Skip to content

Average BG gamer age

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    BTW: of course I'm nostalgic, being such an 'old' person. But it's no BG nostalgia, I've only known the game for 4 or 5 years now. But I was a 2nd Edition AD&D pen and paper-player in the eighties.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    No way dude, it just means that the 40+ crowd don't post on the MSG boards, they prolly all playing free cell! ;)
  • ZandriZandri Member Posts: 33
    2 weeks of 35, so looking forward to these EE's I played the heck out of the original BG's
  • nioniosbbbbnioniosbbbb Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2012
    I made a mistake i placed myself under 20 i am 21 meh. Did i correct this?
  • BarbosaBarbosa Member Posts: 10
    Hrrrr...humm....ahh....50?
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    23. Back in 2001, my dad finally got himself a computer to play the game which he had bought on its release without owning anything to play it on. He was so proud of it, showing me its 5 discs and interesting artwork and awesome game manual. The first night he got it I watched him play and asked to borrow it. He never got it back and as far as I know, has never played it since. Oh well...
  • VegardPompeyVegardPompey Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2012
    19 now, maybe 10 when I first played Baldur's Gate. That game helped me learn English.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when I first played the game. I picked up the first party members I found (Xzar & Montaron and then Khalid & Jaheira) and then I didn't understand what I had done wrong when they begun killing each other :(
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    21 years for me... completed the game around 60ish times? In 14 years, that's... 4 playthroughs per year? Good thing I finished 3 already this year! (Let's Play, cleric/thief run and the 24 hours marathon run here on the BGEE forums XD )

Working my way for the 4th time with a friend and a fifth with a character I've been planning on creating for a week now. But that's gonna happen soon!! :)
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    I'm surprised people under 20(even in their 20s) are playing this game instead of something shiny; feels like take a special one to play an "old school" RPG.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    I'm 29. Geez...I was 14-15 years old when I played BG for the first time. Time flies...
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    Gotta admit, I love seeing all of the youngins showing some BG love. Maybe it's a good sign, that a truly well made game can not only stand the test of time but endure and appeal to such a diverse range of ages. (And backgrounds too) Now if only we didn't have to wait till September =(
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    The biggest fanbase is still 25-29. They were 11-15 at the time. Definitely the best age to get hooked :) (me I was 9 and I didn't understand a lot at first lol)
  • oldsch00loldsch00l Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 192
    36... Glad I'm not the oldest ;-)

@Son_of_Imoen : problem is when BG was first released, video games were for kids (or viewed as) and you didn't find many 30+ playing video games. Plus the fact you don't find many 50 or a little less people playing video games now. When we'll be 50 it will be different (generation changes).
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    Couple months shy of 23. Was only 9 or so when I started playing the first one.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Im 19 but 20 this year, first game I got , it came without a box just in a palstic sleeve with my families first computer, it was a windows 98 computer, it has like a shiny surface with a dragon flying out or towards or from baldurs gate. good times.
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    25 in a week
  • AbsyntheAbsynthe Member Posts: 3
    Hmmmm... at 46 I'm feeling ancient. Been playing games since the late 70's - started with D&D and picked up computer games and consoles since. Nice to see the large number of younger gamers getting into BG.
  • SFJakeSFJake Member Posts: 8
    Of the 20-29 demographic, I wonder how many of us grew up playing this game and the fact that it is a wonderful memory of our childhood is part of what brings us here =]?
    I grew having NO clue how to play this game with any skill, cheating to oblivion, and wondering what the hell it was really all about, just thinking it was "cool".

It took me getting 18+ before I sat down, played the entire series from begining to the end, and realized how incredibly good this game is when you have the maturity to savor everything it can offer.

I don't actually expect people under far under 18 to appreciate Baldur's Gate truly. I actually wish more games were that way.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I'm 22, played BG for the first time when I was...14, 15-ish? I don't really remember. XD I do remember that I was heavily intruiged by the game. As a hardcore perfectionist, it took me about one year and a half to complete the whole series. Mind you, this was with classes and homework in between, of course. Currently I'm playing the game again, both a single player game and a multiplayer match with a dear friend of mine. *winks at Cheesebelly*
  • roachfexroachfex Member Posts: 6
    34 - my University mates introduced me to BG.
    I'm 22, played BG for the first time when I was...14, 15-ish? I don't really remember. XD I do remember that I was heavily intruiged by the game. As a hardcore perfectionist, it took me about one year and a half to complete the whole series. Mind you, this was with classes and homework in between, of course. Currently I'm playing the game again, both a single player game and a multiplayer match with a dear friend of mine. *winks at Cheesebelly*
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud : *winks back... elbow tricks... juggles gorillas* Stuff happening. XD
    @Cheesebelly: You're still as mad as ever. :p *hugs* Thanks. :)
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud : "Mad enough to break free, ha-ha!" :p
  • Kesselring1987Kesselring1987 Member Posts: 9
    25 this year :D
    @Cheesebelly: Where does that quote come from? :o
  • aarionnaarionn Member Posts: 94
    39 here... I just hope that EE verson will not break some feaures from the original making it "more accessible"..... If they do it anyhow... well we will still have our old BG :-)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    We have normal distribution.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    This seems pretty normal. A lot of the gamers were likely teenagers at the time of BG's release, with more time to kill than the average working adult, and so by 2012, we can see a lot of young adults form the dedicated fanbase. Then there are us younger brothers & sisters of those fans (among others, of course) that were indoctrinated with the greatness of BG :P
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    16,discovered game only last year
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    about 4 or 5 hamster lifetimes...give or take.