Skip to content

If They Made a Baldur's Gate Movie: Redux, The Definitive Casting

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Tazok would be a better recurring villian, IMHO. He comes with a personal enemy easier to stomach (Kivan) compared to Angelo's man hating daughter which might not be very appropriate for the party... unless she gets either a huge redemption arc or even a romance subplot akin to that from that one mod.

Tazok is also shown to be more vicious and is sooner to introduce. Plus being a bulking mass of ogre muscle mixed with actual intelligence could make him genuinely scary.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Dazzu‌
    Tazok is awesome, but that would require Kivan to be a main character.
    Well... not really. Kivan could help them out and then get killed off, which would be a fitting end to his character. He can go to the afterlife and chill with his Deharrianna.

He'd work as well, but I guess I like Angelo since he is a human and will interact with the party more in the city of Baldur's Gate. I see Tazok getting killed off in the Bandit Camp, rather than being in the final showdown.
    But Angelo requires Shar-Teel to give his character some bigger backstory.
    Dazzu said:

But Angelo requires Shar-Teel to give his character some bigger backstory.

If I was in charge, Shar-Teel would not be a major character. Maybe just as a piece that Sarevok is holding over Angelo's head to "inspire loyalty" so to speak.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,236
    edited March 2014
    Nice post-credit scene @booinyoureyes!

Unfortunately I have not much to add about Shar-Teel yet, I will take her in my current party but that would be the first time. Angelo's involvement "feels right" though, and it might be a little hard to have Tazok coordinate resistance to Charname in a big city. I also see Tazok dying by Kivan's hand after they singled eachother out maybe during that skirmish and we could have Kivan dying from his wounds afterward (if we're not gonna use him).

"TAZOK!! I have a bone to pick with you!!"

or

"My name is Kivan of Shilmista. You killed my lover. Prepare to die." :p

@Aristillius Good one. Also a reminder that I need to watch that again since I had to look it up on youtube. :) What might be interesting is to differentiate casting styles more visually (by that I don't mean flashier). For example, Xzar as a necromancer should have a visually different style of casting then Dynaheir the invoker.
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    I see fight in Bandit Camp as end of an episode, Kivan dies, asks Charname to not try to bring him back because yay Deheriana, Tazok dies, party leaves... and then some voice casts a spell - Tazok opens his eyes. End.
    And scratch what I wrote earlier, cast Lucy Liu as Ellesime. She looks very much elvish, and giving her bright contacts would make her look almost otherworldly.
    Remember kids, that's why daddy always prepares disintegrate. :)

Intriguing idea though @iuventas. Also, Lucy Liu as Ellessime might work...

I'm still stuck on casting Xzar and Monty. :( All I could think of was maybe Aaron Paul or Kevin McNally (mr. Gibbs) as Monty... meh... :/
    Hmmm Woody Harrelson as Xzar...
    Whose permission is needed for this to come to life? Wizards? Beamdog? Why has it taken so long for this to come to life?
    @Dazzu probably a combination of both. I don't know where the rights to Baldur's Gate actually lie, but it's set in the Forgotten Realms, and any movie would need that background to make it authentic. The rights to the Forgotten Realms are probably with Wizards.

As for why it is taking so long, we here are only just thinking out loud (for now...) ;)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    Dazzu said:

Whose permission is needed for this to come to life? Wizards? Beamdog? Why has it taken so long for this to come to life?

Wizards. As with any movie, to make this one you'd need, well, money. This comes via either a producer, who either works for or will sell it to a studio, who will assign a director after picking a script. Then they'd hire a casting agency, who would share the responsibility for picking the actors with everyone else, except the writer, who would likely be barred from the set.
    In the unlikely event an independent crew could afford the licensing fee, you'd need a camera operator, a director, a sound guy/girl, and a screenwriter, (who would again, be barred from the set). Between the four of them, they'd cast the thing, likely using largely unknown actors.
    *Shameless self-promotion follows*
    On a related note, I'm willing to play any part - I even have a Baldurized headshot available :D
    Edit: I'd work for "free" - I just need a daily stipend of 3 pots of coffee and a sandwich.
    Post edited by jackjack on
    edited April 2014
    @jackjack I'd play a dead body in Irenicus' dungeon if that's what it would take to be in the movie. :p

Edit: I could do Rielev
    Hmmm @Sjerrie as [Spoiler]Khalid in the sequel?[/Spoiler]
    @jackjack while I'd love to do that (!),
    supposedly he's in such a bad state that he can't be raised but is still recognizable. That latter bit could be 'fixed' by having a trademark tunic that Jaheira recognizes,
    OR: an obvious personal item that falls to the ground in slow-motion as Charname examines the body...
    I'll play Boo!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I'll play Imoen! No one will notice the change!
    I like Chris Pine as Ajantis.
    I still stick by my Rufus Sewell pick for Keldorn, but he would have to put on some muscle.

Okay.... this is gonna sound TOTALLY NUTTY but... just give it a fair chance okay?

How bouts...
    Matthew McConaughey as an alternative Keldorn???????

alright alright all righteous!
    Keldorn: "I get older, they just stay the same age."
    edited April 2014
    That would be a hilarious remark if he was commenting on his daughters with a straight face. deadpan delivery.
    The reason I like the idea is that he is about the right age. He is also a bigger guy, and has the physique for the role. He has pretty good range, as shown in his more recent films. He can be surprisingly badass in a totally campy, hilariously over the top way (anyone seen Reign of Fire?????). Most of all, I'd just love to see him take on this kind of role now that he's stretched his wings as an actor and started to take on different parts than he used to. He's got talent, the guy.
    Oh a proper deadpan delivery is a must.
    "ah, my home. Long has it been since I have seen my Maria. Come CHARNAME, let me introduce you to my family.

Ah. My daughters. You know what I love about my children, CHARNAME? I get older, they stay the same age."
    Jan murmurs in the background "alright alright alright"

The reason I like the idea is that he is about the right age.

Like it or not, this is a huge factor in casting. As much as I'd love Gary Oldman as Xan, (seriously, he'd NAIL it), he's currently much more suited to play Gorion.

He's got talent, the guy.

I refuse to argue with this - McConaughey is a hard-working, talented dude, and the movie would be lucky to feature him.
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    How about Mads Mikkelsen as Xzar? I'm sure he'd pull off a perfect performance, think Hannibal with a touch of Svend from "De grønne slagtere"...
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    Shouldn't this be in the fan creations section now? :P
    iuventas said:

How about Mads Mikkelsen as Xzar? I'm sure he'd pull off a perfect performance, think Hannibal with a touch of Svend from "De grønne slagtere"...

I like that idea. When I woke up I also thought of maybe Steve Buscemi as Xzar. (Whew, that was a scary sentence to write...)

@TethorilofLathander sofar it's only ideas and dreams I think. :p
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    I'd love Sir Anthony Hopkins' voice as Irenicus.