and so on

Comments

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    For your fun http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_dragons
    Not al of them have difficult names.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    And none of them are named Smaug.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    Names that are usual in one's race always sound strange to those not of that race.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    "I AM GARDANTHOLANANDORNIKUS, VANQUISHER OF EADRIC THE PURE."

In the 3rd Edition Draconomicon (well, v3.5...sureyeawhateva), younger dragons had less, uhh, "what were you smoking" names. Imagine what their Truenames would sound like...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Asgorath (a.k.a. Io), Astilabor, Bahamut, Garyx, Hlal, Kalzareinad, Kereska, Lendys, Null, Sardior, Tamara, Task, Tiamat, Zorquan, Zotha.

... Is it just me, or are all Draconic pantheon names in contrast to most dragons rather short...?
  • XerxesVXerxesV Member Posts: 187
    Chrysophylax Dives. Best name ever, but probably not the best dragon.

Btw, how cool would it be to see dracoliches in BG3?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Even better: awakened, ancient draco-demi-liches. :P
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Only if they're also vampiric demons.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    The older the dragon the longer and more complex the name, as that is indirectly a measurement of a dragon's deeds and tells the dragon's story. That's why some hatchlings don't even have a name until their first winter passed.

Perhaps, however, the dragon deities noticed the problems in worshiping (they tend to be only be worshiped by few in comparison to those deities of the humanoid races) and chose shorter, pronounciable names. Who knows.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I suspect that complicated though they may sometimes be, the names we see are already shortened, simplified versions of true draconic names. Since they are not even close to a humanoid race (at least not most of the time), it's no surprise that their language is so different and alien we can neither physically pronounce it, nor properly transcribe it. The best we can hope for are sort of "nicknames" that are an approximation of sorts.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited October 2013
    I read them as they are spelled... Not sure how horribly inaccurate the pronounciation is, but I don't think they'll care for too long... They seem to have bigger worries with the 6 somewhat powerful adventurers and such attacking them.
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629

Asgorath (a.k.a. Io), Astilabor, Bahamut, Garyx, Hlal, Kalzareinad, Kereska, Lendys, Null, Sardior, Tamara, Task, Tiamat, Zorquan, Zotha.

... Is it just me, or are all Draconic pantheon names in contrast to most dragons rather short...?

I get the feeling dragon names might be the equivalent of a a human buying a sports car, or a giant house. They're already gods, what do they have to prove?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Mxyzptlk would be a good name. ;)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Dragons, being incredibly vain, like to give themselves very impressive-sounding names which are long and difficult to pronounce. This also gives them an easy way to scoff at our pathetic mispronounciation.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    As a mummy I regularly ride to work on my Draco-lich Fphpftheruriaeeydudud.

Try and pronounce it and you will realise why I call him Fred.

I'm very proud of him as he goes like a bat out of hell (especially when the morning comes...)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Dragons, being incredibly vain, like to give themselves very impressive-sounding names which are long and difficult to pronounce. This also gives them an easy way to scoff at our pathetic mispronounciation.

A bit like the french then...
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Or a condiment.

/saladrexx