Skip to content

ETA on BG2EE memory leak fix? (or first patch..)

Comments

• KhoryaceKhoryace Member Posts: 79
    edited November 2013
    Is there a way to point beamdog client a specific install location :(? It wants to redownload it lol

Downlaoding it again anyhow.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Messi
    Okay, you're all set.

Has anyone had a chance to try it out yet? I realize it's the middle of the day for most of you, but if anyone's installed it I'm interested to hear how it's going for you.
    I should have news by tonight, Dee. I will try heavy testing by doing huge movement in the map then alt tabbing to try to reproduce it like it happened.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Thanks @Dee! Does this also fix the enemies disappearing when loading a save bug?
    I believe so, although for the moment just focus on the memory leak.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    @Dee
    Allright, I'll give the fix a test.
    @Sceptenar
    Alright, you're good.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Downloading it now at several MB/s. Should be ready in a few minutes.
    Messi said:

Thanks @Dee! Does this also fix the enemies disappearing when loading a save bug?

If its an enemy scripted to be "Running off and disappear" it will probably already be disappeared in your quick save loading. What enemies are you speaking of?
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    edited November 2013
    This. Anyway only 30 mins with this build, but already noticed several fixed bugs. Multiclass class name display fixed, Dragomir doesn't move around the dungeon if you rest there, and most importantly the enemies disappearing is fixed too! Haven't of course crashed either, but 30 mins is bit too little to draw any conclusions about that. :)
    No problems yet. Though I've noticed the quickbar buttons have been recolored to make it easier to see what can be clicked and what can't. That'll definitely make life easier.
    Been ordering my party to move all across the Docks (Figured I crashed a lot there) without pausing and tabbing right after the order is given. been doing it 4-5 times now over 30 mins and memory usage is stable around 125-127k
  • hurin_thalionhurin_thalion Member Posts: 6
    @Dee

I would like to get into this beta if possible.
    @hurin_thalion
    Alright, you're set up.
  • hurin_thalionhurin_thalion Member Posts: 6
    Thank you!
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    @hurin_thalion is the friend that is graciously allowing me to play on his account until I have money, so I'll post a report soon as well.
    The sad news is afterall there is still a minor leak going on. Been running it for almost an hour now and it's gone to 131k. I'm not even doing anything else than browsing internet. Started at 125k. 1 hour later 130k. let's see if this will get exponential if not, this seems to be a very minor leak. Gonnna leave it for another hour and see.
    @Khoryace For me on the normal client after about an hour playing my memory usage jumps to 200-300k, so that still seems like an improvement to me thankfully.
    edited November 2013
    Mine has jumped to 290k. I was messing around with Yoshimo in Irenicus' dungeon with the KillSword. I was trying to have him disarm the fireball wand trap manually. It would always shoot one off every time I tried to, so after hitting F5+click on it like 20 times, I moved on.

Once I got out of the dungeon and watched Irenicus fling spells at the Cowled Wizards, the memory usage got to 300k. Perhaps spells or visual effects from them are what is causing the memory leak!

*EDIT*: Oh it's definitely from spell visual effects. My memory usage increased to 311k when I went inside the adventure mart and spawned the Godbow. It throws confetti when equipped or switched to and it is probably to blame to this current jump to 311k.

To test this out again I casted my Bhaal powers and the memory usage increased to 313k.
    Flashy spell effects are going to increase the memory usage, so that makes sense. Does it stay at 300k, or does it go back down?
    I tested the theory by throwing some random spells in a building (such as cloudkill, fireball, skull trap, heal spells, and such) and my memory usage increased by about 10k. Not as significant as @Flashburn but it doesn't seem to be going down. I'll keep checking.
    edited November 2013
    It was holding steady at 300k and wasn't going back down.

I exited the game and reloaded the autosave before Irenicus goes on a spelling spree. The baseline was 110k, and after he had finished and I had been inside the adventure mart for 5 minutes or so it was 123k.

I tossed a handful of confetti in the air from the GodBow and waited until it dissipated. I went shopping with the money I got from it for 10 minutes. The memory usage increased to 131k.

With this evidence I'm not quite as certain as I was that it was spell VFX that were causing the memory leak, but I do think they contribute to it.

EDIT: Left the game alone for 10 minutes while alt-tabbed out of it and the memory has stayed at 131k.
  • raerae Member Posts: 35
    @Dee seem's pretty much fixed. Pre-beta I had more than 1GB usage, now after a couple of hours it's still about 128MB.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    @Dee I have experienced this issue and would like to have access to the Beta. I am already using the Beamdog Client so that should be easy to convert to the Beta.
    edited November 2013
    My memory usage keeps climbing. It's increased by about 30k since my last post. This is still a slower climb than pre-patch though. I'd be up to at least 200k by this point before, but I'm at 170k now. Still continuing to test.
    Another way to quickly increase the amount of memory usage is by equipping and unequipping something. Went from 131k to 141k by doing this and it hasn't gone down.

Unrelated bug: Arrows of Biting give you a STR/EX STR THAC0 modification to bows.
    @GemHound
    You're all set up now.
    @Flashburn
    Does it go up further if you equip/unequip it again?
    @Dee
    I meant to say that if I equip and unequip something over and over again, my memory usage climbs upward.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2013
    @Dee I am down for testing I guess. I do not know if I had the memory leak having not played long enough to really notice, but I did get a crash in black pits after a long session and it was slowing slightly before, I didn't save to cause the crash however. if that is a problem or not, I am sure I would love to see what else has been done to this point and test them out. Is there a changelog of sorts or somewhere to see what has been fixed so I could check them out?

edit: also, I need to download the client I would presume? I will just get to that just in case anyway, as I am using standalone right now