Skip to content

Sarevok Vs. Irenicus

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    If S needs an army he really didn't win the fight himself. In a one on one battle Irenicus would mop the floor with him (perhaps literally with doogles spell of continual moppage)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited August 2012
    Bjjorick said:

if it was who do i hate more, irenicus. Who would win in a fight? Sarevok, no question. BG2, ;you were predictable, and both of your reasons for getting captured, sarevok wouldn't have fallen for. S would unleash an army after Irenicus. S was VERY chrismatic if you'll remember, where was Irenicus was powerful, but trusted no one and isolated himself from them. S would win by sheer numbers and strategy.

Sarevok is level 15 in BG1 and Irenicus is level 29 in BG2, it's not even a contest. In terms of stats, Irenicus has higher CHA than Sarevok (17 vs 15). Irenicus also has 18 INT and WIS compared to Sarevok's 17 and 10 respectively, and Irenicus is centuries if not millenia old, so it's highly unlikely that Sarevok will be better in the strategy department. As for numbers, Irenicus could just create golems.

In a straight 1 on 1 fight Sarevok would have a good chance if he was on the same level as Irenicus, but not when he's BG1 level.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I didn't think of Sarevok magic resistance in the first game..

But still, if we take that Sarevok, then he don't have the 200 dmg attack. And with all those contengies that Irenicus posseses, he stand no change, even tho he's way more badass.

And those who talk about a fistfight, of course he would win, but why would Irenicus not use magic? Because he's in a bar? xS
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2012
    All I gotta say is Irenicus kept failing over and over. Lost his soul to elves, his underground lair to shadow thieves, lost his prisoners to faulty locks, lost a fight with the cowled wizards, lost his new lair spellhold to his former prisoners, lost his life trying to merge with a tree leaving himself vulnerable and lost his very soul, again, to CHARNAME. Not a very good track record.
    So it would not surprise me if he lost a barfight.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Worg that really makes me laugh, you make Irenicus sound like Frank Spencer.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    @Moomintroll, Irenicus wearing a beret?
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Why is no one understanding the phrase, "bar fight?"
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    marquis of fantailler rules?
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    edited August 2012
    With my avatar, I'm obliged to vote for The Exile.

I would add that Irenicus is not a villain, he is only misunderstood
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    In a bar brawl Sarevok as he is a trained fighter.

In an actual fight though Irenicus wins due to magic.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    If just a bar fight? Why don't someone make a quick creature edit to make the two creatures only use fist.. Case closed!
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    I have to go with Irenicus. He seems to have much more infrastructure and ally/henchman support. Plus, he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that frequents bars.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The man said bar fight.

What do elves do in bars (even former archmages)? Sip wine & listen to bards. What do deathbringers do in bars? I'll leave that to your imagination, but it ain't pretty.

Irenicus is pretty goddamn powerful but while he was searching for a witty reply to "Oy! Did you spill my pint?" he'd be shish-kebab'd.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Even IN a barfight, the contingency is probably set to 'hostile action' and will kick in before the sword attack lands. From there on, Irenicus has all the time in the world to kill Sarevok and all the patrons of the tavern, before burning the tavern to the ground and leaving a crater the size of Texas where it used to be.
  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    Irenicus. He's got the brains. Assuming he doesn't get drunk in the bar before the bar fight....
  • AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    I love Sarevok and all... but a Lvl 30+ Mage vs. a Lvl 15 Bhaalspawn Deathstalker...

I think Irenicus will prevail no matter what.

They may work together instead of fighting :)
  • irenicus1992irenicus1992 Member Posts: 12
    Bjjorick said:

if it was who do i hate more, irenicus. Who would win in a fight? Sarevok, no question. BG2, ;you were predictable, and both of your reasons for getting captured, sarevok wouldn't have fallen for. S would unleash an army after Irenicus. S was VERY chrismatic if you'll remember, where was Irenicus was powerful, but trusted no one and isolated himself from them. S would win by sheer numbers and strategy.

I think not. Number isn't everything. Good "death spell" or "banshee howl" or for example summoning creatures can help here. Irenicus rocks and can defeat Sarevok easily I think :D

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Why are people thinking about this from a "level 15 vs. level 30" point of view? Let's face it, game logic dictated their levels not lore.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Considering Irenicus is shown in the game to insta-cast a variety of spells (yes I realise that they are written into the game as such, but it is still a demonstration of his power) he could just cast shapechange, turn into a Mindflayer and defeat Sarevok handily.
  • lDanielHolmlDanielHolm Member Posts: 225
    This is a bar fight. Sarevok, being much stronger than Irenicus, would obviously win.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    This is a bar fight, who the hell uses spells? Granted, we are talking Jon here, so he'd likely cheat in a bar fight, but my money is still on Sarevok. Granted, with a wand of monst summoning, and some dimension doors I was able to take down Sarevok single handedly... but that's besides the point here. We're talking about bar fights, not epic duels to the death beneath the city of Baldur's Gate, or in hell or some such.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    You're perceptive for an old man. You know why I'm here. Hand over your ward and no one will be hurt. If you resist it shall be a waste of your life.
  • DecayOfSoulsDecayOfSouls Member Posts: 21
    Oh man, the results are narrowing.... I voted Irenicus just because of the amount of magic power that he has available to him. And look at those arms, those aren't no mage arms he's packing there....
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I don't see why a bar fight prohibits the use of magic. If I were a powerful elven mage sipping my wine and studying my spellbook in a bar and somebody threw at chair my way, why would I try and catch it and get ready for a round of fisticuffs instead of disintegrating it before ending the bar fight with 1-2 spells?
    If the rules of the bar fight are 'no spells allowed' then I also propose a new thread about who'd win in a Mage Duel.
  • SolyarisSolyaris Member Posts: 24
    Corvino said:

Why are people thinking about this from a "level 15 vs. level 30" point of view? Let's face it, game logic dictated their levels not lore.

Sarevok is far from one of the most talented fighters in the realms. Irenicus is one of the most powerful post-Netheril mages. The level argument stands; Irenicus has far more combat experience than Sarevok. If "hurr but sarevok has god blood" argument had any salt, CHARNAME would be invincible against all but other Bhaalspawn by that logic....

• AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    Corvino said:

Even if your PoW is true, I still think a sorcerer at that stature would defeat a fighter.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Solyaris said:

Corvino said:

If "hurr but sarevok has god blood" argument had any salt, CHARNAME would be invincible against all but other Bhaalspawn by that logic....

By the end of Throne of Bhaal, CHARNAME is practically a god. I think Sarevok could have taken a similar path if he was successful in Baldur's Gate.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited August 2012
    Corvino said:

Because in the world of D&D, every character has a level. It's not dictated by game logic, it just is. If Sarevok is a level 15 character, and Irenicus is a level 30 character, then that's what they are. That's not to say that Sarevok can't potentially reach level 30 if you didn't kill him, but at the time he was set at level 15 so that's that. Even if their levels were determined for the sake of game progression, it still doesn't change the fact that Sarevok is level 15 and Irenicus is level 30.
  • RushAndAPushRushAndAPush Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2012
    It's so difficult, I really can't decide.
  • BelisarBelisar Member Posts: 1
    If Sarevok reached Irenicus the same way like a CHARNAME, he would also be of a much higher level. So it could be easily a fight of two 30 level villains. Besides, if Sarevok has absolute magic resistance (not sure about it), then even a spell of Lower Resistance wouldn't have any effect on him thus making it impossible for Irenicus to harm him in any way and his spells do wear off sooner or later. Also the Deathbringer assault can take down several of Irenicus's resistances at ones i think. Irenicus and Sarevok are both more powerful then CHARNAME, only for the sake of the story it is the way it is. And like someone said before, Ironicus is not truly evil, just misunderstood and revengeful for the time being, while Sarevok is pure evil and aims to be a God. Evil is more powerful in its pure self. That's my view on it.