Skip to content

If They Made a Baldur's Gate Movie: Redux, The Definitive Casting

Comments

• DrEastDrEast Member Posts: 113
    Visual appearance aside, I think Felicia Day would make a fantastic Nalia.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Felicia Day would make a decent Imoen as well as she is such a loveable goof. Nalia works though.

Gorion: Liam Neeson
    Imoen: Alysson Hannagan
    Sarevok: Vin Diesel
    I think thos three are obvious

Jon Irenicus: Jason Isaacs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWihzwI2uY

BG1 and 2 and "canon cast"
    Minsc.... go back in time, kidnap Jim Cummings, shave his head and make him hit the gym for seven hours a day. If this doesn't work for some inexplicable reason then I guess Igor Jijikine will do *sigh*
    Khalid: John Hannah or Mr. Bean :D
    Jaheira: Elsa Pataky (youtube her) is the only actress I can think of who can do the voice well enough while still looking somewhat like the part (her cheekbones are a bit wide, but she can pull it off and something about her makes me think half-elf... don't know why)... I'd want the Jaheira romance in this story
    Edwin: Edward Norton (Edwon!) or Zachary Quinto
    Dynaheir: Kandyse McClure is purrrty
    Viconia: Scarlett Johansen (can't stand her as an actress, but she looks the part well enough and does decent accents)

BG1 only
    Xan: Alan Rickman (such a perfect dry voice, but will need a lot of makeup)
    Kivan: Mads Mikkelsen has the right demeanor
    Ajantis: Jamie Bamber
    Tiax: Charley Day
    Bodhi: a lot of people always bring up Helena Bonham Carter but I hate her overacting so I'll go with
    Branwen: Haley Atwell *.*
    Eldoth: IS Colin Farrel
    Skie: Katie Holmes
    Garrick: Anton Yelchin
    Xzar: Zachary Quinto
    Monty: Karl Urban :):):) I really like this one, and I think it could work
    Kagain: fould mouthed Ian McShane

BG2 Only
    Anomen: Timothy Olyphant is so great but a bit older. Perhaps Jake Gyllenhal (but I hate him) or even better maybe Orlando Bloom? Tough one
    Aerie: as @tethoriloflathander said April Bowelby could work (she certainly looks the part)
    Nalia: Felicia Day
    Mazzy: A shrunken Morena Baccarin *o* *o* *o*
    Haer-Dalis: James Franco? lulz
    Korgan: Sullivan Stapleton or Liev Schreiber
    Jan Jansen: Robert Sheehan would have a very interesting take :D
    Cernd: Adam Beach
    Valygar: Tough one but Brandon Fobbs might work
    Keldorn: I love Robert Duvall but I'm not sure if he's perfect... Rufus Sewell is good
    Yoshimo: Tadanobu Asano with some English lessons!

Random
    Noober: Michael Cera
    Winthrop: Jorge Garcia or maybe William Shatner lol
    Volo: Zach Galifanakis
  • @booinyoureyes, she definitely sounds the part too. Check her out in Two and a Half Men xD
    i'll youtube her... that came out creepy :o
    Idris Elba is an amazing actor. I was actually looking for an excuse to put him in there, haha. I did consider Sarevok but Vin Diesel's voice, and the fact that he loves D&D, kind of settled the deal.
    I'd like Idris Elba to play the head Paladin in the Order of the Radiant Heart perhaps?

And speaking of Thor, I was thinking that Chris Hemsworth would make a great Bhaalspawn. I'd want his hair died dark though. Also the Bhaalspawn would be simplest if played as a generic warrior rather than a caster of some sort.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236

There has to be a part in this film somewhere for Nathan Fillion, there just has to be, but I'm damned if I can think what.

Oh, wait, I have it! Khalid, he would be awesome as Khalid! I guess that would make Stana Katic Jaheira.

He's too confident to be Khalid. Nathan Fillion OWNS THE SCREEN. He needs to be someone energetic, like Saemon Havarian. Shame he doesn't have the looks to be Coran.

... Though Stana Katic Jaheira, THAT I am behind 100%.
    Nathan Fillion=Gaelen Bayle

Cooo!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    S̨͞O҉͏ ҉͠CO͝N͝͝F̨̕U̢̧S͡E͠D͘

John Hannah as Khalid?? Have you seen John Hannah in the past 20, 25 years? No make up in the world can make him Khalid. He's also a bit too, umm, LARGE HAM-y for Khalid; I could see him as Tiax with some camera trickery to make him a gnome.

As awesome as Zachary Quinto is, I feel it would be a bit much to have him play 3 roles (Xzar, Edwin and Charname, though that role is shared with Masi Oka, obviously. Eyelar and Eye of Hiro are the same person, so it's one role.) In the unlikely case that this imaginary movie will not have a Beholder Paladin charname, he can play Xzar. Edwin frankly needs to be less... caucasian/white. Nick Tarabay is my ideal Edwin, with Shane Rangi as Minsc. (Spartacus viewers will understand this.)

Nick Odesseiron

The one true non-Beholder bhaalspawn is Dustin Clare as a neutral good barbarian or fighter type.
    @KidCarnival
    I think John Hannah is fine as Khalid because I always imagined Khalid as older. Something about his picture. He has many wrinkles. Plus John Hannah from The Mummy reminds me a bit of Khalid with his courage.
    Shane Rangi is an inspired choice for Minsc... however he may also be a good Wilson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-1m-KyOv9c
    Older as charname, yes. That much older (looking), no. Plus, John Hannah definitely has higher charisma than Khalid; why downplay it on a character meant to be rather uncharismatic?

Nick Tarabay and Shane Rangi can definitely pull off the accents and fit in the roles (as far as typecasting is concerned, along with a heritage closer to what Thay and Rashemen would correspond to), and that is something I'm just not seeing with the usual, popular casting suggestions for both. Sure, Bas Rutten is a dead ringer for Minsc's portrait, but Shane Rangi isn't that far off and I would trust him with acting and accents a lot more than Rutten. A movie would also not depend on "casting by people who happen to be in the office" like the BG1 portraits. That's a chance to cast people with an authentic look and not whitewash NPCs that would not be caucasian if the portraits were true to the lore.
    Rashemen is a Russia analogue right? Minsc's accent always reminded me of "vague jolly eastern european"
    It's a neighboring country of Thay/Egypt.
    edited December 2013
    I knew Thay was Egyptian style, Kara-Tur is obvious and I know Chessenta is modeled after Ancient Greece (woo woot represent!)

Calimshan is like a Syrian-style nation though... so I don't think geography is as good an indicator as culture

Also I think he could play Khalid with a little makeup

and he is just so great at being a goofy coward while also being somehow a badass that it would work imho
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432

Keldorn: I love Robert Duvall but I'm not sure if he's perfect... Rufus Sewell is good

Oh, good grief, Rufus Sewell, what a good idea. He has a very special place in my heart, I fell for him when he played a skirt wearing Petrucio in the updated version of The Taming of The Shrew

Moczo said:

There has to be a part in this film somewhere for Nathan Fillion, there just has to be, but I'm damned if I can think what.

Oh, wait, I have it! Khalid, he would be awesome as Khalid! I guess that would make Stana Katic Jaheira.

He's too confident to be Khalid. Nathan Fillion OWNS THE SCREEN. He needs to be someone energetic, like Saemon Havarian. Shame he doesn't have the looks to be Coran.

... Though Stana Katic Jaheira, THAT I am behind 100%.
    Yep, the more I think about it, she'd make an excellent Jaheira. Okay, how about he plays Aran Linvail, I think that'd work.

I honestly think Nathan Fillion is best as Gaelyn Bayle. He plays a good rogue. I always found Gaelyn to be a memorable character... literally I feel horrible if I had to turn him down to join up with Bodhi.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Also the Bhaalspawn would be simplest if played as a generic warrior rather than a caster of some sort.

Yeah, we all knew how well that went in the novel ... >_>
    Quartz said:

Also the Bhaalspawn would be simplest if played as a generic warrior rather than a caster of some sort.

hmmm? what novel? i don't know about any novel series written by philip athans and published in 1998. no sir, no idea. they exist only in fairy tales.

Quartz said:

hmmm? what novel? i don't know about any novel series written by philip athans and published in 1998. no sir, no idea. they exist only in fairy tales.
    Yeah, Grimm's fairy tales...
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @booinyoureyes Now please inform me on who this Philip Athans is/was. I am curious.

edited December 2013
    GemHound said:

@booinyoureyes Now please inform me on who this Philip Athans is/was. I am curious.

Well I haven't read his other works but if his writing it consistent to that of the Baldur's Gate 1 novelization, he is quite possibly the worst published author I have ever read. rofl

The sad thing? I read that thing back when I was like seven years old. Even back then I knew it was bad. ...Yeah.
    edited December 2013
    Quartz said:

GemHound said:

Well I haven't read his other works but if his writing it consistent to that of the Baldur's Gate 1 novelization, he is quite possibly the worst published author I have ever read. rofl

The sad thing? I read that thing back when I was like seven years old. Even back then I knew it was bad. ...Yeah.
    @quartz
    If you wrote it when you were seven it would have been better.

I was also really young when I read it and I found it horrendous. I thought the author had done a playthrough (on a difficult setting) and just jotted down what happened in his game. Hence the "bah I'm too stupid to use magic, so i'll use Xan as a fighter. Oh he died? Okay that will be chapter three."

• Sure, Bas Rutten is a dead ringer for Minsc's portrait, but Shane Rangi isn't that far off and I would trust him with acting and accents a lot more than Rutten.

Rutten has done some acting, granted nowhere near as much, yet he has the same personality as Minsc (or thereabouts) and his Dutch accent is very similar to Minsc's Ukrainian/Russian styled voice. Minsc wouldn't really be too hard of a character to act out anyway, just look a little beserk, be good at war cries and get along well with Dynaheir. Both Rangi and Rutten do have experience in fighting and stunts too. Another thing to worry about is height. Rangi is 6ft 4, meaning that if you want Sarevok to dwarf everyone you've gotta get someone over 6ft 4 & with the back of Joel Stubbs xD

@booinyoureyes Don't forget slapping the spider off of Jaheira's tits and then feeling guilty. Legendary.

Sure, Bas Rutten is a dead ringer for Minsc's portrait, but Shane Rangi isn't that far off and I would trust him with acting and accents a lot more than Rutten.

Rutten has done some acting, granted nowhere near as much, yet he has the same personality as Minsc (or thereabouts) and his Dutch accent is very similar to Minsc's Ukrainian/Russian styled voice. Minsc wouldn't really be too hard of a character to act out anyway, just look a little beserk, be good at war cries and get along well with Dynaheir. Both Rangi and Rutten do have experience in fighting and stunts too. Another thing to worry about is height. Rangi is 6ft 4, meaning that if you want Sarevok to dwarf everyone you've gotta get someone over 6ft 4 & with the back of Joel Stubbs xD

Well, I'm not neccessarily in favor of Vin Diesel as Sarevok anyway. XD

No, seriously, Minsc is meant to be an imposing guy, i see nothing wrong with the height. Sarevok could always be made taller digitally. If you go with the "canon party" as the main characters, Minsc would be around in much more scenes than Sarevok and it would be easier to alter him in his few un-armored-shadowy-figure-in-the-dark scenes than someone who is in full view for most of the movie.
    For the first appearance - the ambush - Minsc would not be around to compare to Sarevok. In the coronation ceremony, put Sarevok on some steps or just use a camera angle that won't show Minsc and him next to each other. In the final battle, you can focus on Minsc going against Angelo, because you'd want the main character bhaalspawn to go head to head with Sarevok anyway.

Acting is also defined by the ability to play a role, not "just be yourself", so Bas Rutten having the same personality as Minsc (and I hope for him that's not really the case) isn't a selling point to me.

Acting is also defined by the ability to play a role, not "just be yourself", so Bas Rutten having the same personality as Minsc (and I hope for him that's not really the case) isn't a selling point to me.

I agree, but as much as I love him as a character I don't think Minsc would be a very demanding role.

Also... you don't like the Iron Giant for Sarevok????? What is wrong with you! Vin Diesel is a very under-rated actor who has been great in both serious roles and the campy fun action movies he usually stars in. He was imposing in Riddick and I imagine he would bring the same sort of performance to the role of Sarevok... plus... he is a real D&D fan and therefore is more likely to take the role seriously.
    When it comes to genre films, this is actually a huge problem. Think about how great superhero films have been lately. Compare the most recent ones to the films that came out before Hugh Jackman's Wolverine performance. Hugh Jackman took that role seriously and did his best, and the first X-Men movie paved the way for more genre films about similar source material.
    If an actor is willing to actually give his best in a niche role like this, it is always a huge factor.
    I'm with @KidCarnival, I don't really think Vin Diesel would be make a good Sarevok. *Shrug* Nothing against Vin Diesel, I just don't see him fitting into that role.
    Well, you can argue that point about various actors who had similar roles before. A good actor always takes a role serious, even if it is a comedy. It's their job, and if they don't take it serious because the character is funny or they don't care about the source material, they are just bad at their job. The real problem is writers not taking the source material serious. As example, the disgrace of Highlander (the last, franchise-burying atrocity) where the main writer stated he never watched the show and therefore writes all characters how he thinks they would "be a refreshing surprise for fans of the show" (read: polar opposite of what had been popular with fans).

If Minsc travels with charname from Nashkel on, his role may not be "demanding", but it would definitely be bigger than Sarevok's, who is in 3 scenes (ambush, coronation, final battle). It's not like the movie would be bound to the minor banters BG1 has.

I suggest Glenn Jacobs as Sarevok. He has the "scary, giant guy" thing down and I trust him to learn the lines for the few scenes he'd be in. With 6' 10" (2.8 m), it should also be no problem to tower over Shane Rangi.
    @kidcarnival
    I guess I'm just a big Vin Diesel fan, and when I first saw Pitch Black I was immediately reminded of Sarevok.

Also, it is awesome that you are a Highlander fan. It was one of my favorite concepts when I was younger. I used to vacation in Greece for the summers and they would always play Highlander during the time when most people would have their "siesta" (They were always like five years behind the State in television programming and things had to be serialized like Hercules, Xena, etc). I watched the first two seasons in college but have not had time to finish it since then (when i was young I just saw random episodes on tv)

I assume you are referring to The Source which I never saw but heard was horrible from any who has seen it. I actually LOVED Endgame... I always liked Duncan>Connor.

If it was to be remade I really would want Misha Collins to play the role of Connor. I'd have liked to see Karl Urban as Duncan.