Comments

• HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    Winner vs. Melissan ?
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Sarevok hands down.
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2012
    Would make for an interesting fight.
    Sarevok has an extremely high resistance to magic (around 90%) which naturally would pose a significant threat to any mage, he chooses to charge his enemies head on and inflict lethal blows as taught from his deathbringer class "3% chance of 200 damage". His magic resistance alone would be awful for a mage to deal with, in fact many if not all stun/death/charm spells cast against him would be an automatic immunity block.

However, Irenicus does have the ability to cast protection/illusion based spells i.e Improved mantle,shadow door etc. This would be a long fight indeed :P

I think with levels excluded Sarevok might have the upper hand in this fight, but it's really hard to tell.

Post edited by kiros on
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    kiros said:

Would make for an interesting fight.
    Sarevok has an extremely high resistance to magic (around 90%) which naturally would pose a significant threat to a any mage, he chooses to charge his enemies head on and inflict lethal blows as taught from his deathbringer class "3% chance of 200% damage". His magic resistance alone would be awful for a mage to deal with, in fact many if not all stun/death/charm spells cast against him would be an automatic immunity block.

However, Irenicus does have the ability to cast protection/illusion based spells i.e Improved mantle,shadow door etc. This would be a long fight indeed :P

I think with levels excluded Sarevok might have the upper hand in this fight, but it's really hard to tell.

Any mage worth his salt knows how to deal with magic resistance. Some spells ignore magic resistance completely, for example the summon monster spells just summon creatures to fight for you, magic resistance does nothing to block their completely mundane attacks. That's how I killed Sarevok when I soloed BG1 as a mage and that was with a level 8 mage, Irenicus at level thirty would just laugh his pointy ears off... (kind of looks like he already did too...)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Mages can also bypass magic resistance by loading spell triggers with the spell "lower resistance". It's usually your opening volley when fighting dragons.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Wow a lot more Sarevok love than I would have expected.

Irenicus had a very large presence, I think a lot of that was David Warner's ability to make Irencus's casual indifference to life and death matters such a menacing emotion.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    I'm amazed that Irenicus isn't at 100%. Fight begins. Irenicus casts Time Stop. Sarevok will be lucky to get another round of combat in once Time Stop ends and all of the spells Irenicus casts come into play.
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    Anduine said:

I'm amazed that Irenicus isn't at 100%. Fight begins. Irenicus casts Time Stop. Sarevok will be lucky to get another round of combat in once Time Stop ends and all of the spells Irenicus casts come into play.

If Irenicus starts with time stop Sarevok wins easily. A spell with casting time 9 while no defenses are up is suicide.
    edited August 2012

Anduine said:

If Irenicus starts with time stop Sarevok wins easily. A spell with casting time 9 while no defenses are up is suicide.
    Why would you ever assume that no defenses would be up? I'm not talking about some level 2 Mage. I'm talking about Joneleth Irenicus, a villain so powerful that while he was practically defeated, he refused to go down and dragged your entire party down to hell with him.

He has contingency spells just like the typical liches do. He has instant spells. He has very high health, and if I recall, a significant resistance to spell interruption, as if he did not, once my Mage cast a few spells that removed his defenses, one arrow per round from my Fighter/Thief would make him utterly useless...which of course did not happen. Irenicus fought to his last breath.

Sarevok, however, did not provide too much of a challenge for me. His teammates + traps were more of a challenge than he was. I cannot say the same for Irenicus.

• SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2012
    Anduine said:

Why would you ever assume that no defenses would be up?

Anduine said:

Fight begins. Irenicus casts Time Stop.

That's why.
    I had more problems with Sarevok than with Irenicus especially as he wasn't stupid enough to face me alone.
    Even in the battle in hell/abyss the minions were more of a problem (strength in numbers). As soon as they are down the fight is fairly easy.

But you are right in that Sarevok could not win a 'fair' fight vs. Irenicus.

Anduine said:

Why would you ever assume that no defenses would be up?

Anduine said:

Fight begins. Irenicus casts Time Stop.

That's why.
    I had more problems with Sarevok than with Irenicus especially as he wasn't stupid enough to face me alone.
    Even in the battle in hell/abyss the minions were more of a problem (strength in numbers). As soon as they are down the fight is fairly easy.

But you are right in that Sarevok could not win a 'fair' fight vs. Irenicus.

I think that's a reason why we disagree on difficulty here. I do not count teammates and traps in a boss fight. I look only at the boss himself/itself. Granted, I'm not sure I would associate self-reliance and dueling with stupidity. Acting tough while engaging in a 5v1, however, is another matter.

• Tom23Tom23 Member Posts: 6
    Think in all rpg games the most common foe is a mage so for this one to be a combat boss is pretty good and he would kick irenicus in close quarters.
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    "You dare to attack me ?"
    "Enough, I will no longer listen to the babbling of ignorant children."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhL8iKN3rVA

No Question for me,...