Skip to content

Neera is now a man! Wild Surges and you!

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

@Purudaya
    Uh, did Neera's shenanigans not obliterate Firkraag's scales, Carsomy, and other loot?

Was thinking the same thing
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    As a DM, I would say the scales would disintegrate but the hoard would not. In game? I'm guessing everything's gone.
  • SublimeBWSublimeBW Member Posts: 42
    edited November 2013
    I love the fun that Wild Mages brings with them. My first time using a spell with Neera on my latest play though she cast Summon Demon, Silke didn't last to long once that happened and I ran into the inn like a little girl.
    Post edited by SublimeBW on
    edited November 2013
    SublimeBW said:

I love the fun that Wild Mages brings with them. My first time using a smell with Neera on my latest play though she cast Summon Demon, Silke didn't last to long once that happened and I ran into the inn like a little girl.

Well then u better tell her to hold her nose before she smells up more demons :) (not normally a grammar nazi but it read weird to me)
    Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

@Purudaya
    Uh, did Neera's shenanigans not obliterate Firkraag's scales, Carsomy, and other loot?

They did, which is why I decided to reload - but it was still pretty badass.
    Purudaya said:

@Purudaya

that really sucks. i guess that is why i never use disintegrate or imprison or anything. that was amazing luck though if you weren't losing out on such items
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816

Purudaya said:

@Purudaya

that really sucks. i guess that is why i never use disintegrate or imprison or anything. that was amazing luck though if you weren't losing out on such items
    I actually considered leaving the result the way it was. There's lots of good armor in the game and I didn't have any characters in my runthrough who use Carsomyr, so it wasn't really a dealbreaker (the gold isn't destroyed, just the items). The XP is more valuable than the goods depending on your party, imho.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    The oddest one I had was when she turned herself into a man in the first match with the Red wizards in Beregost.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Akihiko said:

Did somebody say... MATHEMAGICIAN!?!?!?

I think you mean @mathsorcerer
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2013
    GemHound said:

The oddest one I had was when she turned herself into a man in the first match with the Red wizards in Beregost.

The weirdest thing ever happen to me was casting limited wish via the reckless dweomer and getting the surge effect that turned it into an area of effect spell. Suddenly I was standing in a room filled with genies and had to make wishes for nearly half an hour.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    meagloth said:

Akihiko said:

Did somebody say... MATHEMAGICIAN!?!?!?

I think you mean @mathsorcerer
    And not Numeromancer?

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    @meagloth You rang?

Numeromancy is a real thing, of course, presuming you believe in divination and tangentially related to that is Kabbalah. I am a student of neither; rather, I simply like the name and I have been using it for quite a few years here and there.

I am uncertain where the 1% is coming from but the probability of getting two wild surges in a row would be (.05)(.05) = .0025.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

I am uncertain where the 1% is coming from but the probability of getting two wild surges in a row would be (.05)(.05) = .0025.

The 1% is coming from each surge having 1% chance to be rolled on the D100, and we were calculating the chances of the same surge happening twice in a row, with that 0.0025 chance of getting 2 wild surges in a row.
    Oh, the *same* surge happening twice in a row. Okay, that is different.

Two independent events. First event = wild surge followed by an effect -> only a 5% chance because we weren't trying to get any particular result, only looking for the chance of getting a surge.
    Second event = wild surge followed by the same effect -> (.05)(.01) = .0005
    So p(getting two wild surges with the same effect in a row) = (.05)(.0005) = .000025 or 1/40,000.
    edited November 2013

Oh, the *same* surge happening twice in a row. Okay, that is different.

Two independent events. First event = wild surge followed by an effect -> only a 5% chance because we weren't trying to get any particular result, only looking for the chance of getting a surge.
    Second event = wild surge followed by the same effect -> (.05)(.01) = .0005
    So p(getting two wild surges with the same effect in a row) = (.05)(.0005) = .000025 or 1/40,000.

Dont think thats correct as we looking at a particular result both times i.e. destruction of gold in two consecutive spell castings. Odds are closer to 1:4000000.

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @wittand
    ... EVIL Genies.
    edited November 2013

@meagloth You rang?

Numeromancy is a real thing, of course, presuming you believe in divination and tangentially related to that is Kabbalah. I am a student of neither; rather, I simply like the name and I have been using it for quite a few years here and there.

Numeromancy is NOT a real thing even if one would believe in divination or related foresight. Its kind of on the lines of astrology and cartomancy.
    Post edited by Shar on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Divination by numbers is, I believe, arithmancy (according to my encyclopaedia of the occult, anyway). The Kabbalah reference makes me think Mathsorcerer is thinking of gematria, which is slightly different to divination since its essentially a form of textual exegesis using numerical correspondences.

Divination by numbers is, I believe, arithmancy (according to my encyclopaedia of the occult, anyway). The Kabbalah reference makes me think Mathsorcerer is thinking of gematria, which is slightly different to divination since its essentially a form of textual exegesis using numerical correspondences.

Makes me rethink my life choices... While people are reading up on Kaballah and the occult i'm indulged in Personal Taxation 2012...
  • ScytheKnightScytheKnight Member Posts: 220
    Well I've had Neera use Nahal's to try and hit Bassilus with a Chromatic Orb... and wound up placing about 200GP worth of gems on him instead... not exactly complaining there.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

Turning a character orange stays a pretty long time, in my experience. I had Neera glowing orange for a good part of my EE playthrough. I was all, "Girl, look at how orange you look!".

In one of the wild magic rooms in Watcher's Keep I got hit with that. Fortunately a dispel magic got rid of it. Not sure if your own surges can be dispelled so easily.

In the wild magic room with the horde of imps, a huge amount of the imps got turned into squirrels.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I'm not really planning on taking Neera into my party just because of her randomness. Although I do believe she might have some interesting backstory to her character.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    I love Neera and the wild surges! Makes me laugh quite a lot.. I do however make sure to quick save before i involve her in fights, just in case she really fucks things up.. like destroying Carsomyr on my paladin playthrough.

I think the funniest moment so far has been when casting horrid wilting. I was all "you're gonna die now, filthy drow" and all i get are swirly colours. Such epic failure..
    Shar said:

Dont think thats correct as we looking at a particular result both times i.e. destruction of gold in two consecutive spell castings. Odds are closer to 1:4000000.

Yes, you are correct--if we are looking for the probability of a specific effect happening twice then 1/4,000,000.

I have seen various names for divination by numbers over the years; I sometimes think different sources come up with different names so it doesn't look like they are copying from each other. Kabbalah and gematria are related only because they are esoteric subsets of Judaism but I agree with @Eudaemonium in that they are different enough so that they should never be confused. The failure in the logic of numerology, no matter what name or flavor you may prefer, is that mathematics can accurate describe reality but mathematics does not alter or create reality. Reality is the actual path from point A to point B and mathematics is a map of the path; as you well know, the map is not the path.

What is it with me, anyway? Here I derail a thread on to numerology and some other thread got derailed onto burial practices in Mesopotamia. *shrug*

Now....@Shar's Personal Taxation 2012....*that* is scary.

Wittand said:

GemHound said:

The weirdest thing ever happen to me was casting limited wish via the reckless dweomer and getting the surge effect that turned it into an area of effect spell. Suddenly I was standing in a room filled with genies and had to make wishes for nearly half an hour.
    you should have taken a screenshot! i am thinking of reloading until i get this now just so I can see :)

Shar said:

Yes, you are correct--if we are looking for the probability of a specific effect happening twice then 1/4,000,000.

I have seen various names for divination by numbers over the years; I sometimes think different sources come up with different names so it doesn't look like they are copying from each other. Kabbalah and gematria are related only because they are esoteric subsets of Judaism but I agree with @Eudaemonium in that they are different enough so that they should never be confused. The failure in the logic of numerology, no matter what name or flavor you may prefer, is that mathematics can accurate describe reality but mathematics does not alter or create reality. Reality is the actual path from point A to point B and mathematics is a map of the path; as you well know, the map is not the path.

What is it with me, anyway? Here I derail a thread on to numerology and some other thread got derailed onto burial practices in Mesopotamia. *shrug*

Now....@Shar's Personal Taxation 2012....*that* is scary.

I know right? Unfortunately i have no spell or potion that can raise my intelligence past those measly 3 points :).

Also i think my countriy's politicians should read your passage above. No matter what math they use is to describe unemployment rate or projected GDP growth for next year, oh boy it is distant from reality....
    Shar said:

I know right? Unfortunately i have no spell or potion that can raise my intelligence past those measly 3 points :).

Also i think my countriy's politicians should read your passage above. No matter what math they use is to describe unemployment rate or projected GDP growth for next year, oh boy it is distant from reality....

No worries--there are plenty of things I don't understand such as why commercials have to be twice as loud as the program you are watching.

Politicians....what can I say? They keep the illithid fed and that seems to be their only use.
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    I've had her turn red until she died, and gold until she died before nothing permanent so far though
  • niwreniwre Member Posts: 16
    Earlier today, I had Sarevok on his knees when she Healed him. oops. :-)
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    I was wandering around the lighthouse area in BG1, trying to save the boy from the wolves, when Neera summoned *two* Nabassu's. They then began to fight each other and the one left standing was "Near Death" after their little battle. Quite awesome.