Skip to content

NPC Quest Timers

Hey everyone, without getting into any details about specific quests, I was wondering if someone could illuminate me as to whether or not party members' quest timers will still count down if they aren't in the party. I like to do all the NPC-specific quests, even if I do not take those NPCs with me throughout the game. I know that with Anomen a messenger will come to him after 5 days of being in the party, yet I ditched him on the 2nd, and picked him up 4 days later, spawning the trigger anyway. Primarily I'm asking if this can be done for the other party members (or at least the originals, not sure have BG2EE NPCs will work in this regard) because otherwise I will be carrying Jan around for 15 days, which is a little steep.

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    You can do that for all NPCs. As long as they're in the party when the timer begins, you can drop them no worries. :)
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    My question is related to this one so I won't start a new topic. I want to do all the companion quests too.
    When is the best time to do them and how do I manage to trigger them?
    I'm currently in chapter 2, having more than 20k gold and could contact the Shadow thieves or the other group.
    Would it be wise now to put the main quest aside and just take all the "secondary" companions (which won't be in my final party) into my party one after the other and try to trigger their quests simply by resting and waiting? Or is there something that could go wrong?
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    @Morrandirr, I'm presently doing that, and did that on all my BG2 playthroughs: It's optimal, really. Once you advance beyond Ch3 there is much less time for these things! Tip: Contact Anomen, Jan & Hexxat early! They seem to have the longest wait time between recruitment and quest initiation. Mazzy - being fairly out of the way - also has a somewhat inconvenient wait time, though it is still less than 10 days if memory serves. Hope this helps! :)
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    It helps, thanks a lot! :-)
  • JCDentonJCDenton Member Posts: 24
    I've played BG2 countless times and never realized this! I always just slept for two weeks in a row after recruiting a new NPC with long waiting time for their quest. This will make my next playthrough much less immersion breaking :) Thx!
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    Hexxat, Korgan and Edwin run into issues if you head to Spellhold, since their quests involve the Graveyard district. I have a thread Here with console commands that can speed up various NPC quest related interactions to prevent some of the waiting.