I could have bought a monitor half the size for the same price but I would rather play where ever I wan't as apposed to hunching over a small screen. lol your reaction is pitiable mate.

low end 42in computer monitor 800$ 42in HD TV 300$
    edited November 2013
    @ 1997 , my mother bought me 16 MB of RAM , because I asked it from her , to play FIFA 97. So , RAM made a good impression for me starting there , to lift off Event datas and all what is pushed to background. With that much RAM , I think that system would last veery long.

And with AMD processor , I don't still see the lag behind , even playing Company of H 2 , but , yes , you may be right there about the lower cost option. For a lower cost , CoH 2 computer can also be made , may be...

And as the OP states that h/she cannot decide ,

Don't think it's helping to have all these different opinions and ways of what to do and not to do and what's preferred and what's essential haha!

Brain Fizzle. :3

I did not realise I was this much of an outsider when it came to PCs. :c

here ,

@Icecreamtub : The prime requisite is only money.... So , if you have the money , just don't ask anyone , go and get it yourself. Otherwise , you are asking for cheap afternoon talk , instead of a breathing BIOS.
    Oh my gosh. Guuiiiisssse, staaaaaaahp ;_;

I'm after advise, not "I'm the better PC Geek" wars. xD

Well mate I have 4 computers 3 with monitors and I would much rather spend my time on my 42in flat screen for gaming. I could have bought a monitor half the size for the same price but I would rather play where ever I wan't as apposed to hunching over a small screen. lol your reaction is pitiable mate.

low end 42in computer monitor 800$ 42in HD TV 300$

You do realize that most users use their computers on a desk? Like maybe a meter, at most, from their faces? Unless you enjoy seeing pixels the size of your fingernails and constantly swerving your head to read any text, I can't imagine how that would be comfortable for any normal human being.
This discussion has been closed.