Skip to content

Improve the Wizard Slayer!

13»

Comments

• JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    @Dee what about the nerf that the latest patch gave wizard slayers? Will that be reversed?
  • MadmartiganMadmartigan Member Posts: 18
    In the manual (http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual2.pdf) for BG2:EE wizard slayers are still nerfed (1% MR/level) compared to the upgrade they got from original TOB (2% MR/level + At 20th level, gets 5% magic res. every 2 levels). Is this correct ?
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I think a wizard slayer is extremely strong against caster but they are so boring to play because they can't wear any magical items (fair enough) and don't have any special abilities that you can use during a fight. If somehow that might be changed without turning this class into a god like warrior it would be cool.
  • jmkarlssonjmkarlsson Member Posts: 30
    There are two abilities I would like a wizard slayer to have
    1. to activate an ability like the thiefs detect illusion as I don't see a wizard slayer being fooled by a mirror image or some invisibility spell
    2. to be able to cast the protection from magic effect on him/herself once a day per x levels at the cost of only recieving half the effect of curative spells for a time afterward
    kamuizin
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2013
    After re-discovering the wizard slayer rebalancing mod (http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/960-wizard-slayer-rebalancing-v109-windows-version/), I figured I'd give this thread a bump and include the link. The wizard slayer kit presented in this mod has several major improvements over the vanilla kit:

1. It has more magic resistance (base 10%, +2% per level).
    2. It has more anti-magic abilities, including a few new high level abilities (HLAs).
    3. Relaxed magic item restrictions (optional). You can elect to use equipment and potions that enhance magic resistance, for example.

Many of these features are close to those put forward by fans in this thread.

I believe this mod is compatible with BGII:EE (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1). [EDIT: Yes, it is!]
    Post edited by Silence on
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    @Silence yes, it's fully compatible with both BG:EE and BGII:EE.
    SilenceCrevsDaak
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Wizard Slayers should be allowed to use magic arms and armor but not other magic items (including BG1 tomes). The HLA thief ability Use Any Item should let you get past this limitation. Their SR should be 2 times their level, not one per. Finally, their mischance to magic should be applied on missile attacks as well as melee attacks. Multiple attacks create a cumulative penalty

There, Wizard Slayer is useful.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    So atm we have an mod (appear to be good) changing WS but no vanilla change and with 111 votes where 96% of them claim for changes in this character, i think that would be a nice vanilla update to do, if the team is still alive with BG/BG2 EE updates, of course.
    DeeEdvinCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I regret voting like this. When I voted I didn't knew how bad it gets to play with a WS in BG2.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    CrevsDaak said:

I regret voting like this. When I voted I didn't knew how bad it gets to play with a WS in BG2.

Meh I now kind of view this thing as being something that should be left up to modders. So you can have my yes vote and I'll take your no vote :)
    BlackravenCrevsDaak
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    CrevsDaak said:

Are you playing one in BG2?
    elminster said:

CrevsDaak said:

Meh I now kind of view this thing as being something that should be left up to modders. So you can have my yes vote and I'll take your no vote :)
    I agree. It's true that viewed invidually the unmodded WS is one of the most vulnerable classes/kits of all, so one could make a case for improving the kit. But in a party, an unmodded WS surrounded by the right companions who can buff/protect him (for example a Cleric for Remove Fear, Free Action, Chaotic Commands) can be very useful in fights with casters. In physical fights the WS is good enough anyway. Besides there is a legal way of improving the unmodded WS already: dualling into a Thief (or a Cleric or even a Mage).

I've restarted an SCS no-reload solo run with a modded WS, using aVENGER's Wizard Slayer rebalancing mod, and so far I've reached the XP cap in BG1 one without much trouble (though many chalenges still lie ahead). Some people may consider it cheating, to be playing with a mod that reinforces a character class or kit. I don't know, but I do know that I'm having fun with my charname without feeling overpowered in any way.
    CrevsDaak
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    elminster said:

CrevsDaak said:

I kinda regret my vote to. It was just for a joke at the beginning. I think they could at least bump the magic resistance, or improve the "magic resistance" HLA for the WS, but I am very fond of mages and have no intention of playing one, or even a fighter probably. So I am indifferent.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Blackraven no, but I am planning to use one with my (almost) all clerics run, a WS/Cleric, a Thief/Cleric, a Cleric/Illusionist and a Holy Strategist of the Red Knight. Then I'll pick Viconia and Aerie (besides hating her, but I will need more mage spells).

Also I was thinking of a literally all clerics run, that'd be composed of:
    1) Holy Strategist of the Red Knight - Group leader.
    2) Heartwarden of Sune
    3) Barbarian/Battleguard of Tempus - Bhaalspawn
    4) Assassin/Nigthcloak of Shar
    5) Conjurer/Feywarden of Corellion
    6) Firewalker of Kossuth
    They are together for no particular reason, I'll have to search for an RP point of view.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited April 2014
    I don't understand the people that voted "No" and say that the Wizard Slayer shouldn't be improved.

Just because you can enjoy or find uses for a class, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be improved to make it worth it.

Someone can create a Commoner class with d4 for HP and absolutely no class features at all and people can still enjoy it even for the challenge. It doesn't mean that it's a good class to have.

The Monk and Inquisitor do the "Wizard Slayer"s job far better. Hell, my Cavalier was almost immune to magic with MR at around 100 with items and Carsormyr + Hell's Trials.
    CrevsDaak
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @Silence - that mod looks pretty good and I may do a WS run using that.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    CrevsDaak said:

@Blackraven no, but I am planning to use one with my (almost) all clerics run, a WS/Cleric, a Thief/Cleric, a Cleric/Illusionist and a Holy Strategist of the Red Knight. Then I'll pick Viconia and Aerie (besides hating her, but I will need more mage spells).

Also I was thinking of a literally all clerics run, that'd be composed of:
    1) Holy Strategist of the Red Knight - Group leader.
    2) Heartwarden of Sune
    3) Barbarian/Battleguard of Tempus - Bhaalspawn
    4) Assassin/Nigthcloak of Shar
    5) Conjurer/Feywarden of Corellion
    6) Firewalker of Kossuth
    They are together for no particular reason, I'll have to search for an RP point of view.

I like that group! It's a bit difficult maybe to justify roleplaywise (different beliefs), but very interesting. I also like the kits you mention. I once rolled a half-orc Holy Strategist/Thief for insane backstabs and good fighting (they get an extra APR at level 13). Could you not edit some of the NPCs into those characters? For example, Vicky as the Assassin/Nightcloak (awesome), Branwen could be the Barbarian/Battleguard, Xan a Conjurer/Feywarden (he's an elf after all), Isra if you care for her mod could be a Fighter-> Heartwarder (she's a paladin of Sune).

My all-thieves/merry scoundrels run is going to be like that. Charname, Coran, Alora (Burglar), Safana (Gypsy bard or Swashbuckler), Vicky (Cleric/Nightcloak), and Imoen (Adventurer) in BG1. In BG2 I'd use Charname, Coran (mod), Alora (mod) Jan Jansen, Imoen/Yoshi/Imoen, and perhaps Haer'Dalis.
    CrevsDaak