Skip to content

Stand out Memorable BG1 Moments (Spoilers Obviously)

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    That bloody chess game in Durlag's Tower. Oh the feeling of sheer joy when I finally figured out a winning strategy... :)
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Being trap in the middle of Firewine Ruins, no options was available for my party except cheating; 2 deads, no spells, no potions, no specials items/wand/something to get my pass 20-80 commando kobolts, no thief alive, all teammate in great pain, not able to sleep.. and had the great idea to save right there, quick save right there, delete all other saves.

So, I restart my game and never let this kind of situations happen to me again. It was in 2001.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Twilight_Fox Ouch, man. I feel your pain.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    I've learned my lesson. Since then I play thief and leave my team at one of the 3 entrances/exits.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203

Being trap in the middle of Firewine Ruins, no options was available for my party except cheating; 2 deads, no spells, no potions, no specials items/wand/something to get my pass 20-80 commando kobolts, no thief alive, all teammate in great pain, not able to sleep.. and had the great idea to save right there, quick save right there, delete all other saves.

So, I restart my game and never let this kind of situations happen to me again. It was in 2001.

I think all of us had to undergo this at least once :)
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    The beginning where Sarevok kills Gorion. I know its kind off lame because its right at the beginning but i can almost remember that conversation line for line. Its the one moment properly any game i've played that i can remember so well
  • robinkomrobinkom Member Posts: 8
    The game that made me upgrade my computer in 1998.

Being dumbfounded that it was on FIVE CD's not counting the later-released expansion!

Seeing that opening cinematic before I even laid eyes on the actual gameplay made me think "Yeah... we got something special here."

Meeting Xzar, Montaron, and Minsc, possibly three of the greatest characters ever in a computer RPG.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    My first dragon. You never forget your first.
  • TheCoffeeGodTheCoffeeGod Member Posts: 618
    -lol-
    I "cheesed" my first dragon ( Firkraag ) before I added the Tactics mod.
    I will never understand why they didn't make dragons able to move in the first place for BGII.
    It just boggles my mind.

• MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    My most memorable moment was speaking to a member of the iron throne. He was complaining about his skin being to itchy, and how he wanted a new one. I was like "wtf...". My spider sense tingled.

The fight between sarevok and gorion had also a big impact for the few twenty first times i saw it. I gazed in awe as my foster parent was slaughtered by a powerful man. After BGII I did change my viewpoint, he could at least used a level 6 spell dammit xD
  • DejwoSWKDejwoSWK Member Posts: 35
    Night Raid on the Bandit Camp,finding out truth about Sarevok and Iron Throne Conspiracy and freeing slaves from mine
  • SirrionSirrion Member Posts: 20
    fighting marl, that fucker always killed me (dont ask me how), then years later i actually understand the dialogue, and figure out how to end it without combat... :D

'Ere now, get out! I don't like your type in here!
  • masterdesbaxtermasterdesbaxter Member Posts: 51
    Scrolling back through the log after the Gorion/Sarevok fight and counting up all of Sarevok's HP. Realizing that he had over 100 was terrifying to me.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    The 1st encounter with Xzar & Monty (these guys are crazy).
    Most of the sounds of creatures & NPC.
    The power of Entangle (really too powerful in BG1).
    The inscriptions on graves of Nashkel.
    The 5 or 6 millions of kobolds in Firewine ruins (a real nightmare).
    The Baldur's Gate city of course.
    The comeback at Candlekeep.
    The battle at the top of Iron Throne.
    The isle of werewolves (my favorite part from TOSC).
    And many more other things...
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    After firewine ruins... I started calling ordinary rodents in real life kobolds...
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Kerozevok said:

The isle of werewolves (my favorite part from TOSC).

Yup, even though Durlag´s Tower was indeed the greatest BG 1 dungeon, I think Balduran Island was the best part of TOTSC.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Member Posts: 44
    That bloody wolf right outside Candlekeep at the begining of the game... always a great first test for a new character ;)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Xzar: "Mommy, I don't feel too good!"
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    Druids and Aloe Vera
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    "100 gold from Gorion to buy equipment before venturing for the first time? I think I'll save up until I find some more of this limited currency. How tough can it be out there with only a staff?"
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    The biggest highlight for me was playing the game multiplayer with a group of around four core players at the PBG forum, and often a couple guests from among the forum regs to fill in the other two slots. It was tough to maintain because the sessions typically took us late into the night. We only did it for a couple months. But it was a total blast.

The first night that I logged in an MP session we were in the Nashkel Mines, with the great ambience there of the echoing water drip sounds and bats. I noticed that the circles under our feet were purple rather than green. It was kind of magical feeling to play the game in this new way--it just felt very different.

The guy hosting the session (Pedro2112, anyone remember him?) played a wizard and did a wonderful job of loosely playing in character, as party leader. He was hilarious. It was such a neat experience to take in all the PCs independently doing their thing, often going somewhat in-character themselves. I played a halfing thief so I had to scout the traps, open chests, etc. There were some very amusing situations and banters between my thief and the wizard, as we often had to coordinate our efforts to avoid friendly fire from spells as my thief scouted.

We posted our exploits on the forum after each session. Others shared vicariously in the fun, and it spawned other MP parties.

This was back in early 2000. I had only just completed one full run through the game, so BG game was still very fresh to me. I do think I would count it as probably the best fun I've ever had playing a game. The camaraderie of that particular gaming experience has thus far been unmatched for me in this silly little pastime.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    wolf fight east from beregost! got my ass handed to me multiple times with lvl1 chars
  • taikobotaikobo Member Posts: 7
    The first time I heard Garrick panicking. Then I tried to make them all panic ...( for Khalid, it wasn't hard!).
    Also, the first time I killed... Disc 2. Bought a new copy of the games 4 or 5 times at least...
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Are you joking? The opening cinematic. "I will be the last! And you will go first!"
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Sceptenar Half tempted to name my character Connor Mcleod, there can be only one.
  • ThightrickThightrick Member Posts: 4
    Returning to Candlekeep.... and then realising that something was not as it used to be:)
  • ThightrickThightrick Member Posts: 4
    Nothing like meeting Koveras and not realising whom you've just meet...
  • nemesisnemesis Member Posts: 49
    The island with the lycans for me, The lvl I was at made it very hard which made it all the better when I made it through