Skip to content

Hey, everyone! If you're enjoying BG2:EE, can you hit up metacritic and help balance out the review

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    edited November 2013
    And not to be proofless, I've given my own review on metactritic - I swear, the second after it has been posted, the game's user rating went UP from 7.9 to 8. Yay!

Here's my review.

This edition is simply the best available version of one of the greatest RPGs.

With the new UI it looks stylish and enhanced, the graphics ARE better despite some people being a bit jaded about the game's look. (It's over 10 years old, the Devs did a really good job honestly).

I've tried going back to BG2 and it looks quite primitive after experiencing BG2:EE. Once the modding community has fully wrapped it's collective head around the new version of the engine (and even now many mods are already compatible), the only reason anyone would have to play the original versions of BG2 will be pure nostalgia.

The new NPCs are very interesting, I even find the story of one of them (Hexxat) to be one of the best plot twists in computer games. I like their abilities, their dialogs, their quests.

I've only experienced a couple of bugs but it didn't stop me to play the game properly, they are minor and will be fixed soon.

I'm loving it soooooo much now:)

• drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    48 positive - 10 negative

So they want us to write negative reviews? :P
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Everything for our beloved devs ~
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    that is exactly what I was thinking I went and looked after it had some time since launch and it was quite positive actually
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    edited November 2013
    I'll leave a review now. I never trust bad reviews anyway.

I once saw somebody bought the soft back cover of a book and gave it 1 star on Amazon because they already had it in hardcover and thought it was a new back. Half way through reading it they than realised they had read it before. The global IQ is getting lower and lower. Soon being smart will make you an outcast or supreme leader of a nation.

On a BG2:EE related note. Its working perfect on Mac for me. 10/10 for me just based on stability and bug-free performance.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I gave it a 10/10 on metacritic because theres no way it should even have a single 0/10 score in the first place.

I seriously dont get why people rate it 0 because they find it too outdated or hate the graphics, they didnt even buy it I'm sure.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Thanks for the hint, Bengoshi.. voted v*^_^*v - and yeah.. those 0/10 reviews are really ridiculous.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    ^

And now 150+
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited August 2014
    What balance? I just had a look and it was 150 for, 37 against, with 9 sitting on the fence. Or are you proposing that we right a negative review? I'd say the community as a whole is definitely in favour.

Oh crap, I just noticed the date on the original post! Talk about thread necromancy.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I may be more than fashionably late, but I answered the call nevertheless. Mission accomplished.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2014
    I don't like metacritic because too often the game reviews are like

"OMG this game is amazing and perfect and has no faults 10/10"

"This game is terrible, its so bad, the designers are just taking your money 0/10"

There are slight variations on this. Someone might give the game a 1/10 or a 9/10, but generally I find that its just very polarized.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited August 2014
    its kind of sad so many people still find that site relevant. Its just degenerated into a mess of 0 scores and 10 scores
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Meta critic is ok if you can sort through the carp most people post. Focus on people giving the game above average and below average scores (4 - 8) and you get a good grasp of what works in the game and what needs improvement.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    I don't like metacritic too but I think it's better for everyone when there're actually good (detailed) reviews there.

I don't think it's right to say that when many reviews are just 0/10 or 10/10 there's no point to give your own opinion. Their system lets you see reviews by usefullness and this is when you can read really good views. Moreover, no matter what the majority says or thinks - one should always be brave to express his own opinion. And these detailed and quality opinions are always interesting to me when I use metacritic (from time to time) to decide if I want to watch a certain movie and to try a certain game.

By the way, this thread is nearly one-year old and I'm glad it became live again. The concept of this thread was laid by the word of Trent Oster because when the OP was created, reviews on BG2:EE were mostly the very "0/10"s mentioned by @elminster‌ .
  • AlextonAlexton Member Posts: 5
    Metacritic should really go on a 1-5 scale because people cant handle high numbers like 1-10. Like people said reviews go either horrible or best thing ever. But of course this is one of the best games ever so it deserve its 10 ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2014
    Alexton said:

Metacritic should really go on a 1-5 scale because people cant handle high numbers like 1-10. Like people said reviews go either horrible or best thing ever. But of course this is one of the best games ever so it deserve its 10 ;)

Given the number of bugs, the time its been since the last patch (9 months), and the availability of the game through gog.com (improved with mods) I think somewhere between 6 to 8 would be pretty fair. At least in its current state.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    id probably rate bg1ee as an 8 or 9 and bg2ee a 5 due to bugs and not liking Hexxat