Skip to content

The Official Baldur's Gate 1 Vs 2 Poll!

Comments

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    I love them both....
  • OpaleOpale Member Posts: 3
    I'd go for BG2 because the gameplay was better, the story was way more epic in my opinion, more items and spells and content in general, interactions were definitively more interesting and I also (don't throw rocks at me !) prefer BG2 animations.. but hey, just my 2 cents !
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    BG2 for the romances, better combats, improved graphics and party interactions.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    mch202 said:

I chose BG1 because I like more the open world/free exploration

Pretty much the better feature of BG1 and the thing that almost made me vote on equal love.

Thing is... I really like the encounter design in BG2. Maybe because higher levels allow for more options in that department, but regardless its one of the best encounter designs since.
  • AsmodiasAsmodias Member Posts: 22
    Baldurs Gate 1 felt a lot less linear and gave me more freedom, so I'm going with BG1.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    it's not a fair comparison for BG,worse graphics,less dialogues,less voice acting..it just can't compete unless it's enchanced.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

it's not a fair comparison for BG,worse graphics,less dialogues,less voice acting..it just can't compete unless it's enchanced.

Well.. Let see what happens after BG:EE. though Im sure that bg1 with npc interactions can give a good fight to bg2.

• RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81
    They're both great. I would say that I love BG2 more if not for the 'gear bloat' that occurs, and to a lesser extent, the skill/spell bloat. BG1 had you gasping with joy at finding a +1 weapon/armour, or some other item. BG2 you're swimming in magical equipment and after finding your favoured set, looting becomes a boring chore. Likewise, every spell in BG1 was precious, and pretty much all spells remained relevant for the majority of the game (e.g. grease, sleep, sanctuary, bless).
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Baldur's Gate I hands down, as much as I've loved Baldur's Gate II as well.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    BG2 is my favorite game of all time. While BG1, being as nice as it is, is not even in TOP10.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    does BGT count? :P
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Sure BG2 has improvements that BG1 didn't have, but for me, the classic difficulty and experience of BG1 and the better NPC depth in BG2 make them both unique experiences for that I love equally.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    bg2- improved gameplay, more developed characters, interesting locations, epic stuff...

i like the humble bg1 beginnings (not the whole bestiary is immediately on a plate) and freedom to explore and have weird encounters. but bg2 was more fun.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    actually, i liked bg1 better for all the reasons stated, but bg2 had romances, and maybe people here will find it sad or whatever, but that wins out over alot. having romances in bg1 is going to be awesome, except only one female? ehhhh, but still happy
  • cyberarmycyberarmy Member Posts: 128
    I like the second game better, but it can use more outdoor areas to explore :)
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    My vote for Baldurs GAte 2 Shadows of Amn. For the glory of Amn! (Во Славу Амна! ), That was one of the replic from Russian version. Just emotions about good time!!! Real good Time!!!

Good art, and deep fantasy!
  • mercyfulfate1988mercyfulfate1988 Member Posts: 43

I voted BG2, but I did so mainly because of the vast improvements in the engine, graphics and controls. I also prefer Irenicus, and the more "active" party members.

BG2 was an improvement on so many fronts, but of course there were some disappointments... mainly the lack of "wildernes" areas.

It will be interesting to re-evaluate when BG:EE comes out. BG1 has the charm I think, but there's a definite lack of party banter and romance. Also, the sheer power one can attain in BG2 is very... pleasing :-)

I can totally agree with this. BG2 was technically better in terms of dual wield, party banter and "class" type quests. I think BG1 had a better classic feel to it though. The first campaign was much better and I will disagree and say that I prefer Sarevok over Irenicus. I also like the areas better in BG1 over BG2.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Neither is better than the other. They are intertwined into one story. I know some people who have only played Baldur's Gate II, and they just do not understand (Or foolishly/pitifully, do not care) on what they are missing out on.

Such beautiful stories are meant to be told in their entirety, not opened up halfway through with the first half never to be told.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Anduine said:

Neither is better than the other. They are intertwined into one story. I know some people who have only played Baldur's Gate II, and they just do not understand (Or foolishly/pitifully, do not care) on what they are missing out on.

Such beautiful stories are meant to be told in their entirety, not opened up halfway through with the first half never to be told.

I agree. I once dated a girl who had seen the Crow 2, but never the first movie. She loved the movie, and it struck me as bizarre that she would have never seen the first one. If I saw Empire Strikes Back and loved it, why wouldn't I see Star Wars? If I loved BG2 why wouldn't I play BG? Some people are enigmas wrapped up in a riddle.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I voted for BG 1. I thought the game was stunning the first time I played and I still prefer the way it looks to BG2.

I remember really looking forward to BG2 but when it arrived I was actually very disappointed with it. I didn't like the fact that I had been captured without knowing anything about it (I would have preferred the game to start with a battle I couldn't possibly win than the aftermath of a battle I had already lost). Imoen seemed to have changed into someone I'd never met before. I'd always kept her as a thief and I still can't see her as a magic user (Imoen in the library reading books? It sounds unlikely to me). Then I discovered that two of the characters from my party had died "off-screen" and a bunch of other NPCs I really liked only turned up in cameo roles or had disappeared completely. It took me a long time to get into the game at all.

I grew to like BG 2 a lot. But BG 1 will always be my first love.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    BG2 because i actually finished it first time around, Don`t think i`ve played through BG1 more than once on my x numbers of installs over the years and it took 3 tries over 6 years or so to do it. Idk, i was to young to get it i think so Sarevok was just some uninteresting stupid jerk to me, i had very little motivation to kick he`s arse. Luckily, my arse-kicking threshold has lowered quite a bit.
  • DuranDuran Member Posts: 15
    Love both equally. Baldurs Gate 1 set the epic plot and Baldurs Gate 2 continued it :)
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Anduine said:

Its wierd to play ONLY BG2 without playing BG1 .. Its not like BG1 released a decade before BG2, its was released only 2 years before and use the same engine.. :-p

• JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Baldur's Gate 2 improved on the original in every conceivable way. I have the fondest memories of it... I replay it at least once a year. I replay BG1 at least once every three years.
  • SpidersBaneSpidersBane Member Posts: 20
    BG1 has more nostalgic value for me, however aside from that I feel it is a better game in a few ways.

-Starting from the very start is simply awesome, the vunerability on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn is so awesome, fleeing from gibberlings etc.

-I prefer the graphics and animations, though I think the BG2 graphics and animations suit BG2 better. But if BG1 EE has BG2 graphics and animations I probably wont get it =\

-Awesome storyline, great villian, heaps of potential party members and random quests.

This being said, I love BG2 also. The story feels more epic to me, and I think Irenicus is one of the coolest antagonists ever. The superior graphics are nice (though don't suit BG1 as stated ^)

BG2 certainly feels more polished but I cannot help but prefer BG1. It's just amazing all the way through.

I love both!
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I love both equally! but if I had to decide bg2
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    I love both games, however BG2 just added so much stuff that hadn't been in other games before. Extensive character interactions, party banter, epic amount of content and quests, romances for those of you that prefer that kind of thing, more classes, its just more epic stuff.

In effect BG2 was just better than the predecessor - which should be the goal of every sequel, the only games with as big jumps were God of War 2 from God of War, and Civ 4 from Civ 3 (considering that Civ 5 is trash).
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    BG2 had a better plot, expanded character options, better graphics, and more developed followers. The choice is obvious. Although the nerfing of Grandmastery always irked me a bit.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    I liked BG1 better because of the massive amount of exploration you could do; it had ~50 areas you could explore, a large majority which were completely optional. Unlike BG2 where all the areas were streamlined, and while going to some were 'optional', if you wanted to do a certain quest, you had to go there.

I did like BG2 better in terms of combat, because at those levels is where mages started to shine with their higher-level spells.

I never finished BG2 though, so I'm not a very reliable judge between the two. Sarevok looked a lot cooler than Irenicus though...