Skip to content

Average BG gamer age

Comments

• georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    Khamill said:

@Tetraploid Ooh Yes! It is a gift, a legacy, a guidience that present RPG's creators should trust, cherish and always follow:)

One does not simply walk into Mordor...

PS not aware of how many knows this but go to maps.google.com (it has to be the .com one, local googles don't work - well atleast the .co.za one doesn't) then go to directions and select directions by walking. In the from box type 'The Shire' and in the to box type 'Mordor'

Must say the google devs have a sense of humour :)
  • HeroHero Member Posts: 3
    I'm 23 years old.
    I never played BG I anyway, just BG II plus ToB.

This will be a completely new game for me :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I can't remember if I've already answered this question. (LOL - showing my age.)

I'm 47. I started playing D&D in 1982 when I was a senior in high school. It was Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd edition, but I bought and owned a boxed basic D&D set (1st edition). I should have saved it - it's probably a collector's item now.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    etagloc said:

haha... it because it makes no sense,,, just like the thread...im sorry to say its not even an old danish saying.
    "Skagen" is a town.. so if i had to translate it. it would be something like. "the road to Skagen, is longer than on a bike"

I'm not Danish, but I think I can do better. It should rather read something like 'It's farther (or longer) to Skagen, than on a bike'

But yes, dad used to say that, always cracked me up!
  • AblienAblien Member Posts: 4
    47 yrs of age, and I believe the BG games are the only cprg's that come close to matching the perfection that was the gold box era, namely the SSI games. Looking forward to seeing this new BG!!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Well, how old should have now depends by player age when first played.

I'm 18 years old. When time played BG1 was 5 years old.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited September 2012
    @Quartz A prodigy!
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Quartz said:

Well, how old should have now depends by player age when first played.

I'm 18 years old. When time played BG1 was 5 years old.

I loled
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    age 15 friend gave old, now time age 27 it was good,
  • RhaoRhao Member Posts: 7
    Hmmm, I'm 34, it was released uh, "e" years ago (decimal numbering is left as an exercise for the reader). Age is no barrier to immaturity! And it's a nice game too.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm 23, and I started playing BG maybe 13 years ago. It's hard to say really. I can't recall a time when I did not have it installed.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I'm 29. I first played bg when I was 14, and I've never looked back. I was terrible the first time, then I read the manual and learned the ruleset. Then crushed bg. Bought bg2 when it came out, absolutely loved it, crushed that too. Then tob, crush. Discovered weidu.org and gibberlings3.net, crushed tactics ascension etc. Fantastic game, so much repeatability. I've been hanging out for this remake like a horny dog since it was announced. Lets just say I've got high expectations :-)
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84

23. Back in 2001, my dad finally got himself a computer to play the game which he had bought on its release without owning anything to play it on. He was so proud of it, showing me its 5 discs and interesting artwork and awesome game manual. The first night he got it I watched him play and asked to borrow it. He never got it back and as far as I know, has never played it since. Oh well...

@FrozenCells This is gold, reminds me of a friend of my dad's who had a special edition of Myst, but didn't own a computer and had no idea how to use one. He'd just pull it out all the time and show people all the discs and artwork and say how it was supposed to be one of the greatest games ever made. And he'd try to get people who had computers to borrow it and play it...
  • MrKrisSatanMrKrisSatan Member Posts: 75
    I'm 26 and grew up playing AD&D with my parents, they home brewed a lot of rules. Yes my parents were awesome!
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    edited September 2012
    I'm 17 and started at 14 :D

( I LOVE old games ;))
  • KyzarinKyzarin Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2012
    23, but I didn't pick up the game until a few years after release (I was 17, give or take a couple years) after it was recommended by a friend. BG1 was my first introduction to RPG games, but most of my memories are from BG2, as I've played that game more.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    just found this thread now. Nice thread with a lot of votes (near 700 votes already) and a nice source of customer information for free to beamdog :)!
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Have you taken into consideration that something like 14 years have passed?

I mean, are you interested in what age we were when we first played the game, or what age we are now, that we're talking about a long awaited rehaul?
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    It's quite evident that those of us in early teens when playing for the first time were impacted heavily by the game. I'm also seeing a trend of us replaying every year, not just for nostalgia, but because it's BLOODY FUN STUFF! All hail the 25-29 market segment :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Have you taken into consideration that something like 14 years have passed?

I mean, are you interested in what age we were when we first played the game, or what age we are now, that we're talking about a long awaited rehaul?

He mean the second part, Average age of the forum members would be more precise
  • DoveberryDoveberry Member Posts: 24
    I was eleven when I first tried to play Baldur's Gate. Wasn't good enough at English at the time to get very far, since I didn't quite understand what was happening. A couple of years later, though, I found the game and gave it another try. I loved every moment of it. Nostalgia and Baldur's Gate are one and the same to me.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I was the very influenceable age of 11 when Baldur's Gate was released and I got my hands on a pirated copy (for which I have atoned since by buying the game at least four times over). I've been hooked since the first minute. Playing- no, living this game has spawned in me the interest for role playing, computer gaming, and fantasy, and it was the primary vehicle for me learning to speak English. I know it sounds sad (and it really isn't), but when I think of my childhood I conjure up images of my party investigating murders on the streets of Baldur's Gate, in the middle of the night, with sinister music playing in the background. Or snooping around the haunted Ulcaster School. Or raiding the gnoll stronghold. I used to get up at 6:00 AM to play this game as a kid, and that's quite impressive considering I do not remember getting up at 6:00 AM for anything else as a kid.

I still replay both games once or twice yearly, but as of now I haven't played either in over a year in anticipation for the Enhanced Edition. Needless to say I've developed symptoms of withdrawal, but the wait will be over soon.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    I started to learn english at 10 to 11 age, playing chrono thrigger, super mario RPG, final fantasy III (VI in psx) and other rpg games for SNES. All the time that i was playing an RPG on SNES an english/portuguese dictionary was open at my side, at each banter in those games i stopped to look the words i didn't know, after a while when I increased my repertoire of words i needed to stop less to look on the dictionary, but Baldur's Gate and online communication in MMORPGs were my main english teachers.

Never made specific english class in my life besides the ones in school ( that taught me verb conjugations and the base of the syntax).
  • MateopsMateops Member Posts: 4
    Feels like so long ago... in another life. I am just happy to see it happen! I never was satisfied with anything after BG2. Then I lowered my expectations and enjoyed other RPG games... As long as Obsidian stays away from this! Back! Back Obsidian! *shows holy symbol*
  • BG2BG2 Member Posts: 19
    I'm in the "ancient", errr, "most experienced" gamer category of 40+.

Started gaming in the 70's. First on a TRS-80, then Sinclair Z-81, and later got a VIC-20 followed by a Commodore 64. My first IBM PC was my dad's. I think he paid around $3000 for it.

• kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    25 today :) I'm in the majority wohooo :P
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Mateops said:

Feels like so long ago... in another life. I am just happy to see it happen! I never was satisfied with anything after BG2. Then I lowered my expectations and enjoyed other RPG games... As long as Obsidian stays away from this! Back! Back Obsidian! *shows holy symbol*

Give me Icewind Dale and even the second one over most of the crap released in the last ten years.
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    Nostalgia brought me here, I played BG 1 from when I was a child. Prior I was a tried and true Ultima Dragon but Baldur's Gate blew me away and sold me for life. If im being truthful though, I am so much more in love with Planescape Torment then BG however.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    37 ~ started playing D&D and AD&D in the mid 80's. Discovered BG well after it was released, and had a lot of fun with the whole series over the years. I love that this new version will retain the AD&D rules, even if it is 2nd edition. : ) The core of it is still recognizable as the work of Gygax & Arneson, which I think is a good thing. AD&D certainly was obtuse in places, but I think Gary was a brilliant game designer.
  • RufusRufus Member Posts: 11
    Cool! I'm 26 & right in the average. Nice to see so many fellow comrades & BG nerds :D