Skip to content

What's your favorite Ranger kit?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. What's your favorite Ranger kit?141 votes
    1. Vanilla
      11.35%
    2. Archer
      32.62%
    3. Stalker
      38.30%
    4. Beast Master
        5.67%
    5. Cleric/Ranger
      12.06%

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Vanilla all the way!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Technically I like Stalker the most, but a dual classed Thief -> Fighter is better in almost every way, so I chose Archer. It would be even better if it was Sterling Archer.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Awong124 said:

Technically I like Stalker the most, but a dual classed Thief -> Fighter is better in almost every way, so I chose Archer. It would be even better if it was Sterling Archer.

"Jaheira...Jaheira...JAAHEIRA!"

"What?!"
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Awong124 said:

I saw what you did there, and I approve of your message :)

• SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I AM KILL-SIN, SLAYER OF THE UNHOLY or Holy, or Unbalanced, depending on my alignment.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    I like all ranger kits but vanilla.
    Vanilla is basically a wanna-be fighter with plate armor but less points in weapons. It doesn't feel ranger at all.
    I pick stalker or archer when i play ranger.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I consider Stalker to be the vanilla ranger...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I like Stalker just slightly more than Archer and the standard Ranger...
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2013
    I like the beastmaster just for being closer to the source material, in both ability and power-level. The ranger and archer are close, but they have a few things that bug me.

And the stalker I just plain dislike as implemented...

and R/C isn't a kit. It's other issues not requiring mention. (unless we're talking IWD R/C, which is actually quite nice)
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Archer is a beast. Love the amount of damage that can be done with this kit.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Do the PnP kits from the Complete Ranger's Handbook count as well? Because I'm gonna say that the Greenwood Ranger kit is my favourite one by far. The sentient plant transformational aspects of this kit is nothing but pure awesomeness!

But if you're strictly speaking about the less interesting BG:EE kits, then I'll go with the Beastmaster for roleplaying reasons.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Maybe if the Beastmaster could summon animals, rather than charm them, and they were buffed and had magical teeth and claws...
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Ranger, plain and simple.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Archer for BG1, Stalker for BG2.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    It's not nearly as fun stealthing when you can't backstab!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Vanilla as actual ranger. I treat ranger/cleric as a cleric if I want a dual wielding cleric.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Stalker. I'm a melee kinda guy. I also love backstabs. I also like not being tempted to wear plate mail.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I voted for Beastmaster because they need love too, even though they aren't the best kit around at least they aren't wizardslayers.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    I went with Stalker. They're probably the most interesting without being cheesy.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Beastmaster. It sounded like the more appealing class to me. Though I would have preferred something like a wolf or a tiger as opposed to a pseudo-dragon and the ability to wield swords, but I'm doing fine so far with the kit.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    PugPug said:

Maybe if the Beastmaster could summon animals, rather than charm them, and they were buffed and had magical teeth and claws...

All rangers can attempt to charm animals. The Beastmaster @ Lvl 8 can start to summon them.

~
    My vote:

Stalker dualled to a cleric at lvl 12 dual wielding clubs and flails
    or
    Archer dualled to a cleric at lvl 12 (or 16) focusing on slings with a racial enemy of giants. Named David.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @deltago Level 12 is a strange level to dual your Stalker. At that amount of experience, your mages have access to 6th circle spells and Improved Haste and being able to cast Haste from your ranger is hardly worth the bother. If I made it that far, I'd dual at 13 or better yet, dual earlier and get your cleric on.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Missile spam never tasted so good =)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Its called STALKER. It don't get better than that, folks.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Archer. No contest, really, the other rangers are just wannabes. Archers actually have something special about them!
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    deltago said:

PugPug said:

All rangers can attempt to charm animals. The Beastmaster @ Lvl 8 can start to summon them.
    See, it's been so long since I've even thought about the kit that I forgot that.

I don't suppose the wee lil' bear summons with an amulet of +15 asskickery, a mouth full of ettercap teeth and dragon talons for claws?
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    Delvarian said:

I voted for Beastmaster because they need love too, even though they aren't the best kit around at least they aren't wizardslayers.

My current Wizard Slayer would look at you in a funny way. Dualed to Thief to get Detect Illusiomn and in bg2ee Use Any Item. Look whos perfect now!

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited October 2013
    Archers are, to me, the archetypal variety of ranger, a master of the bow. It doesn't hurt that, at least in BG1, archers prettymuch kill everything. Unless you're fighting an ooze, a party of ranged attackers just kills everything before it even gets to you except for a few specific boss encounters. Toss out web, grease and entangle and the enemies are just pincushions.

Between the flavor connection I feel for archers, and the blatant effectiveness, it was a pretty easy vote for me.

Quick quiz though: which class or kit has the most HP possible at level 1?

Answer: Beastmaster. d10 hit die + 4 from Constitution + 6 HP from a familiar = 20 HP at level 1. This is 3 points better than a dwarven defender or barbarian can do.