Skip to content

ALOT OF FLAWS IN BGII: Enhanced Edition

So I have noticed there is ALOT of flaws in this new, enhanced version of the game. Sure there was some in the old one aswell, but I find there are even more in the enhanced baldur's gate series. I have to admit I am abit disapointed with the game as it is, considering there are sooo many bugs and the like. In my own opinion it is kinda stupid to release a game before it is done. There is much that has to be done.

Is there anyone out there who knows if there will be a new patch in the near future so that the game is at least the same quality as before? For me it is not playable, hardly enjoyable, when there are so many risks of e.g. crashes, not to mention the more obvious flaws etc.

Yes, the graphics might be enhanced, but the game itself with its bugs and flaws is impaired! Big thumbs down. I should have done some more research before I bought the game it seems.

Comments

• AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    Think you may be wrong, I was told this was a refined product and hardly any bugs... Then i played the game... managed to get throu 1 play throu with only twice having to reload old saves :)
  • MWOMWO Member Posts: 214
    Yes, of course there should be some bugs in a decade-old-game. I'm aware of that. Even the vanilla game with the latest patch wasn't flawless. However, I think this enhanced game has more flaws than the vanilla BG2 game (in which I have not experianced any crashes whatsoever). That's hardly an upgrade if you ask me. :/

My intent is actually a question, if you read it carefully. And if there are any developers on this site it might aswell be a big fat complaint. There should atleast be some kind of notification to the customer about these issues.

I'm very disapointed.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Yep the game has bugs and some of them are really bad. There was actually a patch released a few days ago that helped address some of the problems.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24852/bgii-ee-1-2-2030-11-20-2013
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013
    I'm enjoying the game so far, but there's a tiny little detail that's really getting to me...

The new voiced lines added in the EE aren't really up to snuff (not just companions, but NPCs as well). It's like the voice actors recorded their lines in a poor studio with sub-par equipment. The quality really isn't all that better than some of the player-made mods out there. There's varying levels of loudness, even between the EE-added stuff only (compare Dorn to the Helmites you need to kill for his quest).

The worst thing is that it's very obvious which lines were added, as they're blatantly inferior to the original Bioware audio clips. As I said, it's a minor detail, and it won't stop me from enjoying the game or supporting the devs through future DLC purchases, but still, they could've done better.

What grates on my nerves the most is that Baeloth was amazing and his own lines were indistinguishable from the original BG1 content, while, at the same time, that monk in the tomb (Hexxat's quest) sounds like he was voiced by some random mod-making guy using a 5-year-old mic.

Strange. Just... strange.
    I have posted some lines earlier in other treads regarding flaws/bugs. Also, just check the BGII: EE discussion on this forum regarding bugs. Alot of people keep posting issues and flaws. ALOT.

Also, for me as an old gamer, I really enjoy the little details. It's the small details that makes the game. In this enhanced game these small details are really bad and in many cases becoming an issue/flaw which jeopardize the quality of the game.

However, my intent was to gather knowledge wether or not there will be any patch coming soon that may fix these problems or not.

The latest patch just fixed a minor amount of the issues that is out there. There is still alot of catching up to do. To release a half-done game is just bad. Very bad image. If the company, "Beamdog" or whatever it is called, expect a lucrative business, they really need to sharpen up!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I challenge - nay, I defy you! - to list these alleged "bugs" and "flaws."
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @MWO Which issues? This is your thread. Feel free to list things you find wrong and we will try to fix them. A patch was released just two days ago.
    Somehow I have a feeling you won't fix a damn thing if I spend my free time on something this company should have done before the game even was released. Also, I posted a issue some days ago, but then I got no response whatsoever in the bugs forum.

To you that say "Which flaws/bugs?" - GO TO THE BGII:EE DISCUSSION REGARDING BUGS! There you have your list of people posting their issues. However, that's not the point. My intent with this thread was to know if someone is working on a major patch or not. Yes, there was a patch released, but as far as I understand, there's still much to be done. Strange the beta-testers didn't notice...

I wonder if there is a chance of a reclaim, or complain of so that people might get their money back. Hmm...
    MWO said:

Strange the beta-testers didn't notice...

Not really. Its a big game and with any beta testing things change with each beta build. Its not realistic to expect volunteers to play test through the whole game, trying every possible companion and spell in a playthrough, whenever a new build comes out (including the final release build). Also some issues are mac specific while others are PC or Ipad specific.
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    If you don't want to list them because you are just reading about them instead of experiencing them yourself, you are a moron. Try listing 5, just 5 of your own.
    edited November 2013
    Reading other peoples posts of issues/flaws/bugs making me believe they actually exist. That's enough for me to feel doubt about the game. I don't want to experiance them. I do have experianced some flaws already regarding wizard spells, but that's not the point with this thread.

However, you keep avoiding my question. Are there some dudes out there working on patches that might be released within a couple of weeks or not? If so, yes, then it might be worth spending some time on the game knowing some flaws actually might change. Generally speaking of course.

P.S. I am extremely picky. You must be able to take criticism in order to improve. Also, I think that one should be informed about the chances of bugs and diffrent flaws before you buy the game. That's what enhanced stands for, isn't? D.S.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We released a patch yesterday that resolved more than thirty issues, including one major memory leak (that was causing most of the crashes people were seeing).

To answer your question, we are still working hard to resolve the outstanding issues.
    Atlast, a proper answer for my question. Thanks!

Because it is a type of commercial markets around the game, the customers have the right to make certain demands. I don't want to make the company repay for my purchase. But of course you already know this. I look forward to wait for the next update.
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    So.. you flat out refuse to mention any bugs and flaws you PERSONALLY have experienced, you want to continuously point at the forums and say 'other people say it is buggy, thus it must be buggy!' and only when a Dev actually points out to you 'Hey idiot, we already patched all the issues the forum posters mentioned, a week after releasing the game no less' do you finally cave?

Is this a special kind of troll, or am I just missing the point?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'm not experiencing any such problems.
    6 patches sounds about right :)
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    MWO said:

So I have noticed there is ALOT of flaws in this new, enhanced version of the game. Sure there was some in the old one aswell, but I find there are even more in the enhanced baldur's gate series.

Bro diddly if you're going to troll, at least try harder next time. "Even more" than the original?

Dude.

Naw.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    OP: have you, um, played other games? They all have bugs on release - ALL of them. And I'm talking about companies with budgets and resources that completely dwarf what Beamdog has to work with.

And yet, I've never played a game with an online community as supportive as this one. And I'm not just talking about the forum members, but about moderators who are literally jumping on every bug report to make sure you have a positive experience. Have you ever reported a problem on a gaming forum and had a mod quickly ask you to send them a copy of your save so they could resolve your specific issue? Because until now, I sure as hell haven't.

I for one haven't experienced a single game-breaking bug, and the ones I have seen were either fixed in the latest patch (only days after release, which is NOT common) or are being actively worked on. If you had actually reported a *specific* problem instead of wrongly assuming that the game was unplayable due to bugs you've heard of, I bet you would have had a better experience here.

• laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    @MWO hmmm not able to list your own issues, silly trolls. So much free time for people nowadays it seems the trolls are breeding like rabbits.
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    sorry about the stupid question, what do you guys mean when you say troll?
    I know it's totally off topic, but I am curious :)

and to go back on topic, yes the game has few bugs, like any other game I ever played, and the devs had already release a patch in less than a week... to me they are doing a great job! I am really enjoying play bg2EE, it make me feel like I am playing it for the very first time! :)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    maxi said:

sorry about the stupid question, what do you guys mean when you say troll?
    I know it's totally off topic, but I am curious :)

and to go back on topic, yes the game has few bugs, like any other game I ever played, and the devs had already release a patch in less than a week... to me they are doing a great job! I am really enjoying play bg2EE, it make me feel like I am playing it for the very first time! :)

Trolls are people that make inflammatory threads and/or start problems simply to take pleasure out of seeing people's reactions. Go to a popular game's website, insist it is bad, poorly but relentlessly defend your argument, get people to yell at you, watch the world burn.

"Feeding" a troll just means taking them seriously, as I and others have unfortunately done in this thread. You aren't supposed to do that. Rather, you ignore the troll thread until the troll goes away. Unfortunately, due to the nature of trolling, it's often impossible to tell beyond a shadow of a doubt who is or isn't a troll, so moderators often cannot do anything definitive about the troll and new people will continue to feed it even as others recognize and avoid the thread.
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    MWO said:

I am extremely picky.

Yeah, so picky you're not even able to tell us what the problem is.
    ''T-these other p-people are having minor p-problems so I want a r-refund!''
    Hahahahhahahaha.
    As a slight addendum, let's not make the mistake of flaming people just because we think they're trolling. I'd like to remind everyone to reexamine the Site Rules, particularly the bit about respecting each other.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's pretty tough to have a discussion when the OP volunteers zero information to discuss, even after being asked, Dee.
    I will grant you that the question about patches was somewhat hidden, but I don't know that the purpose of this thread was to discuss the game's flaws, but rather to draw attention to them in the hopes that someone with an answer could offer some perspective.

In any case, it's still not an excuse for some of the behavior I saw. "Don't feed the troll" is just as much a personal attack as "You're a moron".
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2013
    Exactly Dee...
    some people here could really need to get some manners.. if they never saw more than 5 possible quick bugs and glitches in the original release, then they probably 1. were not very attentive.. 2. are kinda real dumb fanboys themselves (or trolls too yes) ^^ ... Just go in the bug section http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/bgii:ee-bugs .. and do count the number of..possible (real) glitches noticed by some lucky ones that got/_noticed_ them (that does NOT mean at all the game is unplayable btw..much better initial state than bg1ee imo too.. hu^) ..or by some others that tried to use a game mechanism affected by some others possible glitches.. if you did not experiment that so far in your playthrough, lucky to you dudes.. but to insult people reporting they did, wow, just wow.. ^^
    BTW, as noticed by Dee, the first patch is fixing more than 30 initial glitches (including the REALLY severe one /memory possible game breaking leak (possibly erasing whole save item/areas/quests contents, no less..)...way more than 5 actually (already)... but sure, that is a really good thing already done and fixed so... i am right now testing a little the new v1.2.2030 patch.. especially the 'spirit armor'/etc(countdown spells/abilities) save/rest initial bug and such (apparently always here, that one, from a quick test - my luck^ -see http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/399605/#Comment_399605 for exemple to 'see' what we mean by 'that' here..)..the +++++ mastery thing? [edit: already fixed apparently; #7076 -nice]... my blade offensive/defensive spins are always working weirdly with spells/potions/rings of free will/speed..) ..but i am sure already happy about the other fixes (already) done less than one week after the initial launch.. constructive criticism is always welcomed imo.. and good for all.. */

very nice first hotpatch btw.. and quick yes.. )

PS;
    look at this too (for exemple) ; http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23771/bg2ee-quick-load-enemies-disappear/p1 [another little thing to fix in the next one..not totally fixed yet apparently..that can annoy some others..even if _you_ did 'not notice' that.. others did so^^].
    Post edited by sunset00 on