Skip to content

Heart of Fury mode emulator for BGEE/BG2EE: testers needed

TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
edited November 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
With a whole lot of invaluable practical help and theoretical advice from @DavidW (the author of SCS, in case you don't know) and @Borsook (the author of the Mix-Mod/Difficulty & Tweak mod), I've been able to put together a faithful enough emulation of Icewind Dale HoF mode. Of course, I refer to IWD1 here, as IWD2 uses a different D&D edition rules and its HoF mode is generally flawed (a steep increase in difficulty is over-balanced by the introduction of obnoxiously powerful HoF-only items).

In case some people here are unacquainted with HoF mode (though I have yet to see a BG fan that haven't touched IWD as well), I will detail Heart of Fury rules:

1. A bonus of -11 to enemy AC.
2. A bonus of -5 to enemy THAC0.
3. A bonus of -5 to enemy saving throws.
4. Enemies gain +1 attack/round.
5. Enemies' hp is calculated according to the following formula: non-HoF hp * 3 + 80.
6. Enemies' xp value is calculated according to the following formula: non-HoF xp * 4 + 2,000.
7. Quest xp is doubled [not implemented in the emulator].

A couple of important notes:

- HoF rules are not externalised in IWD, so this list is a product of extensive in-game experimentation. I admit I do not understand fully the saving throw bonus system used by HoF mode. It is probably governed by new creature level (level 1 fighter will become level 13, in accordance with his new hp value, for example). Still, my educated guess is that flat -5 is an adequate enough translation to BG rules.

- One critical difference between the emulator and the original HoF is its handling of summoned creatures/polymorphs. In IWD, the summons and the polymorphs did in fact benefit from the same boni to the stats the enemies had applied. The impact of this on the common HoF playstyle was colossal. Now, I have no idea whether that was intended, or just a design oversight, but I tend to think it's the latter. Since the beefed up summons/polymorphs potentially ruin the challenge and turn HoF into a weird monster vs. monster game, I have decided to leave all summoned creatures and polymorphs at their non-HoF stats: it means the creatures summoned by enemy mages will be non-HoF as well, but that's a lesser evil -- anyway, enemies aren't especially fond of summoning spells. Currently, I'm doubtful as to what to do with GOODBUTRED creatures (gated demons), since those can be your enemies as well as your allies. Either way, that's a minor issue left undecided.

What do I need at this stage? I post this in the Challenges section in hopes of finding suitable testers for this mod, since it is, indeed, a very challenging (and, at times, quite unpleasant) experience. The mod is fully functional at this point, at least for BGEE (BG2EE needs a closer look at summon/polymorph CRE entries). I wish to test the non-critical path areas of the game (Durlag's Tower, Isle of Balduran, etc.). I intend to handle the critical path by myself, though a second/third/fourth opinion would be welcome as well, of course. Preferably, I need people with considerable IWD/BG experience and firm understanding of game mechanics. If you have hardcore runs under your belt, that's a definite plus as well, for obvious reasons. Not-so-experienced folks, even those that mean well and really want to help, should probably invest their time elsewhere (mainly since I'd prefer not to get feedback along the lines of: "WTF is this mod, man? It's impossible to hit those freaking gibberlings, and a wolf just killed my entire party in two rounds!").

If you wish to playtest it, please reply to this post.
Post edited by Tisamon on

Comments

• BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    Nice job :) BTW the creature level should not really matter, there is a chance it matters for some spells though.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    Borsook said:

Nice job :) BTW the creature level should not really matter, there is a chance it matters for some spells though.

I think they have their saving throws lowered so that they correspond to the actual HoF level. E. g., a 1st level fighter has saving throws of a 13th level fighter. Not sure, though. It's the hardest part to study empirically due to the scarcity of information provided by IWD engine ("Erevain - Saving Throw: 25" Yay! What does that mean, for God's sake? How can it be 25?), so I base my -5 conclusion on the statistical observations (they fail roughly 25% less than they should according to their original saving throws).

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I assume it's possible to stack this with SCS?
    decado said:

I assume it's possible to stack this with SCS?

In theory, yes, for the most part: David mainly leaves stats untouched, while this mod only alters stats. At this point, though, I cannot recommend it -- it's still untested. Oh, and the perspective testers shouldn't stack it with any mods (goes without saying, I suppose, but still).

edited November 2013
    It's not for me at this time as I'm not a good enough player to enjoy such a stacked challenge, however I hope you do get any issues ironed out and the mod officially released. I can forsee some epic solo runs in the future.
    decado said:

It's not for me at this time as I'm not a good enough player to enjoy such a stacked challenge, however I hope you do get any issues ironed out and the mod officially released. I can forsee some epic solo runs in the future.

Heh, technically, it's a primitive enough mod, so it surely will get released shortly even if no one volunteers to test it: it's perfectly possible to test it all alone. About those epic solo runs: I think SCS + HoF are likely to make a solo player die right there at the 3rd level of Nashkel mines (David introduces zounds of tricky kobolds there), while a party will probably be done by chapter III end-battle (bandit tent with a lot of extra mercenaries introduced by SCS). That's not to say the mods are mutually exclusive, of course, just that one has to be a masochist par excellence to stack them :)
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    SCS already has an option to increase level for mages and priests, maybe you should ask DavidW for his bits of code to automate the process for all creatures (looking up tables and adjusting stats/spells accordingly to new level). That's if you want to keep their stats legal (according to your ruleset, vanilla or modded) of course.

The option I'm talking is in stratagems/stratagems.ini that needs editing before installing the mod.
    Tisamon said:

decado said:

Heh, technically, it's a primitive enough mod, so it surely will get released shortly even if no one volunteers to test it: it's perfectly possible to test it all alone. About those epic solo runs: I think SCS + HoF are likely to make a solo player die right there at the 3rd level of Nashkel mines (David introduces zounds of tricky kobolds there), while a party will probably be done by chapter III end-battle (bandit tent with a lot of extra mercenaries introduced by SCS). That's not to say the mods are mutually exclusive, of course, just that one has to be a masochist par excellence to stack them :)
    And yet someone will do it...
    lansounet said:

SCS already has an option to increase level for mages and priests, maybe you should ask DavidW for his bits of code to automate the process for all creatures (looking up tables and adjusting stats/spells accordingly to new level). That's if you want to keep their stats legal (according to your ruleset, vanilla or modded) of course.

The option I'm talking is in stratagems/stratagems.ini that needs editing before installing the mod.

Currently, I think it's adequate as it is. First of all, I'm not sure the levels they gain in HoF are meaningful (you can see them only if you Ctrl-Q a creature to your party, so maybe that's the way the engine is handling those extra hp). Secondly, statistically the outcome should be approximately the same, so I'd prefer to leave it 'as is'. Maybe a playtesting will persuade me the introduction of extra levels is necessary -- if I see it differs from IWD HoF experience significantly, but I doubt it.

decado said:

No doubt :)
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Tisamon said:

decado said:

No doubt :)
    I agree on both counts - technically there should be no incompatibility; in terms of actual play experience it would probably be a bit like hard work. (Though in HoF mode mages become relatively even weaker than usual, and in SCS mages gain more than other classes from improved AI, so maybe it'll cancel out in a way that's useful to a masochist...)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'm eagerly anticipating watching the solo challenge HoF + SCS...
    @DavidW

By the by, installation order should be SCS first, then HoF? (I know you usually recommend to install your mod last, however, it does add some creature entries that otherwise won't get Hof treatment, right? Provided those Black Talons, Goblin Shamans, etc. are indeed new creatures, that is...)
    mlnevese said:

In fact, I have an idea about a character that can complete such a challenge with relative ease: that is to say -- not easily at all, but comparatively speaking... It will involve a lot of metagaming and dirty, dirty, dirty tricks, though :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Now we just need a volunteer for a no reload, poverty, solo, HOF + SCS run :)
    mlnevese said:

Now we just need a volunteer for a no reload, poverty, solo, HOF + SCS run :)

Ugh. I'll pass :)

I can handle a minimal reload (one per chapter) solo HoF+SCS, I believe. Not 100% sure about ToB (I just happen to know the ins and outs of it much less thoroughly than BG and BG2: SoA - never took it too seriously, truth be told), but BGEE+BG2EE: SoA -- yes, I suppose I can. I postpone my final judgment until I try out a combination of SCS with HoF, though :) I'll be happy to record and upload it, minus travel/shopping/cutscenes, if I'll see such a tier of difficulty is manageable solo.

edited November 2013
    Meanwhile, I can confirm SCS works nicely (in a perverse way) with HoF emulator. The installation order I've used was SCS v28 -> HoF emu. Otherwise, quite a large number of files (probably creatures modified by David) won't get patched. As soon as I conclude some preliminary tests, I will release a BGEE-only version of the mod. It _will_ work with BG2EE, but it's not recommended, since I haven't gone through the higher-level summons/polymorphs catalogue to exclude them yet.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I don't know how difficult it would be to balance and code such an increase, but PC summons should be buffed somewhat in any HOF mode. No need to go crazy like IWD2's Skeleton Warriors and Shades; but my casters need their meat shields. Summoned Planetars shouldn't get smacked around by a pack of Bandits.
    @Tyranus

I admit there is much truth to your words, but... first things first. Let me finish the playtest, then release the mod without the summon/polymorph stats buffed (default option). In the next version, judging by my own experience with the mod + some feedback (hopefully), I can indeed incorporate different options. E. g.: "nothing at all" (all summons & polymorphs are at default non-HoF stats); "middle ground" (all summons & polymorphs gain -5 AC, -2 THAC0, -2 saves, hp * 1.5 +40); "all" (all summons & polymorphs gain full HoF boni).
    edited November 2013
    The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of giving all summons and polymorphs 1/2 of the HoF boni, rounded down, by default: -5 AC, -2 THAC0, -2 saves, hp * 1.5 + 40, xp * 2 + 1,000 (for enemy summons). The summons won't get +1/2 ApR, though. -5 AC will compensate for enemies' -5 THAC0, thus allowing them to tank well enough. It should presumably get rid of the uselessness of non-HoF stats summons/polymorphs for both the players and the enemies, at the same time, not going too far into that direction, so as not to emulate the unfortunate original HoF summon-buffing that ultimately led to "monster wars".
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Sounds like you've got a good idea. I also wouldn't give them the extra APR, casting Haste shouldn't give 3 attacks to meat shields.
    edited November 2013
    Or, in bear's case - 4 ApR :) Actually, HoF stat balance is such that all monsters have more staying power than attack capability, so I don't think 3 or even 4 ApR on a meat shield is a huge issue -- the damage output will not be high enough considering enemies' hp. Still, it doesn't feel right somehow.

Another issue I've discovered while playtesting BGEE is HoF experience rate becomes absurdly high in this context. Example: as a solo character, I can kill Drizzt first, then Shandalar (both require only patience and don't involve any fake-talking), and get myself to the xp cap, as Drizzt is worth 50,000 xp, while Shandalar is worth 106,000 xp. I'm not sure that should be changed, as original HoF xp handling was strictly along the same lines, you could start chapter I as Fighter 7/Druid 9, or something like that. After all, that is an emulator of a specific game mode, not an attempt to make the world better :) Still, I'm beginning to have some doubts concerning this issue.
    Well, I've concluded the playtest of BGEE. As far as I can see, it works smoothly, no unexpected issues discovered. However, I don't think there is a reason to release the HoF emulator, until at least the critical path of BG2EE is also playtested (and all BG2EE summons/polymorphs get the 1/2 HoF stats I've decided on). After I'm done with that, the mod will be released for both BGEE and BG2EE. Shouldn't take long, probably less than a week.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I'd be willing to test this for BG2EE. SCS and Tactics are not my cup of tea and the difficulty slider isn't exactly the best way to increase difficulty. I could handle Ascension for the most part on Hardcore so I'm curious about how hard this will make BG2EE.
    @Flashburn
    Currently, my attention is focused on a somewhat different (albeit related) project. I should finish that in a couple of days, and then I'd be happy to use your help and feedback regarding HoF emu in BG2EE :)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I would be interested to see the playthrough of a No-Reload SCS HoF game.
    @GemHound

As stated above, I believe I can do BGEE + BGEE:SoA solo under these conditions. No, it's not easy at all, but certainly doable: in fact, it's just an extreme exercise in detailed pre-planning (AKA heavy meta-gaming). ToB I'm unsure of, though. We'll see how it progresses, anyway.

Also, the video won't include travel/shopping/other non-essential parts of the playthrough. I've recorded entire runs in the past, and I won't make that mistake again -- editing those huge files is a real pain, too much time/effort investment even for my taste. If that is acceptable, I'll be happy to record and share.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited December 2013
    mlnevese said:

Seconded!

Also, dragons. I think SCS has a feature that buffs dragon HP by 3x or somesuch. So, that's 300% HP, plus all the stuff the emulator will add. Now, I'm not a masochist, but I'm practically drooling at the mouth right now. I just hope the BG2 version will be released very soon (BG1 is a nice game, but I think most of us prefer the 2nd one due to its size, complexity, and high levels).

HoF mode in IWD2 added an insane amount of replay value to the game for me.

Kudos to @Tisamon for making this mod!
    edited December 2013
    To whomever it may concern, an update.

The mod will probably be finished and released over the course of this weekend. Why did such a primitive mod take so long to make? The sheer quantitative scope of it is to blame. BGEE has more than 2000 CRE entries, while BG2EE can boast more than 4500. The ea identifiers in most of those are set in quite an inconsistent manner, most notably, with your own summons, polymorphs, and potential NPC allies designated as enemies. During the playtest, all sorts of nasty errors pop up, such as your allies suddenly having insane statistics under certain conditions, or several common monsters not getting any HoF treatment at all. These errors aren't always easily corrected, sometimes one has to think of a workaround. In short, it was a time-consuming task. Luckily, I'm almost finished.
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    HOF is a lot more brutal than your changes...