Skip to content

How many times have you bought BG?

Well, let me start:
- original CD set [+CD for expansion] when it came out
- DVD set of whole Baldur Saga some years later [when I moved and my CDs were far far away]
- GOG version [for my new Mac, when DVDs were similarly too far]
- BGEE [from Mac AppStore; yet to play it, since I was waiting for the patch for months -- still waiting]

So, my count sits at *4*. (Same for BG2; and 2 each for IWD, IWD2, PST, ToEE.)

Comments

• Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    -large disc wallet edition that came with ToSC

-DVD edition after some discs became un readable due to over use

-a smaller 5 disc edition after my computer literally melting itself and graphics card being serverely deaded cuased my dad to throw PC away without thinking if there was a disc in it
    - BG:EE

and to save time ill list BG2
    -aforementioned DVD version location unknown
    - big box edition location under a mattress for safe keeping
    - BG2:EE
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    2. I've mostly played the original disc versions my brother bought. I got all the BGs in the D&D Anthology thingie over on Gamersgate though and have bought BG:EE from Beamdog.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Only twice for me, I own the original cd version of BG and BG2, and the expansion discs. Then of course I got the Enchanced Editions, pre ordered both through Beamdog (no Steam taking their money).

Very nostalgic thing, makes me remember what it was like to be a teenager during the late nineties. Playing BG:EE often makes me want to play some music from that era and just think about how everything was easier back then.

Christ, now I feel old.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    The original CD set.
    The Original Saga
    BG:EE
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, let's see:

- Original edition
    - BG:EE

Put's my total at 2. However, as far as BG2 is concerned, it looks like this:

- Original collectors edition box set
    - Version to "Play" with so I didn't ruin my collectors edition
    - Replacement CDs when one of my originals got scratched
    - 2nd Replacement CDs when I "Lost" my first replacements in a move (subsequently found them in a box that never got opened)
    - GOG edition
    - Soon to be BG2:EE

I also have 2 copies of PST and 2 editions of IWD. But yeah, it's worth it.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I bought the game twice. Once with the original discs (a friend later gave me their disc for TotSC), a second time through Beamdog.

A friend bought me the version through Steam, so the game has been purchased on my behalf 3 times.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    BG 1 Complete and BG 2 Complete from GoG.

BG EE from Steam.

BG EE for Ipad.

BG 2 EE pre-order from Beamdog.

I guess for this forum, that's not very dedicated at all...

I'm sorry.
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    edited November 2013
    Thrice.

All of the original CD's from 1998 to 2001.
    About 7 years later i bought the DVD set of BG1 + BG2 + ToB.
    And now BG:EE.

Speaking of which, I should really get me arse off me chair and pre-order BG2:EE
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059

Travel safe, brave warrior @Ygramul! May you find adventure, fortune and fame during your travels!

*nods in respect*

May we all play the latest BGHRE (Baldur's Gate: Hyper-Reality Edition) in 2018 when it comes out.

Minsc and Boo and I, warriors and gamers everywhere, rejoice!

• chaosapiantchaosapiant Member Posts: 32
    Original 5 CD plus TOTSC Cd
    Re-release/3 CD version
    DVD Saga
    GOG
    BG:EE
    BG:EE Steam
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Baldur's Gate was purchased twice. The original and BGEE. I still have my original CDs in usable condition from 1998 (I think that's when it was released). Same goes for Baldur's Gate 2 (pre-ordered BG2EE)
  • TurinTurin Member Posts: 42
    - The 5+1 CDs version of BG1 and TotSC.
    - The 4 cd original version of SoA.
    - The original ToB.
    - A 1 or 2 disc version of BG1 and TotSC a few years ago.
    - BGEE for PC.
    - BGEE for iPad.
    - BG2EE preorder for PC.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    At one point I did actually consider getting one of those silly tablet pcs just for the sake of BG:EE. Rather curious about how well it plays on a touch screen and it'd be portable Baldur's Gate! \o/

Alas, no Android release. Tis for the best probably, saves me heaps of money :P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    4 times for bg1 and 3 times for bg2. Cd version of bg1 (no totsc), cd version of bg2 (no tob), gog.com version of both, ee version of both but one copy of bgee on steam (windows) and one copy on beamdog (mac)..
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    Original CD copies of both BG1 and TotSC
    Collectors Edition version of SoA
    GOG version of Both
    EE edition of BG and BG2
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161
    i've considered picking it up on my Ipad too but i really want to try out the interface before i commit
    edited November 2013
    Actually, I should have rephrased the question partly to:

How many new rigs did you buy for BG? (Though it is no longer a CPU power issue.)

I fully intend to buy an Android tablet after the release of BGEE on the Android.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    BG1, I bought twice. The original and EE.
    BG2 I bought 3 times. My second copy replaced my damaged discs. The game would crash everytime I attempted to enter into the thieves guild so completely the game was difficult without the replacement.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    I bought the original discs, then they got scratched up and I bought new ones ... and then I moved and lost them so I bought them again. Then I found them in a box last year! .... and BGEE. Does that count as 4?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, I bought the original game once. I bought BG2 twice (second was collector's edition). And I know I've purchased the Complete DVD collection twice. I also ended up purchasing 3 copies of EE (PC, Mac, iPad). BG2EE will just be Mac and iPad (or just Mac, even).

So i guess I've owned 6 copies if BG1 in some form, and counting my 2EE pre-order 5 of BG2.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think I have probably bought it a total of 5 times over the years

My general rule for buying games on steam is £1 = 1 hour of play time.
    So if I buy a game in the sales for £10 and play it for 22 hours, it's a good purchase.
    If I buy a game in the sales for £5 and I play it for 4 hours, it's a bad purchase.

By this logic, I calculate I would need to buy a total of 10-15 copies of BG:EE in order for it to become a bad purchase, and around 200-300 copies of BG originals.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    When I was younger I had a thing called hope regarding PC games, and was into the roleplaying aspect of the BG series heavily, so bought both collectors editions from America, then bought 2 english versions as a backup. For the next 4 years I only purchased Fallout1/2 and the remaining IE games.

So 6 with the BG:EE 1/2.

It's funny how a person can go from that level of engagement (the collectors editions may have had that unique item designed for my character) to totally jaded to the point of boycotting company practices, pre-orders, and DLC.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2013
    erm once normal and once EE

yeh im pretty hardcore
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Whoa, lemme think on this one.

One original 5 disc BG - when it first came out.

One original TOTSC single disc - when it first came out.

....some time later after I had scratched the discs beyond recognition and overplaying....

One combined BG:TOTSC 6 disc pack.

One copy of BG2 when it came out.

One copy of ToB when it came out.

Later: One combined copy of BG:TOTSC & BG2:ToB (got for free with an old laptop)

Later: One extra combined copy of BG:TOTSC & BG2:ToB (After I lost some of the other CDs.)

Later: One BG:ToTSC for free from PCworld. (For some reason I couldn't get it to work.)

Later: BG:ToTSC & BG2:ToB from GOG.com.

BG:EE 3 times. 1) iPad 2) Steam 3) Beamdog client

It's actually ridiculous. It seems I have lost the majority of my discs APART from the ToTSC cd's. I have a pile of them somewhere - I'll see if I can dig them up and post an image or something.

What can I say? I'm just not very good at looking after CD's.
    Yeah, the strange observation here is, I bet our answers are typically more than how many times we got back together with our favorite boyfriend/girlfriend over the years after partings.

In some sad sense, we are more faithful to BG than to our love affairs.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Ygramul said:

Yeah, the strange observation here is, I bet our answers are typically more than how many times we got back together with our favorite boyfriend/girlfriend over the years after partings.

In some sad sense, we are more faithful to BG than to our love affairs.

Your love life is different than mine. When I part ways with somebody, it is OVER. It's not that I'm completely against the idea of getting back together; it just hasn't happened and I don't go out of my way to make it happen again.

I never broke up with Baldur's Gate, we just went to different colleges for a while. I *did* break up with EverQuest though, and I never went back. See the difference?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Let's see. The original game, then Tales of the Sword Coast, then BG2, then Throne of Bhaal. Then a 'triple pack' (actually a quadruple pack) of BG+TotSC+BGII:SoA+ToB. I also bought BG2 from GoG on a whim some time back.

Then... BG:EE. Without putting a number on it, it's okay to just say "a few," right?
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656

Well I managed to find three of them relatively easily. I am guessing there are at least two copies underneath my bed at my mum's house and one in my old attic.
  • CaradocCaradoc Member Posts: 92
    edited November 2013
    1. Orginal cd rom versions of both games and expansion packs when they were released.
    2. Few years later some kind of baldur's gate collection pack which included both games and expansion packs:
    3. DVD versions of both games and expansion packs
    4. Digital versions of both games and expansion packs (gog)
    5. Bg ee (and soon bg2ee:)
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    1. The original Discs of both games and all expansions.
    2. GoG version of all of the above
    3. BGEE (both 1 & 2)
    4. Second copy of BGEE for my wife.