Skip to content

Stand out Memorable BG1 Moments (Spoilers Obviously)

ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
Just thought some discussion on what made BG1 what it was would be healthy for any future DLC or content.

One thing that always comes to mind: going up against other parties! When I think back on BG1's highlights I always remember that battle in the Helm and Cloak where I sided with another party against the "Maulers of Undermountain?" and dispatched them in the most thoroughly humiliating way possible. I don't think any RPG I've played since either had other adventurers, or created encounters as funny/engaging as those party battles.

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    running around in cloakwood not knowing what to do, searching for a random cave entrance.
  • greenmonstergreenmonster Member Posts: 10
    Figuring out how to search for traps in the nashkel mine after dying repeatedly and being like "wow this game is awesome"
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    The first time I found Xan and heard his depressing thoughts on everything, made me want to keep him around for ever. Also, having Tiax because he rules. SO yeah, mainly the little bits of voice and banter makes the game for me.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Attempting to beat a Candlekeep guard after stealing from the nobleman in the tavern. It was one of those things, seeing that plate mail and the look difference between it and chain or scale mail. It was phenomenal.

Reaching Mulahey ALIVE was also a special feeling. I always felt like rushing through the mines with 6 characters, each on level 1. Man, was it fun! XD

Stepping for the first time ever in Baldur's Gate city... man, that was a grand feeling. Too bad that 5 minutes in, the game crashed and corrupted my savegame. I was soooo angry.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    edited August 2012
    My first few steps into Baldur's Gate ... (holy cow, this city is massive)
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    When Gorion and Sarevok have there fight!! 'Your a fool if you believe i would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackys will be unhurt'!!! Epic line :)
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    - Creating my first personal character. Seriously, that alone makes the whole game!
    - Saving Xan from Mulahey and giving him his epic Moonblade back.
    - Letting Yeslick join my party and battling Davaeorn in Cloakwood Mines.
    - Entering Baldur's Gate.
    - Getting to understand the whole Iron Throne conspiracy. Simply, so inspiring!
    - Chapter 7. All of it. Brilliant!
  • RerelRerel Member Posts: 86
    Killing the group at the entry of the Cloakwood mine : "What those new boots do ? Wait a minute... I'M THE FLASH!!". Then discovering Haste spell and beat racing records.
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    Almost s**ting myself when i first saw a Gibberling =)
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Waking up in the woods in the morning, hearing sea waves clashing on nearby Candlekeep cliffs, being abandoned and desperate. Then walking the road, meeting people, some would travel with me + music. I totaly loved to play like this when I was kid and then when BG came out and I played this 2 map demo I was totaly blown away, it was like a kid´s dream came true. I played it over and over for a year, analyzing screenshots from review in gaming magazine until my father bought me full game. I don´t need to tell you that then I was like................."wow, this game is awesome"
  • n0classn0class Member Posts: 10
    Playing an evil party specifically so that I could light off fireball spells in taverns and circus tents.. this game is awesome. Also, telling Melicamp the talking chicken I'd take him to Thalantyr then proceeding, instead, to sell this chicken for 25 gp at Feldepost's inn... mmm talking chicken breast.. this game is awesome.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556

Any battle involving this music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TJtPwHJfvQ

@MilesBeyond oh man, I hit play on that video and my hands automatically went to the BG battle hotkeys...
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    There is the one track that was used only in some parts on Cloakwood Mines. I think it was called Gorion´s battle, it also played in trailer to BG2. That was the best piece of combat music in BG for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgBBVXMZvA
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    Durlag's Tower. Best dungeon I've seen in a crpg. Actually, I loved everything with dopplegangers. They're creepy as hell.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Durlag's Tower. I'm not one for puzzle solving and things like that, but that place was just great.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Charging into the (SCS) bandit camp and clearing it without 1 dead character.

After a couple reloads where we all died horribly from barrages of ice arrows
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Durlag's Tower. The back story for the tower is very memorable. Plus, it was a real challenge to get through. Also finally reaching the city of Badur's Gate itself was pretty amazing, lots to do and see.
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    Battling Drizzt! Or rather getting slaughtered in 10 seconds :)
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Challenging every single mage I met, and getting stronger! + First time you got the archmage robes.. Mmmm
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I must admit I liked Durlag's Tower the best. Great design (graphics), awesome dark story and fitting atmosphere. Also, Dopplegangers...I remember that one part in the Iron Throne building (I think, I don't remember well) where you meet/see a Doppleganger in disguise...That piece of dialog/description made me shiver...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I like the terror, and feeling that you have gone too far down the rabbit hole when you get to the basilisk area on your first playthrough.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    The final battle, it was epic and while that movie that plays when you enter the room is nothing special nowadays it still sets a very creepy and ominous feel to to that final battle.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Watching that opening cinematic for the first time, with my jaw practically hanging on the floor. After the graphics in the gold box games, that was frickin' awesome.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Accidently insulting Minsc and kill him him in my first play through. I started a new game once I saw what he was like in my dad's save.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    Finally killing Drizzt! After 2 days of 4+ hours of trying, I finally managed to kill him. His loot...epic
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Being used for target practice by kobolds in the Firewine Ruins.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    Flinging lightning bolts around with a Wand of Lightning like it was limitless charges, and dying several times before finally remembering that lightning bolts bounce.