Skip to content

Game Update: v1.2.0

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's working to an extent, but we're still polishing the experience. You can go in and make games and join them and it should be at least as stable as it was before, without the need to forward ports or give out your IP address. My own experience has been much stronger than before, but your mileage may vary depending on your router, network speed, etc.

And of course there are some quirks we're still working out, which is why we're calling it a "beta". All the features are in there and working, though.
  • ayunoayuno Member Posts: 42
    Varwulf said:

It's up to Atari and Valve, not Beamdog.

Actually, it's just Atari cause Valve takes what he gets Valve dosen't care about any "intern" situations. So it's just up to Atari. But that's the main problem in this case... Atari is so damn slow even a injured turtle is faster.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    ayuno said:

Varwulf said:

Actually, it's just Atari cause Valve takes what he gets Valve dosen't care about any "intern" situations. So it's just up to Atari. But that's the main problem in this case... Atari is so damn slow even a injured turtle is faster.
    Yep. Atari uploads patch to their Steam admin page, clicks a button that says "make it live" and then everyone can get it on Steam. It's that simple. I'm not even sure they're using the Steam API at all, so they may not even have to make code changes to the exe for that.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    ayuno said:

Varwulf said:

I get what you mean, but considering I doubt Valve gave Atari access to their source code, admin passwords, and data files for Steam, it still has to go through Steam, even if in a very small way.
  • GodmarGodmar Member Posts: 159
    I have two questions:
    1)What does "Wizard Slayer's spell failure per hit corrected" mean? Maybe does it work with ranged weapons?
    2)What does "Fixed Elf +1 THAC0 bonus to short/long swords" mean? Does the bonus still applies to all sword?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Godmar said:

I have two questions:
    1)What does "Wizard Slayer's spell failure per hit corrected" mean? Maybe does it work with ranged weapons?

The spell failure % was adjusted to match the description.
    Godmar said:

2)What does "Fixed Elf +1 THAC0 bonus to short/long swords" mean? Does the bonus still applies to all sword?

No, elves should only get a THAC0 bonus for short and long swords. The bug was that it was being applied to all swords.
  • GodmarGodmar Member Posts: 159
    Ok. Thanks a lot :)
  • metalmunkimetalmunki Member Posts: 67
    Varwulf said:

ayuno said:

Varwulf said:

I get what you mean, but considering I doubt Valve gave Atari access to their source code, admin passwords, and data files for Steam, it still has to go through Steam, even if in a very small way.
    There is no 'access to admin files and source code' at Valve's end. Atari can send a patch live whenever they wish, a thousand times a day if they want to. Once a game is on Steam, be they developer or publisher of their game, they have access to it 24/7. With 3000+ games on Steam, it's not conceivable to have to wait for an OK from Valve before anything happens.

• BhaalSpawndBhaalSpawnd Member Posts: 12
    I suppose the only thing that is truly worrying to me about waiting on Atari is that all of their social networking (twitter, youtube, and facebook) haven't been updated since mid-May and their community forums have been down for an indeterminable amount of time (potentially over a year?!?). There has been zero response to any pestering done by the community and as far as I can tell there isn't really a way to get in contact with anybody there.

Is Atari actually alive these days? There are very few signs of life...
  • ayunoayuno Member Posts: 42

They're just like the Atari console itself. That should be an answer to your question.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    elminster said:

What the hell?

Why is Mulahey burping in my face?

He's apparently now taking the role of an enemy who also serves as comic relief. :)
    @elminster @Alkalurops

I thought he did that in Vanilla BG, too. Try right-clicking on him for some added "effects." After all, as Volo says, Mulahey is "hygenically suspect."
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I don't... remember it that way.

The things you learn.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    Added Aldeth's Quest from Unfinished Business

Can someone clarify what does this imply?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    @Pekingduckman Only that that specific quest was added to BG:EE, really.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited November 2013
    Any chance for more ingame movies in next patches? One of the best addition so far was resting movies. Or more Unfinished Business features? I heard you couldn't apply everything from this mod, because you didnt get permission from all mod's authors. But since you added Aldeth's Quest maybe it's chance to add more features from people permissions you have.
    Post edited by Etamin on
  • JonMarcJonMarc Member Posts: 17
    Varwulf said:

@Rellin As has been said countless times, Beamdog has no control over when Atari works with Valve to release the patch. It's up to Atari and Valve, not Beamdog.

Terribly sorry if we are clogging up your forums with our hideous gnashing and wailing, but people are frustrated, and there is no way to contact Atari. Encouraging Beamdog to perhaps use their contacts at Atari - and I find it difficult to believe they are not in contact with at least one person there - to nudge them into releasing a patch, is NOT unreasonable. Beamdog's name is still the one on the product, after all, even on Steam. Hell, even STEAM SUPPORT for BG:EE directs me to complete a webform which is - you guessed it - addressed to Beamdog.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    edited November 2013
    ... so atari is taking it easy, releasing the game to steam unasked and not doing any support then (that would cost money, not bring in money), steam can only pass information it is given (that is the information from atari that for all issues to ask beamdog please), and beamdog can't do much more than give the patch to atari and "really insist that it's realeased fast", as they are not allowed to do the steam thing themselves (that would cut income for atari) ... that might be frustrating, but that's life in a society run by private initiative.
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited November 2013
    First of all nice job relasing such a gigantic patch. It must have been a massive undertaking :)

Secondly from a business standpoint it would be best to make sure that in the future you, devs have full access to steam and can update the game yourself. I fail to understand why Atari insists of being in charge of patching when they don't give damn about bg ee.

Since its pretty evident that profits are all what matter to Atari, I would like to imagine that profits could still be shared in similar manner even if Beamdog had full access to steam.

It is a damn shame how idiotically Atari behaves and then worst of all devs take sadly the pr damage. This kind of shit ain't new though. Back in the day Atari was in charge of distribution of english version of gothic 2 and it took them almost a year to get the game on market after german version. When piranha bytes made night of the raven addon. Atari just sat on the game doing NOTHING while hunting down illegal versions of gothic 2 notr online.

Stupid of me getting the steam version. I like many didn't realize how little control beamdog had.
  • illrageillrage Member Posts: 3
    Isnt there a way to transform my steam Version into a Beamdog Version? Or at least get my Money back from steam. It has been a year since release, and i still dont have my German Audio. Patch may be done now, but the publishing of this game is a mess.

Varwulf said:

ayuno said:

Varwulf said:

There is no 'access to admin files and source code' at Valve's end. Atari can send a patch live whenever they wish, a thousand times a day if they want to. Once a game is on Steam, be they developer or publisher of their game, they have access to it 24/7. With 3000+ games on Steam, it's not conceivable to have to wait for an OK from Valve before anything happens.

That is interesting that there is no approval/pre-approval process.

I suppose the only thing that is truly worrying to me about waiting on Atari is that all of their social networking (twitter, youtube, and facebook) haven't been updated since mid-May and their community forums have been down for an indeterminable amount of time (potentially over a year?!?). There has been zero response to any pestering done by the community and as far as I can tell there isn't really a way to get in contact with anybody there.

Government shutdown got them too :)
    edited November 2013
    JonMarc said:

Varwulf said:

@Rellin As has been said countless times, Beamdog has no control over when Atari works with Valve to release the patch. It's up to Atari and Valve, not Beamdog.

Terribly sorry if we are clogging up your forums with our hideous gnashing and wailing, but people are frustrated, and there is no way to contact Atari. Encouraging Beamdog to perhaps use their contacts at Atari - and I find it difficult to believe they are not in contact with at least one person there - to nudge them into releasing a patch, is NOT unreasonable. Beamdog's name is still the one on the product, after all, even on Steam. Hell, even STEAM SUPPORT for BG:EE directs me to complete a webform which is - you guessed it - addressed to Beamdog.
    You asked a question which has been asked many times, I provided an answer which has been given many times. Far be it from me to try to take an ounce of the load off of Beamdog for having to type up the same response all over again. I don't know why you're so upset that I replied to your post. Would you prefer being ignored next time?
  • SBOG4215SBOG4215 Member Posts: 8
    illrage said:

Isnt there a way to transform my steam Version into a Beamdog Version? Or at least get my Money back from steam. It has been a year since release, and i still dont have my German Audio. Patch may be done now, but the publishing of this game is a mess.

The amount of bitching going on over this steam issue amazes me. We're talking about $20. That's a cinema outing or a night out for dinner. If you're so angry and impatient over the waiting, just buy the damn game again from Beamdog and be done with it. Yes it sucks, and woo is you, but the money is going to a good cause (further patches, potentially BG3). Spending $20 to allow yourself to enjoy a great game and to be done with atari's bs seems like a pretty good investment to me.

SBOG4215 said:

illrage said:

The amount of bitching going on over this steam issue amazes me. We're talking about $20. That's a cinema outing or a night out for dinner. If you're so angry and impatient over the waiting, just buy the damn game again from Beamdog and be done with it. Yes it sucks, and woo is you, but the money is going to a good cause (further patches, potentially BG3). Spending $20 to allow yourself to enjoy a great game and to be done with atari's bs seems like a pretty good investment to me.
    Well that was an immature response to a legitimate grievance. Btw, it's not ' just $20'. It's '$20' for every single Steam customer. That's not a small amount of money. I don't think you know how business works. I'm alright, Jack is not a standard business ethic. Thankfully, the devs are more diplomatic/sympathetic than some of their 'fans'.

Try to look at it from more than one perspective. As someone who is a huge fan of the series (IWD included), I wanted to support Beamdog in the hopes that one day IWD series might also be Enhanced and we might even see a BG3 or IWD3. What an amazing thought.

I had over 200 games in my Steam library when Beamdog released Baldur's Gate EE, I chose to buy it from Beamdog because I wanted to support their cause. If I was rich, I'd happily buy each and every one of you Steam users a copy from Beamdog. But alas...

I understand your anguish, as I've been shafted before in very similar ways over video game purchases in the past where publishers flip flopped or ended support all together, resulting in my being forced to buy the game elsewhere or to be unable to play all together (Chromehounds, anyone?).

Not once in any of those situations did the developer or another publisher try to work with me to resolve the issue. They received my money and swept it under the rug. Beamdog is making an honest effort to assist you guys, but you can't exactly expect them to change the past on your behave to hand out tons of free copies of the game to own up to Atari's problems (or your decisions to take the convenient route and buy it off Steam, no offense).

The bottom line is this isn't as cut and dry of an issue as you'd like it to be, and you're getting a whole lot more support and advice than you'd have received on any other game, ever, in the history of gaming, if the situation had been similar. At least in my experience, that is true.
  • SchnitzelSchnitzel Member Posts: 17
    Soooo Android by any chance?
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    @JonMarc

You may not agree my point, but when your iPhone/iPad broken , I believe you will contact with apple or retail stores, even telecom company , but I am sure you don't contact with Foxconn definitely,

I also feel beamdog didn't make good deal with Atari, but the actual status is ” baldur's gate” which is super famous game , if the IP holder doesn't make much money as possible as they can from here , how can they agree beamdog remaster this game,

It's quite sad for this situation but I am just curious if the beamdog can make enough profit for their surviving, if not , no more patch , no more DLCs ,

Couple months ago , I also complain beamdog make worst deal and don't know how to communicate with their customers , but now I think nice deal mean no more baldur's gate , because you should provide nice proposal for IP holder then just can get the right to remaster the game,,
  • revanbhrevanbh Member Posts: 38
    SBOG4215 said:

illrage said:

It's not the amount that matters. Honestly, even when I pay €1 for something I demand that it performs up to standards advertised. In other words, I value the service provided and the money I buy it with. Nobody gives me money. I earn it the same way Beamdog, Atari and every other company does, buy providing something to someone. You'll get the gist of it...once you start earning your own.

• BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    So your contract partner (Atari / Steam) took your money for substandard product/service ... what is Beamdog to blame for?
This discussion has been closed.