Skip to content

If They Made a Baldur's Gate Movie: Redux, The Definitive Casting

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited April 2016
    Natalie Dormer as Caelar Argent

I don't mean to go too much into the Game of Thrones cast, but she is the only person I could think of.

Dominique Tipper as Dynaheir

Minus her horrible hairdo. Good actress, looks the part. Hard to keep up the accent here.

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Also, I think I've found my preferred actor for Gorion's Ward. I watched The Expanse a couple weeks back and really enjoyed the protagonist's performance.

Steven Strait as the protagonist

Only possible issue might be that he is already 30

Huh, the dude look like 21?
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Gotta add that after seeing her on Elementary, I'd support Natalie Dormer for Viconia too. The woman most definitely knows how to do 'dignified flirty villainess'.
    I change my mind. I don't know what I was thinking!

Lupita Nyong'o as Dynaheir

Moczo said:

Gotta add that after seeing her on Elementary, I'd support Natalie Dormer for Viconia too. The woman most definitely knows how to do 'dignified flirty villainess'.

I prefer Nathalie Emmanuel from Game of Thrones (again, sorry).

With longer, straightened hair she would look the part. She's a good actress in the two roles I've seen her in.

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950

Only possible issue might be that he is already 30

So was the entire cast of Grease, if not older. Makeup can do magical things.

@Dazzu So, was this your stealthy way of suggesting a Baldur's Gate musical performed by the cast of Grease? Because I would actually pay to see that.
    Dazzu said:

Moczo said:

@Dazzu So, was this your stealthy way of suggesting a Baldur's Gate musical performed by the cast of Grease? Because I would actually pay to see that.

No... but if you want musical characters, with a little makeup, Neil Patrick Harris is the only worthy Garrick on earth.
    ... I think this is the first time that anyone anywhere has suggested something that makes me interested in Garrick.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    Man ive been excited for bg movies but at the same time worried. The main actors like gorion,irenicus and sarevok would need to be just as amazing as the voice actors made them to be. I think this would be the hard part, finding an actor that suits the characters appearance as well as the amazing voice acting that's already been put out.

What I really want is to see the gorion ambush and various other gorion huge spellcasting moments put into live/movies. I personally think a show series would do more justice because really without the backstory/information a movie with this theme might end up being like the movie "the One" where its just charname ( if at all) killing all the other bhaalspawn with more action than anything. They may do a better job with a gorion/your mother/spawn of bhaal movie I think. Or just avoid it and try another DnD movie type thing but related.

Either way they make it with gorion and cast someone who knows what gorions about and has the voice id be so giddy and happy to see it anyways.

If done wrong I can see a butchering of it just like what happened with resident evil games to movies (before RE#4 where zombies aren't even zombies anymore and its all about fast paced action).
    edited April 2016
    Also that annoying kid has nothing on Saemon because the voice. But then again I haven't seen any GoT shows and stuff lol.

I personally would rather see new blood for these types of roles because honestly the "main" actors for things are just too....hmm whats the word....everywhere? Im probably not wording that right...
    Like Neesons for gorion seems a good fit but I don't know about the voice to be honest.

Cameos are cool though but I just wouldn't want a main actor to be vin diesel or something. I personally wonder how much talent these huge companies miss by casting the same actors all the time. But that's neither here nor there lol.
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    Can we find a way to cast a Wayans brother, since that was the only thing I remember about the first movie?...nm, get Jeremy Irons too. Maybe Damon Wayans as Minsc?
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    @marzbar I agree to an extent about Vin Diesel. Under a huge beard or heavy make-up (demon, Dorn, dwarf) it might still work.
    Honestly, wouldn't make a bad Korgan

Sirdent said:

Can we find a way to cast a Wayans brother, since that was the only thing I remember about the first movie?...nm, get Jeremy Irons too. Maybe Damon Wayans as Minsc?

@Sirdent has cast "Summon Monster" I see... those movies should be spoken of with care. IMHO Jeremy Irons was the only good thing about them, and even his performance might have been a little over-the-top. Thora Birch (The Empress) even said he was so intense.

On that note, a Baldur's Gate movie should definitely NOT be marketed as a Dungeons & Dragons film, if the legalities allow it. I was thinking something more like:

Baldur's Gate

A Forgotten Realms film
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    Now I want to start trying to think of this movie made by different production companies, like a Wayans brothers production, or Baldur's Gate: A Spike Lee Joint, or WWE Films presents Baldur's Gate
    Sirdent said:

Baldur's Gate: A Spike Lee Joint

Would make for an interesting portrayal of the Flaming Fist for sure
    I actually like the DnD movie for some reason (only the first one). I think its mostly for nostalgia and the cheesy Bruce (bald guy's) acting. IIII AM DAMODAR! Hahaha.... Marlon Wayans made a funny thief too lol.
    But I remember being a kid and loving that movie, back before I knew about acting and how DnD/the movie coulda/shoulda been better.
    edited April 2016
    @booinyoureyes Taron Egerton looks so... young... Almost like that fluff on his chin is all he was able to grow. While Anomen is of course nowhere near the veteran Keldorn is, he does seem a little older than a raw recruit... Maybe he could be Montaron?

I was actually thinking Daisy Ridley might nice as Alora...

Colin Firth: YES. May also be a good Xan.

Edit: Now I remember the connection between Firth and Egerton. xD
    edited April 2016
    Sjerrie said:

Edit: Now I remember the connection between Firth and Egerton. xD

OMG! I didn't even think of that actually! Would make a fitting Keldorn-Anomen partnership, though. I loved Kingsman.

Anomen hasn't been knighted yet, so I assume he is younger. Considering we wouldn't meet him for multiple seasons/movies, maybe he'd even age a bit.
    edited April 2016
    Looking back at those last two pictures.... if Taron Egerton and Daisy Ridley had a son, he'd have the worlds strongest jawline.
    Sjerrie said:

@booinyoureyes Taron Egerton... Maybe he could be Montaron?

MonTaron Egerton!

Looking back at those last two pictures.... if Taron Egerton and Daisy Ridley had a son, he'd have the worlds strongest jawline.

Sjerrie said:

@booinyoureyes Taron Egerton... Maybe he could be Montaron?

MonTaron Egerton!
    See? He's destined to be Monty! ;)
    edited April 2016
    That kinda works but if they do anything like that it would be more fitting for Keldorn/ajantis because ajantis IIRC was a squire in the same order. But problem is you get into one story/background you gotta keep adding so a show might be better if they ended up doing it right. Might also get people back into DnD and other stuff.
    DnD needs to go make a show or movie, but amazing one :D

But gotta be diff from GoT which I actually never watched yet lol. But still!!!!!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Hayden Christensen for Xzar. :p
    As posted in the meme thread...
    Sjerrie said:

...but wouldn't it be awesome if we got Brian to play that guy fo' real?
  • HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2016
    elminster said:

Hayden Christensen for Xzar. :p

I feel like Johnny Depp could pull off an excellent Xan.
    He can pull off the gaunt appearance.
    And several of his characters were excellent at moping. (Sweeney Todd comes to mind.)
    Post edited by Halfwise on
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    After watching "Trumbo" last night, I want to see Bryan Cranston as Edwin. He truly is a great actor.