Skip to content

If They Made a Baldur's Gate Movie: Redux, The Definitive Casting

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Similarly the "d" in Greek and in Ancient Greek is actually pronounced like the "th" in "the" or "than" (NOT as in "math" or "wreath")

In the Simlarillion, Tolkien represents this sound with a "dh" which is why you will see many characters with that odd sequence of letters in their names.

So names like Odysseus would be pronounced "Oh-thee-se-as" and Poseidon as "Poh-See-Thon-as"
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I actually had a translation of the Illiad that used all the original names rather than the conventional English renditions of them. My 17-year-old self found it very confusing.

I actually didn't realise that chi was pronounced like the hard Arabic h (which is also usually rendered as 'ch' or 'kh', like in the name of the famous Iranian Ayatollah.) In more academic texts its sometimes written just as an 'h' but with a dot underneath.
    Yes the chi is similar to the way the the "kh" would be pronounced in Farsi or Arabic, like in Khamenei.

Its funny because in this case they simplify it for English speakers, but in others the English language seems to make it more complicated (this is especially apparent in medical school). Like the letter "psi". For example Psoriasis is pronounced as soh-rye-ah-sus in English... but then I'm like "why did they even add the "p"?"
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    English is a weird-ass cobbled-together language in general. Its grammatical rules apply to probably half the actual language at best, with everything else being some variety of exception. The actual base language is comprised of French, Latin, Norse and an Anglo-Saxon/Germanic dialect. We borrowed heavily from Greek in medical and scientific disciplines, and the spread of the empire meant we ended up with a large number of Hindi or Urdu words (cot and bottle, to name two very common ones). Today we also have odd bits of horrendously mispronounced Japanese like 'Karaoke', which for some reason we say 'Carry-Oakee' for no discernible reason.
    Yeah, which is why English is such a difficult language to learn properly. So many exceptions to the rules. Then when you work in the sciences they throw words at you that are completely unrelated to the colloquial language. There is a big movement to move scientific jargon away from Greek and Latin and from eponymy, which I think would be a very good thing and make scientific study more accessible and understandable to the masses (and much easier for students!)

Also this has nothing to do with a Baldur's Gate movie and I apologize for derailing the thread for my own pet topics :D
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    So theoretically, if one WERE to write scripts for this saga, who would they present it to or how would they get approval? Who has the copyright claims? Just curious... clearly I haven't been planning this script for months, nope!
    Dazzu said:

So theoretically, if one WERE to write scripts for this saga, who would they present it to or how would they get approval? Who has the copyright claims? Just curious... clearly I haven't been planning this script for months, nope!

Volothamp Geddarm, duh!

You can find him at the Belching Dragon Tavern in Nashville, but if you miss him there you can catch him in this tavern in Saradush, but I wouldn't recommend visiting there any time soon. :p
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @booinyoureyes those language things you've mentioned, it is much like spanish, and I know how it feels hearing to other people say things wrong, it is awfully funny in some a way.
    CrevsDaak said:

@booinyoureyes those language things you've mentioned, it is much like spanish, and I know how it feels hearing to other people say things wrong, it is awfully funny in some a way.

It is amusing, but I actually feel bad about it sometimes. Having scientific terms named after the Greek has helped me in school, but I know many of my friends who struggle with it because they don't speak Greek. I'd like to see much medical and scientific jargon move away from using other languages and naming discoveries after people in favor of using more descriptive language that is easier for all learners to understand.
    But on a serious note, how would a studio go to to get the movie script approved by copyright?
    Iono. Maybe call Bioware customer service? (that sounds silly but its probably the best we can do)

I guess you really DO need an agent in Hollywood.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I think I'd prefer a BG tv series as opposed to a movie. It would be a good way to incorporate the many side quests and npcs available. You could have a main crew (Abdel =p, Imoen, etc.) who gather their party and venture forth with any and every npc that the games have to offer.

Dunno about casting. Probably would prefer a cast of unknowns so that way I'm not associating them with this and that.
    Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but after watching The Fifth Estate, I think that Benedict Cumberbatch would make a very nice Xan. He has the looks in that movie, and the voice he does (pretty good imitation of Assange) is the perfect tone (minus the accent, of course)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but after watching The Fifth Estate, I think that Benedict Cumberbatch would make a very nice Xan. He has the looks in that movie, and the voice he does (pretty good imitation of Assange) is the perfect tone (minus the accent, of course)

*imagines the voice of Smaug wailing "We're all dooooomed!" as he charges into battle with a moonblade*

Okay. This has to be canon now. I see no other option.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    I had dreams about this last night and I need to throw them on the 'net. Forgive me. *Waves rod of resurrection*

Liam Neeson as Keldorn, Marc Strong as Irenicus. Vin Diesel as Sarevok would be awesome, but he's a bit.. short... maybe. Built, but short. He *is* also a producer/director/screenwriter though, so he may also want to be involved in some other way. Sean Connery as Elminster in a cameo/prologue maybe? Or better yet, Ed Greenwood himself!

Somehow I'm seeing Dustin Hoffman or Mike Myers as Jan Jansen.

Felicia Day might be a good fit for Neera. Chloe Moretz might be a good Imoen, though I feel she may be a bit too young right now. Ellen Page or Karen Gillan as Alora? Or Jennifer Lawrence? Trick shots needed of course, especially with Karen Gillan... Dem legs... Here I must note though that I've never used Alora much...

Instead of having Jason Isaacs as Irenicus, anyone else think he might be a good Xan? Or Elhan?

Rinko Kikuchi as Tamoko. Dara O'Briain as Winthrop. James Cosmo as Yeslick.

There are a few I really want to place, but can't think of someone. Korgan, Montaron, Haer-Dalis, Ellessime...

Phew, that was my brain-diarrhea. I'll leave you with this thought: Jack Gleeson as Neb. Think about it.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    I think Kevin Sorbo Would make a good MInsk. Maybe Shaq has Sarevok.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Sorry boo, but I just watched Star Trek: into darkness last night, (cumberbacht is Kahn) and I'm a big fan of Sherlock, and I can't see him as xan. Cumberbacht plays psychopaths. Xan is no psychopath. I will concede that he does look like xan.
    edited March 2014
    @meagloth‌
    eh, I'm not so sure
    1. He's played a psychopath or two, but that *definitely* does not mean it is all he can do. That would be like watching Death to Smoochy then saying all Edward Norton can do is portray children's television hosts!
    2. If you see his performance in The Fifth Estate you might changer your mind
    3. I really don't think Xan would be all that demanding a role for an actor with decent skill at playing drawling depressed people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMCSsw4_W8M
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    Let's make Cumberbatch play Firkraag!

I definitely can get behind Tom Hiddleston as one of the fair folk (Coran? Kivan? Cumberbatch as Xan would be excellent). While I see how Kikuchi is a much better choice for Tamoko, I can't shake off the feeling that everyone should just be played by Lucy Liu. Everyone.

PS in Polish voiceover it's Dynaheir who has an Eastern European accent so thick you could almost cut things with it, not Minsc.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @booinyoureyes‌ nope, sorry, I like Sherlock to much. Though he could be daveorn maybe. Or xzar. That would be hilarious.
    edited March 2014
    @iuventas Lucy Liu, great actress, but I'm not sure she's the one for Tamoko. She's also a little too old maybe (no offense Miss Liu..). Cumberbatch has already played a dragon, let's not typecast him ;) there's got to be something in BG for him though. Dare I say it... Kivan? Maybe not...

Tom Hiddleston gets me thinking... Solaufein? Saemon has "Loki" written all over him, but that would again be typecasting...

@Frosty Kevin Sorbo! Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot, but Minsc may take a different kind of actor... But now that I think about it, wouldn't he be a great Cernd? I think he's got the looks, and he might even bring some love to the druid who's been overlooked so long.

While I'd prefer him in a good guy role (or at least not evil), Dwayne Johnson as Desharik?

Edit: Benedict Cumberbatch as Tiax? lol
  • Viconia_DeVirViconia_DeVir Member Posts: 80
    Should any consult me for my opinion on casting, and since mine will inevitably be the most pivotal role in such a production, I will insist on being played by Melinda Clarke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnoQzc5uSVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujAJEBO6adE

@Viconia_DeVir Melinda Clarke it is! I'll probably not have any say in the matter but yeah...
    edited March 2014
    Anyone watched the newer Battlestar Galactica?

How about the guy who played Baltar as Xan?

He is a decent enough actor (in neurotic parts at least) and he looks the part for sure:
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    marceror said:

mforww said:

XerxesV said:

"You'd. Be a fool to think I'd trust you. Now. Step aside. Or I'll stab your lackeys in the face with a soldering iron."

Oh. My. God. That would be perfect. I literally laughed out loud hahaha

How about an athlete-attempts-to-act scenario with Kobe Bryant as Valygar?

Yeah, because clearly Christopher Walken and Kobe Bryant would just jump at the chance to star in a movie fashioned after an aging computer game. And if there's any doubt as to the eventual quality, they can just watch the 2 Dungeons and Dragons movies out there to be instantly assured. They're as good as hired! :P
    It may be interesting to note that Sir Alec Guinness originally thought Star Wars was a low budget B- Sci-fi movie, basically a paycheck. But he did it anyway, but with a clause guaranteeing he got killed off in the first movie. So it sometimes happens that big name stars do work on projects that appear to be crap.
    Indeed. And one of the mistakes I think with the earlier D&D movies was that they had to create a story first. Baldur's Gate already has that, and an enormously detailed world to have it in. IIRC the earlier movies didn't really have that either, just the usual dragons, wizards, elves and dwarves that nearly any fantasy movie has. One thing is for sure: they should NOT market it as a D&D-movie...
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Another thing, it would have to be something like a Kickstarter deal where the writers and producers were not shackled to the typical Hollywood formula. They wouldn't have to throw in the obligatory love interest, comic relief, minority and socially relevant sub-plot.

I'm not sure how BG the story would necessarily translate into a single track though. Basically, there wouldn't be any wandering off the beaten track "Just to explore". There would have to be a reason why they went to Durlag's tower other than the sheer adventure of it.

And they would have to invent reasons for each of the companions to join above and beyond what we see. For instance, upon entering Nashkal, there would have to be a scene where Minsc is drawn to or is noticed by the party such that they are forced together. Him just standing around, there's no real reason why people on the run from unknown assassins would go around asking random bald crazy men for work. Well, ok there might be, but I think any author would want to make it more tangible.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    So, should it mostly be the canon party? Other NPCs step in from time to time? Im unsure... Would for instance make lots of room for Oldman as Edwin.. Or Cumberbact as Xan
    I just gotta say... writing screenplays is hard.

I mean it's fun to delve into developing characters and all (fun fact, I'm fleshing out Ulraunt to have his douchebag attitude be more of a ruse to hide his deathly fear of a living breathing prophecy of death.)

I mean, I don't even know if this script I write will even ever get an okay from whoever I'd need to get permission from.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Anyone watched the newer Battlestar Galactica?

How about the guy who played Baltar as Xan?

He is a decent enough actor (in neurotic parts at least) and he looks the part for sure:

Hmmm... Crazy, handsome, and just depressing enough to work. I kinda like it. :)
    Dazzu said:

I just gotta say... writing screenplays is hard.

I mean it's fun to delve into developing characters and all (fun fact, I'm fleshing out Ulraunt to have his douchebag attitude be more of a ruse to hide his deathly fear of a living breathing prophecy of death.)

I mean, I don't even know if this script I write will even ever get an okay from whoever I'd need to get permission from.

Screenwriting is hard. But so long as you work at it, you will get better. Don't even worry if it'll get approved by somebody; at the very least, you'll definitely have learned a thing or two by the end. As they say, practice makes perfect, and the journey's half the fun! :)