Skip to content

ETA on BG2EE memory leak fix? (or first patch..)

KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
I crashed during a quicksave and everything "soft" reset.

I will not be starting another game until this memory leak is fixed.

There are some bugs that can be tolerable and even understandable but this one, is not.
Post edited by Khoryace on

Comments

• KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    Bumping this. Need an official answer asap :(
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Can't tell you anything official. I spent my whole weekend on this but couldn't even reproduce it once :(
    All i saw was some memory leak, but it didn't cause any corrupted saves.
    I think there would be more info in the end of monday. The bug definitely exists and high priority, so I'm pretty sure the fix will be in the first patch too.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Avenger_teambg C'mon man, the memory leaks should be fixed regardless of corrupted saves.

@Avenger_teambg C'mon man, the memory leaks should be fixed regardless of corrupted saves.

Of course, but i saw only what the task manager says, nothing specific.

Avenger. I would add that I alt tab a lot but always pause when doing so. I'm 100% sure that there are many ppl who could come and testify these littles behaviors that we're doing to help you.

I noticed that a majority reporting this issue is using Win 7 64 as I do.
    Is there any possibilities of GPU (Driver) Options may cause this issue? Or are memory leaks specifically for the RAMS?
    edited November 2013

All i saw was some memory leak, but it didn't cause any corrupted saves.

What makes corrupted save is when you happen to Quick save when the Memory Usage IS climbing up and soon to crash. It seems to only corrupt if you are in the very about moments to crash and it does make sense. Why would it crash if everything was working properly? I noticed like many some huge framerate drops just before the crashes usually and I would quicksave to make sure not to lose anything and see what happened....

There is no corruption problems per say. The main problems is the memory leaking which leads to others problems.

I have WinXP, but another dev here tried to repro it on Win 7. The slowdowns before the crash indeed could be caused by memory outage. To be honest this very same symptom happens with a lot of games i played on Steam. This reminds me: is it the BeamDog or the Steam version?
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    Playing beamdog version on Win7 and the game will slow down and crash if I don't manually turn it off and restart it every so often.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    My friend encountered this issue on the BeamDog version, assuming y'all are talking about that issue where the entire game kinda resets itself and everything completed becomes undone.

I have WinXP, but another dev here tried to repro it on Win 7. The slowdowns before the crash indeed could be caused by memory outage. To be honest this very same symptom happens with a lot of games i played on Steam. This reminds me: is it the BeamDog or the Steam version?

Beamdog version, sir!
    Akihiko said:

My friend encountered this issue on the BeamDog version, assuming y'all are talking about that issue where the entire game kinda resets itself and everything completed becomes undone.

Absolutely. Saving when the game is ABOUT to crash causes this.

• AmardarialAmardarial Member Posts: 270
    I get this every so often as well. Win7, Beamdog version.
    @Avenger_teambg I have experienced memory issues too, especially when alt-tabbing. A few crashes and a bug where the Copper Coronet soothing music would loop even after the game chrashed. Actually, it's still running, lol. Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, Beamdog version of the game.
    Ok, so everyone so far had a beamdog version. Steam anyone?
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Oh, and my friend is also running on Win7 64, in case that's relevant.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    This happens to me on the Beamdog version, but only crashes about a quarter of the time that the memory leak peeks.
  • HassonHasson Member Posts: 12
    yea i got it too (beamdog version). got it in firkragg's dungeon then continued after the crash now all my saved games are bucked sideways lool
    Bump. Don't leave us, Avenger! We've been providing very specifics in this thread !!!
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Haven't seen this problem. I'm Win 8 64 bit and have 16 GB of RAM in my system. Running the Beamdog version. Sharing in case knowing where it isn't occurring proves helpful.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    This has happened to me :
    The game will suddenly get pretty laggy, and crash. I can then reload the previous save just fine (never tried to save when the game was laggy due to fear of having that "crash while saving" bug that f*cks up your game :)

I'm on Win 7 / 64 bits, using Beamdog version.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Also using Win 7 64-bit version, 8 gigs of DDR3 ram, i5 processor and I don't experience these issues.

I do, however, not need to alt + tab much since I have 4 other machines running simultaneously and have my keyboard and mouse outputting to all of them over my home network.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Aranthys said:

This has happened to me :
    The game will suddenly get pretty laggy, and crash. I can then reload the previous save just fine (never tried to save when the game was laggy due to fear of having that "crash while saving" bug that f*cks up your game :)

I'm on Win 7 / 64 bits, using Beamdog version.

This is exactly how it happens to me as well. Also Win 7, Beamdog standalone installer.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2013
    I had this issue quite abit during the Neera, Red Wizard part of the quest.
    I had to spread my people out to ensure the rooms wouldn't reset when I would quick-save. That seemed to work, after I did that, I didn't get anymore soft resets.
    Had to do the first part of it 3 or 4 times before I figured that out.

Win 7, 64bit.
  • HassonHasson Member Posts: 12
    just found out cause it crashed there for me again leaving irenicus' dungeon. but what happen was that i walked away from the computer not bothering to do anything and the game restarted itself when i came back. hope that this is would be helpful :)...... might be ghosts!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I've seen several threads on the Steam forums that describe this problem. It's not exclusive to Beamdog.
  • MalbanMalban Member Posts: 25
    BeamDog version, Win 7 64 bit. I've had crashes to desktop ~3 times. No noticeable lag before or after the crash.

I alt-tab a lot, and crashes have happened after maximizing the game and when doing inventory management (moving items around) and switching between menus (inventory, character, journal) using the mouse.

Hope this helps! Not a huge deal for me personally tbh (I have a thorough redundant save system), I really appreciate all the work you've all put in.

Cheers
    I made a conscious effort to not alt-tab when I played earlier today and experienced no issues that time.
    Exactly. I've been playing without alt tabbing WITHOUT pausing and it seems it helped a lot.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I cannot play without pausing :(