Skip to content

A new, improved version of the Shadowdancer kit in BG2:EE

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
So, with the manuals for BG2:EE available now, we can see the Shadowdancer kit gets amazing HLAs.

I just have not enough words to say thank you to the Devs who have created these NEW shiny HLAs and thus have made the Shadowdancer kit truly unique:

o SHADOW FORM: This ability temporarily transposes some of the Shadowdancer’s tissue with shadow-material, making the subject partially incorporeal. For the next 5 rounds, all physical attacks directed against the Shadowdancer deal only 50% of their normal damage. During this time the Shadowdancer is also under the effects of Improved Invisibility and cannot be directly targeted by spells.
o SHADOW MAZE: This ability opens a temporary gateway to a small pocket within the Plane of Shadow. All enemies within 10 feet of the Shadowdancer must make a saving throw vs. spells at a -4 penalty or become trapped inside a shadowy labyrinth, as per the Maze spell.
o SHADOW TWIN: This ability creates an almost exact duplicate of the Shadowdancer for 2 turns. The duplicate is created at 60% of the level at which the Shadowdancer is currently on. It has all the abilities that the Shadowdancer would have at that level. It also has 60% of the hit points of the Shadowdancer. The duplicate is fully under the control of the Shadowdancer.

And now the Shadowdancer kit gets the impoved backstab progression:

o Level 1-4: x1 (no multiplier)
o Level 5-8: x2
o Level 9-12: x3
o Level 13+: x4

It clearly shows the Devs hear what we (common gamers) say and constantly try to make the game better.

I think this news will be interesting especially for those of us who played and discussed the Shadowdancer kit a lot, including @Basillicum , @Aranthys , @Infiltrator , @Edvin , @enneract and many others

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'm gonna dance in the shadows with this kit.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I wonder if I'll be able to mod the SD HLAs to be takeable by Viconia (due to her Cleric of Shar-ness)...
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    edited November 2013
    I m just a bit sad that they get their maximum multiplier so early (basically at the start of SoA, since level 13 is what ? 660k xp ?), but I guess it's fine :D
    The Shadow Maze ability shouldn't allow a save, the HLA is basically worse than the labyrinth spell :(

Edit.: Otherwise, it's awesome :p Don't want to be all negative :D
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2013
    Wow, that's EXTREMELY cool!

Edit: Goes to read the manual...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    That's really cool and exactly what I wanted!
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    will these changes work when I import my bgee 1.2 shadowdancer or do I have to make a new one?
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Really cool. I'm curious though - since I can't seem to remember this from previous playthroughs - will a dual classed Shadowdancer be able to choose these HLAs?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Really cool. I'm curious though - since I can't seem to remember this from previous playthroughs - will a dual classed Shadowdancer be able to choose these HLAs?

Not unless they dual class at level 24-26 (depending upon how many you want to pick up).
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    If I remember correctly if you dual class you will only be to choose HLA for the class you dual classed into.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited November 2013
    Do we have any confirmation if they'll lose normal thief trap HLAs, or are these in addition to those?

*Edit* Having looked at the manual, we'll need to see what's actually implemented ingame. The manual lists thief skills at 15 points per level as opposed to BG:EE v1.2s 20 points per level. The Backstab multiplier chart there could be referring to an older build.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Damn. Now we're talking :) That kit could even begin to interest me too now... those new little abilities are just... attracting the imagination indeed.. :)
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Messi said:

If I remember correctly if you dual class you will only be to choose HLA for the class you dual classed into.

That's because you would nearly always dual before 3m exp. You can gain HLAs before dualing, but it doesn't make much sense to dual that late.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited November 2013

will these changes work when I import my bgee 1.2 shadowdancer or do I have to make a new one?

There are no high level abilities (HLAs) in BGEE. It is only in BGIIEE. In BGIIEE, you may pick them when your shadowdancer (regardless of origin) reaches a certain level.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Ohh and for the record its not possible to dual class a level 26 Shadowdancer into anything other than a cleric (without removing the level cap). A level 24 Shadowdancer likewise could only be dualed into a fighter or a cleric (not a mage). Even then unless you have a very limited party it won't be worth it. So basically chances are if you are looking at getting these abilities you are sticking as a Shadowdancer.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you aren't shy of using EEKeeper you can mod dualing into kits as well as kitted multiclasses.
    @elminster I've never really seen it as an option to dual class at such a high level anyway (although I suppose one might make it viable if one is particularly cunning), but thanks for the info.

I will stick to my plan of dualling to Mage at a lower level this time around, but I will definitely try out the HLAs with a full-on Shadowdancer some other time. They look awesome. :)
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    @Avenger_teambg sorry I should have been clearer... I rather meant the bachstab progression...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Is it me, or did this thread get ruthlessly whitewashed? I distinctly remember posting in here...
    @Schneidend There have been several overcrowded threads on the Shadowdancer subject, but I think this one is the first one concerning BG2:EE and HLAs. Are you sure you're not thinking of one of the other fourteen threads?
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Wow. They basically implemented the ideas that didn't suck from the feedback threads. That just doesn't happen. I'm honestly flabbergasted.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    I wonder which, if any, HLAs they give up. I'm thinking maybe the traps?
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I already started playing with a 10 shadowdancer dualed to a mage, now I'm restarting the game and waiting till 13 shadowdancer levels before dualing. 4x backstab multy, HIPS, and more thieve points to get me up to 100 move silently and hide in shadows plus sufficient trapping skills, oh my!

P.S ... when you get those shadowdancer levels back, you can use HIPS and backstab while polymorphed, trololololol OVERPOWERED.
    HandofTyr said:

I wonder which, if any, HLAs they give up. I'm thinking maybe the traps?

Yes I tested levelling one up to HLA levels to see the abilities, and they dont get any traps.

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Mungri said:

I already started playing with a 10 shadowdancer dualed to a mage, now I'm restarting the game and waiting till 13 shadowdancer levels before dualing. 4x backstab multy, HIPS, and more thieve points to get me up to 100 move silently and hide in shadows plus sufficient trapping skills, oh my!

P.S ... when you get those shadowdancer levels back, you can use HIPS and backstab while polymorphed, trololololol OVERPOWERED.

The polymorphed creature weapons are considered as backstab-able weapons ?
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    bengoshi said:

I just have not enough words to say thank you to the Devs who have created these NEW shiny HLAs and thus have made the Shadowdancer kit truly unique

Thanks, I'm glad you like them. :)

• RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    bengoshi said:

So, with the manuals for BG2:EE available now, we can see the Shadowdancer kit gets amazing HLAs.

I just have not enough words to say thank you to the Devs who have created these NEW shiny HLAs and thus have made the Shadowdancer kit truly unique:

And now the Shadowdancer kit gets the impoved backstab progression:

o Level 1-4: x1 (no multiplier)
    o Level 5-8: x2
    o Level 9-12: x3
    o Level 13+: x4

And here I begin to wonder if the shadowdancer get's the same modifiers in BG:EE. I mean, you usually start BG2 with about lvl 8, you finish BG:EE around lvl 8 (depending on class, party) if you dutifully do all quests. It would be quite backwards to lower the requirements in the sequel, but let the backstab be virtually unreachable in the prequel. *crossesfinger*
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Really, really love the new shadowdancer HLA's. I would've been happy with just the modified backstab progression (just right - not too strong, not too nerfed), but the extra abilities really make the kit stand out. Looking forward to playing it :)
    edited November 2013
    Aranthys said:

Mungri said:

The polymorphed creature weapons are considered as backstab-able weapons ?
    Oh, that Im not too sure about.

TBH I dont like it anymore, I levelled my character to 10 Shadowdancer / 11 Mage, and even with 19 str it can barely hit or backstab stuff. You need to keep a Shadowdancer pure like an Assassin and wait till higher levels to be able to hit things. I'm going back to using the swashbuckler kit for my dual classes instead.