Skip to content

If They Made a Baldur's Gate Movie: Redux, The Definitive Casting

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Anyone watched the newer Battlestar Galactica?

How about the guy who played Baltar as Xan?

He is a decent enough actor (in neurotic parts at least) and he looks the part for sure:

Hmmm... Crazy, handsome, and just depressing enough to work. I kinda like it. :)

Plus he's really short, so would pass for an elf. He also looks exactly like Xan's portrait, especially with that hair.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235

Another thing, it would have to be something like a Kickstarter deal where the writers and producers were not shackled to the typical Hollywood formula. They wouldn't have to throw in the obligatory love interest, comic relief, minority and socially relevant sub-plot.

They wouldn't have to invent a comic relief character, they already have Minsc! (Right Boo?)
    I'm not sure how BG the story would necessarily translate into a single track though. Basically, there wouldn't be any wandering off the beaten track "Just to explore". There would have to be a reason why they went to Durlag's tower other than the sheer adventure of it.
    When it comes to content, letting people down seems almost inevitable when there is so much to choose from. What we or the hypothetical writers may think is a meaningless quest that can be sacrificed for the sake of the story's movement, another fan might be outraged about. Same goes for characters. Believe it or not, there are people who hate Minsc, but it would not be Baldur's Gate without him.
    And they would have to invent reasons for each of the companions to join above and beyond what we see. For instance, upon entering Nashkal, there would have to be a scene where Minsc is drawn to or is noticed by the party such that they are forced together. Him just standing around, there's no real reason why people on the run from unknown assassins would go around asking random bald crazy men for work. Well, ok there might be, but I think any author would want to make it more tangible.
    They could tweak that encounter very easily. There's a built guy in armor, speaking to the hamster in his hand, asking bystanders to aid him in the rescue of his witch. The party starts to talk with him, and they realize he is a strong warrior, with a powerful wizard, who might be extremely useful allies.

So, should it mostly be the canon party? Other NPCs step in from time to time? Im unsure... Would for instance make lots of room for Oldman as Edwin.. Or Cumberbact as Xan

I think "mostly", yes. Or at least end up in the end with the canon party so that Irenicus' dungeon scene would make more sense. But also remember that in a movie there's not a strong need to stick to the six-person-party rule. Also, imho Edwin gets more interesting in BG2.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

So, should it mostly be the canon party? Other NPCs step in from time to time? Im unsure... Would for instance make lots of room for Oldman as Edwin.. Or Cumberbact as Xan

I could see a reasonable size party of Canon (esque) members. I would hope that most of the rest would show up, such that maybe you see some guy in a red robe soliciting help in Nashkal. Maybe someone comments about this surley dwarf who owns a shop in Beregost. Maybe Shar-Teel and Dorn are sharing a drink in the Friendly Arm Inn while arm wrestling and dissing on men. But I don't think a HUGE cast would be cost effective, nor beneficial to the script. IMHO.

I certainly think so. Xan "special guest star"

Also I'd imagine Edwin would play a pretty prominent role as a minor villain, with Minsc in the main party and Edwin appearing in all 3 of the games.
    edited March 2014

Also I'd imagine Edwin would play a pretty prominent role as a minor villain, with Minsc in the main party and Edwin appearing in all 3 of the games.

I imagine something like this: the group take on Edwin and Minsc, where Edwin is not telling what he intends to do when they find Dynaheir. When they do, Edwin betrays the group, and showing his arrogance (him vs 6 others? HAH!) attacks them, but eventually escapes. Maybe he ambushes them once more and escapes again.

Their next encounter with Edwin as in the game, at Maevar's. Once that business is finished the party might turn on him, or he on them, and he escapes again. Next they encounter him below the graveyard, where he is searching for the Nether Scroll alone, and he gets into a fight with the party *again*. Thinking the Nether Scroll might help him win the fight, he reads it, and gets turned into a woman. :)

That's as far as I got @booinyoureyes. :)
    That is great @Sjerrie‌
    @Sjerrie - the only thing I'd change would be that, when the party is in Nashkal, they get approached by Edwin, with intent to hire them. Before things get finalized, Minsc barges in and threatens Edwin. He leaves and subsequently shows up in the Gnoll Fortress when the party finally gets there. Yada. fight seen. Edwin escapes.

But I think either story line is viable.
    @the_spyder interesting idea! That also circumvents the problem of why the party would pick up an oddball talking to a hamster.

The party, including Edwin, defeat the gnolls and reach Dynaheir. Before the party realizes it Edwin readies a spell to finish her off, in comes raging Minsc (go for the eyes Boo!) and knocks Edwin over. Stalemate, Edwin is semi-forced to tell the truth, and the party realizes he is the bad guy and Minsc the good guy. Some more exchange of blows, Dynaheir vouches for Minsc, and the canon party is complete.
    That works as well. I think the story line is rife with possibilities. And the more there is some 'Doubt' as to who the right person is until the last minute, the more intrigue for the audience. Kudos for that.

I don't know. I'd almost think that there's too much story line for a 2 hour movie. I am thinking that a web series might do the trick though. Smaller audience. Lower overhead cost. Probably lesser known talent. But still it could be good. And you could do the story justice over 13 or so 40 minute episodes.

that format would also work as any cameos, say Shar-Teel in The Friendly Arm Inn, or more likely in the Jovial Juggler, wouldn't require someone to get paid for the entire movie, but just one episode. And each of the 'Extra' NPCs could be given the right attention in one off episodes, with returning characters like Edwin being brought back.

Just musing.
    Not sure why everyone wants Xan in the movie, or at least wants to cast for him. Personally he is a boatload of more depressing than I can handle, so I usually leave him locked away in the mines.

With that having been said, I think that Billy Campbell would do a good job as him.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I still think the best option is not to do a single movie. Baldur's gate is expansive and like a lot of book movies, it could be split.

In my planned script, the game's actual 'content' wouldn't even start to partway through Part 1 since we need to establish Gorion's past. Hell, it probably would end on a rather downer event with Gorion gutted and dead.

Also, why can't party members come and go?

I mean sure they could be temporary, but guys like Ajantis, Garrick, and the two gnomes should spend some time since they appear in the SoA. Quayle could spend some time talking about his circus to foreshadow Aerie and Ajantis could foreshadow Keldorn's existence.

I also don't know why we need to adhere to the 6 head limit. I would include Yeslick at the final battle since, more than probably even Charname himself, he has a reason to want to follow through on it what with his homeland destroyed.
    edited March 2014
    Dazzu said:

I still think the best option is not to do a single movie. Baldur's gate is expansive and like a lot of book movies, it could be split.

In my planned script, the game's actual 'content' wouldn't even start to partway through Part 1 since we need to establish Gorion's past. Hell, it probably would end on a rather downer event with Gorion gutted and dead.

Agreed, there's plenty material for multiple movies. Care must be taken however that there's not too many main characters as that could make the plot harder to follow. Sure, we know a lot of them by heart, but people less familiar with BG might not. My ideal prologue would start with Gorion's raid and subsequent rescue of Charname, then the first half of the movie him growing up, Gorion's death NEAR the end, and the ending when they reach the FAI and Jaheira and Khalid? Maybe..?
    Also, why can't party members come and go?

I mean sure they could be temporary, but guys like Ajantis, Garrick, and the two gnomes should spend some time since they appear in the SoA. Quayle could spend some time talking about his circus to foreshadow Aerie and Ajantis could foreshadow Keldorn's existence.
    While I find the idea very intriguing, I don't think there should be a lot of non-canon backstories made up. Basically stick to what we know for sure and be *very* careful with conjecture. I feel this way because many fans have already added more background info in their heads themselves, fleshed those mysteries, and alienating them would be a shame.
    I also don't know why we need to adhere to the 6 head limit. I would include Yeslick at the final battle since, more than probably even Charname himself, he has a reason to want to follow through on it what with his homeland destroyed.
    Hells YES. The battle with Sarevok should definitely be every plausible ally standing with Charname against him and his cronies. All good guys plus maybe a few neutrals. Since Yeslick is absent from BG2, we could have him die dramatically in that battle:

*gurgle* Did... *cough* did we win?

Yes my friend... we did... *sniff*

*cough* Then... my task is finished... Thank you Charname, it has been an honor... *gurgle* *dies*

Cue tears.
    Post edited by Sjerrie on
    edited March 2014
    I thought we all agreed that it will be a series of three 13 episode miniseries (one for each game) done by HBO with an infinite budget and the consensus choices of director, actors and plot elements from the regular contributors on this thread.

Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    @the_spyder‌ I see what you are saying about Xan, but I don't imagine him as a main staple member of the cast. He'd be a "special guest star".
    Imagine something like Bruce Campbell's character in Xena (The Prince of Thieves) or like Alex Krycek from the X-Files for someone like Edwin
    Also, Xzar and Monty would make for a very interesting Team Rocket style duo in show :D
    @booinyoureyes Would Gorion die at the end of ep. 1, or will we start with his death and handle Candlekeep life in flashbacks? The former feels more right to me.

Oh, and in case Sir Sean Connery doesn't want to come out of retirement for his cameos: imageimage
    edited March 2014
    @Sjerrie‌
    Honestly, I would actually have Gorion die in the end of the second episode, so that you can build up his backstory and actually give his character some gravitas. This would add emotional impact and actually make the Bhaalspawn's path toward finding Sarevok make more sense.

I wouldn't even mind the first scene being like chapter one in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer/Philosopher's Stone, where you see the aftermath of a horrible origin (without giving too much away) and show Gorion taking him in and deciding to raise/guide him. A very young Khalid and Jaheira could be there for brief cameos. Maybe even have Gorion die right before meeting up with Khalid and Jaheira

You know how Sarevok goes through all that hassle to find Gorion's ward and then decides to not make the effort to walk 25 meters south to find you after killing Gorion? Presumably because of his injuries.
    Well, I think a cool idea would be to have him injured badly and retreat (would show that Gorion was not just some scrub, and would add some credence to the Bhaalspawn being fairly prepared for life as an adventurer after living under his tutelage). After that, his remaining lackeys chase after the Bhaalspawn. He hides out and finds Imoen, who helps him to sneak away.
    The third episode begins like a case of cat and mouse, with some of Angelo's bandits chasing the two, only for Khalid and Jaheira to step in at the last moment to save them. They would morn Gorion's passing and would make their connection to the main character deeper and more meaningful, playing up their past association with his adopted father.

And thus the adventure begins!
    edited March 2014
    @booinyoureyes YES. < - since I couldn't click agree more than once.

You know how Sarevok goes through all that hassle to find Gorion's ward and then decides to not make the effort to walk 25 meters south to find you after killing Gorion? Presumably because of his injuries.

I always did find it odd that he didn't simply search for Charname after the murder. And how many trees were there actually to hide behind?? We need a more wooded area for that scene. Or have Charname's parting gift be a ring of invisiblity and pray that Sarevok's lackeys don't have something to counter that. That invisibility ring thing does reek a little of The One Ring though... :/ Maybe Gorion casting a quickened invisibility on Charname then.
    This is why I like the idea of Imoen. She's a thief who is sneaky ("I am gone").
    I like her to have an uncanny ability to avoid detection, that can maybe later be explained by her Bhaalspawninessness
    And have her able to hide Charname in the same way? Intriguing.

Idea: Why don't we handle casting a little in order of appearance? Starting with Candlekeepers? My first post here mentioned Chloe Moretz as Imoen, but still unsure. I do still think Dara O'Briain is a dead ringer for Winthrop. Not sure about Gorion. Needs to be someone who can cram All The Feels in his one episode...
    edited March 2014
    Good idea!

Lets assume this is a fantasy cast, so every actor is available and will give their heart and soul for the role. Maybe even pick the era they performed in (like, say, "young Val Kilmer" or "Older Robert Downey Junior")

I'd say the perfect candidate is Liam Neeson for Gorion. He has the gravitas for the role, and his voice and his presence seems to fit the role quite nicely.

For Winthrop, I'd do Mark Ryan (played in 1980s Robin of Sherwood and was most recently a main character in Black Sails) http://www.imdb.com/media/rm152752128/nm0752699?ref_=nm_ov_ph
    His Black Sails character resembles Winthrop in both appearance and demeanor.

For Firebead, I honestly just imagine Stan Lee, lol. But someone who can pull off absent minded professor with a bit of an attitude will do. If Anthony Quinn was alive he'd be perfect!

Imoen is tough, though Chloe Moretz isn't a horrible choice, but I'd maybe prefer Elizabeth Olsen (very good in Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene, so could do both BG1 Imoen AND BG2 Imoen)

I see John Simm as a great Khalid (he was in State of Play, but his character in Mad Dogs had a similar persona to Khalid, and played a gritty combat role pretty well in The Devil's Whore. He can play a beta male warrior imho)

Though this is certainly the one I am least comfortable with, I like the idea of Tabrett Bethel as Jaheira. She was in Legend of the Seeker and played a bitchy hero (which is basically Jaheira). She handles physical action pretty well, and does look a little... elven, I guess? She is possibly a better Viconia, but this is a tough one. see her here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kku8LvKcvU
    She'd have to be a bit more aggressive with her speech patterns, but she fits.

and besides: DAMN is she fine (and extra fine with dark hair) http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/23500000/Tabrett-Bethell-tabrett-bethell-23535899-450-600.jpg
    Thanks! Their passion for the role goes without saying, but I feel that while the chances to get all those big-shots together are incredibly small, if we start thinking "young Val Kilmer & older RDJ" then it'll *definitely* never happen. ;)

I like the idea of Liam Neeson as Gorion, but I also have a strong feeling for him as Keldorn, probably for the same reasons. (Keldorn = paladin Gorion?)

I don't think I've seen Mark Ryan on-screen, but he does look the part. Will check out Black Sails though, looks interesting! Same goes for Elizabeth Olsen and John Simm i'm afraid, but the latter does look like a Khalid!

Stan Lee could be put in there somewhere, even if not Firebead, there's an abundance of absentminded wizards in the games. :p

Oh Cara... ahem. Yes, I also can see her as Jaheira. Give her dreads (and maybe a tan?) and she's there. Why are you less comfortable with it? I do think she'd make a better Jaheira than Viconia though. Probably something about face/body type.
    @Sjerrie‌ I love Cara too! I'm just not sure about it because she would need to have a more commanding presence. She seemed more dangerous than haughty in LotS, though there is a fine line between the two, lol.

John Simm was also in Doctor Who (which I've never seen even an episode of) but it seemed like a very different character. He has a lot of range and is criminally underrated. Every time I see him he steals the show despite never feeling the need to chew the scenery. I highly recommend State of Play to anyone, and I really like Mad Dogs until the ending (which was absolutely unforgivably bad)

For Elizabeth Olsen (yes she is the younger sister of the Olsen Twins... and has more talent than them combined if they were the Olsen sextuplets!) she is really good as well. The movie Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene is about a girl who runs away and joins a weird cult. She gets away (or does she?) and is getting acclimated to the real world again, reconnecting with her sister who hasn't seen her in like two years. The way the experience changed her makes me think of Imoen after Irenicus's experiments. Highly recommended!

As you can tell... I love movies :)
    I love movies too, but I guess you know a few more than I do. I will check them out when I have the time. :)

I recently started a new asshole-evil playthrough, and of course I picked up Monty & Xzar, but I can't quite put a finger on their personality yet, and can't really think of any actors for them right now. that might come, this is my very first playthrough with BG1NPC and I hope that fleshes them out too. I also bumped into Neera, but reloaded because I want to see her reaction when I have Edwin already in tow...
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Mmm, lots of good ideas here :)

So should charname be some sort of fighter maybe? I think he should be a human, slightly conflicted with a will to do good, should have markings of a solid education and somewhat proficient in martial warfare. I think that makes the most sense.

I also think the project should be somewhat inspired by R.A. Salvatore's method of implementing d&d - especially in Canticle (about Cadderly). Salvatore's genious IMHO is that he makes the universe somewhat low-magic, and that the character classes arent very distinctly pronounced, so you arent a "Cleric that can only use this and that item, and I have to prepare this and that spell in my spellbook", but it is more complex and nuanced, but still very much recongizable as d&d.

This makes the universe easier to get immersed into, and is a good way to implement game features when you have a lot more detailed information about character interaction and conduct.

(I know this is all unrealistic, but very fun to discuss!)
    edited March 2014
    I deliberately avoided trying to cast a Charname because that would probably be one of the lengthiest discussions. :-p Just like in the games, there's waaay much more freedom to guide Charname's actions and personality.

I agree with a human, or maybe half-elf. Those are most relatable, and plausible age-wise. While halfling could work, we don't want to create another LotR. At least some martial aptitude, yes, and not "stupid", he lives in a well-guarded library after all. As for his actual class, I think especially in Charname's case that it might work better if left ambiguous. Give him a sword and some elven chainmail, he'll eventually get "magic powers" (Bhaal-powers) anyway, and you have a hero that's relatable to more people.

I also totally agree that this could be applied to a lesser extent to NPCs to make the movie/series more immersable for people who don't know the games. Ideally there shouldn't be any need to call them by their class, it should be obvious through acting and situations and maybe the occasional insult ("where's your god now, priest?"). Imoen and Alora are sneaky but good-natured so they must be a "thief" (I still like the term rogue better), Rasaad doesn't wear armor and fights with his bare hands so he must be a "karate guy" etc. Through Neera's plotline we do of course see specific wild mages and red wizards, but that adds to backstory. Naturally the spellcasting and -preperation should be adapted so that it looks good on-screen.

Concerning magic, I think there should be a definite 'presence'. I'm not sure how you see "low-magic" @Aristillius (haven't read Canticle yet, only a few Drizzt novels) but we have a number of major characters and potential party members that could become powerful mages, or already are. There should be more magic than Game of Thrones for example.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited March 2014
    @Sjerrie‌ Yeah, I guess GameofThrones has become the new norm in terms of low magic, so that description might have been a bit imprecise - I definately agree that magic should play an important role, it just shouldnt be overplayed or made very shiny... Im struggling to formulate my point :p Again, I think Salvatore does this well. Obviously, wizard NPCs should use magic but I guess Im just afraid of a video-game feel rather than a immersive real-life feel.

Hm, I think maybe Gandalfs fight with Sauron in the Hobbit 2 might be a good example of good magic implementation? They should definately have the d&d spells though!
    edited March 2014
    The nice thing about the movie is that your character won't have to be restricted by class and ruleset.

I'd personally like to see him as some sort of warrior, but also have access to certain magical abilities. They could be put in as additional Bhaalspawn powers.

He could get like one at a time, that would baffle the wizards and clerics. They could be a little confused as to why this comes so easy to him.

It doesn't have to be crazy, but maybe be like a draw upon holy mite, a burning hands to use in conjunction with his melee weapon and maybe a healing ability.
    Okay, so in the Booinyoureyes, @Aristillius‌ and @Sjerrie‌ version of the BG miniseries, we are now in episode three where Imoen helps CHARNAME escape undetected, and they are on the run, eventually found and have to defend themselves. Khalid and Jaheira come to the rescue. The remainder of the episode is building up to going to Nashkell and getting to know Khalid and Jaheira.

The problem with Baldur's Gate 1 is the lack of a recurring villain like Irenicus. It cannot be Sarevok, since he needs to be somewhat mysterious. So I'm thinking someone like Angelo is the guy who is sending all the assassins after CHARNAME. Also, we know from her "charmed dialogue" that Dynaheir is investigating an incident on the Sword Coast related to Bhaal. I thought of a fun way to play this into the storyline, and connect them to the overall plot (justifying their existence as canon-party members) while also adding Angelo

There is a post credit scene for the fans that shows a big Russian dude petting his small pet while guarding over a female magic user around a camp fire. His hamster squeaks out a warning, and Minsc says "What is it Boo? If evil is about, we must introduce it to the bootheel of justice!"
    Dynaheir "Quiet Minsc, I must sleep if we are to investigate these rumors. We are safe here."
    Minsc "But Boo is alert and always recognizes the putrid stench of villainy! We must heed his warnings"
    Dynaheir "*again with the rodent* Boo is tired and needs sleep. He is jumpy due to the turbulence in your pack when you chased after that squirrel. Get some rest"
    Minsc "Yes, wychlaran" He tucks his pet in his pack and turns to sleep.
    You see him close his eyes, then you hear a slight rustle, like a bush. He opens his eyes and the scene cuts to a gnoll raising a club over his head, bringing it down on the camera.
    Black screen

Cut to a clearing where a roguish warrior hands a bag of gold to a gnoll leader
    "Here is your reward. The witch is yours to do with as you please, just make sure she cannot interfere with my activities"
    The gnoll captain nods "But big one escape when mouse distract"
    "No matter. The delusional berserker is too addled to be any danger to us. Without his witch to guide him, he is as like a lost child in the woods. Hunt him if you wish"
    Angelo then turns into his encampment, sitting down next to a cloaked wizard.
    "Semaj, get the boss on the line"
    In the campfire, an image of the dark armored figure with a Kara-turan woman on his lap appears.
    "Master, we have taken care of the witch. Tazok and Mulahey are in place, and our agents will have Gorion's Ward soon. Everything is going according to your plan. It is only a matter of time"
    Through the shadows you make out a grin on the armored figures dark face.

Black screen: To be continued