Skip to content

Heart of Fury mode emulator for BGEE/BG2EE: testers needed

13»

Comments

• RegirsRegirs Member Posts: 1
    Would be veryy keen on playing/testing this mode please send me files if you can!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    What's the status of this mod for BG2 EE?
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    Oh, it's actually already working for BG2EE :) However, it's not very thorough, and some creature entries are skipped. For consitent experience's sake, it's not recommended to install the mod for BG2EE (e. g., if your party first encounters a non-buffed dragon, then, two minutes later, a HoF-buffed dragon, the challenge spike will be extremely steep and unpleasant). I definitely intend to make a BG2EE version of this mod, just not in the very near future -- too many things to take care of in real life, sorry.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    @Tisamon

Necroing thread in 3... 2... 1...

ARISE!!!!

Aaaaanyway, what's the ETA on this thing? I've been looking forward to it for ages! :D
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar It's actually in the game from the last patch.
    @FinneousPJ

1.3 has HoF mode? :confused:
    @TvrtkoSvrdlar BG2EE has Nightmare Mode, yes.
    Haven't played much of 1.3, as RL keeps getting in the way.

Oh well, there's always Christmas! :D
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Just thought I would add that the reason the mod doesn't work on BG:EE seems to be the fact that the TP2 is checking for the existence of "BGEE.exe" and that file doesn't exist. I just changed it to check for "CHITIN.KEY" and it installed just fine.
    edited September 2015

@TvrtkoSvrdlar BG2EE has Nightmare Mode, yes.

Sorry, what? BG2EE 1.3.2064 doesn't have any "Nightmare Mode". It will get probably get the equivalent of HoF the moment Siege of Dragonspear is released.
    Post edited by Tisamon on
    First of all, the tone of your reply is rude and offensive. I warmly suggest you keep your unwarranted aggression under control, or one of the moderators will help you in this respect.

Secondly, stop spreading false information, please. Claiming that BG2EE actually has a Nightmare Mode is a gross exaggeration. It's: (a) not an in-game option; (b) not an exact copy of IWD's HoF mode; (c) an untested alpha feature that currently, among other things, applies the bonuses to your allies. It _sort of_ works, but I cannot really recommend it to anyone in its current state.
    Gotural
    @Tisamon It's isn't though. You clearly are being offensive with threats.

a) I didn't say it was.
    b) See above
    c) There is a work around

I am not asking you to recommend it. This isn't about you.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    As best I can see, "Nightmare Mode" does nothing in the current retail version—at least on the creatures I spawn via the console.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Flaming is strictly against forum rules. Please stop now.

This is just a friendly reminder for everyone to read the site rules.
    Troodon80JuliusBorisovGotural
    @Troodon80
    Interesting. I've actually seen elminster's post a while back, and dabbled with the so-called Nightmare Mode for a short while. I was under an impression it does buff the creatures, but very erratically so. Anyway, in its current state it's very far from perfect.
    It does work but it has a few quirks. I have finished SoA on NM and it is completely playable and fine.
    I strongly disagree, unless one's definition of 'playable and fine' is very, erm, unassuming. It doesn't crash the game, that's for sure. But it doesn't work as intended, either.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited September 2015

It does work but it has a few quirks.

After some more testing, it turns out it does work, more or less.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
    @Tisamon Like I said I have finished the game using it. Hence it is very much playable and fine.

@Tisamon Like I said I have finished the game using it. Hence it is very much playable and fine.

I do not doubt you have finished the game using it. However, that only proves it's indeed 'very much playable and fine' by your personal criteria. You obviously are very tolerant towards erratic/unstable game modifications (you won't deny Nightmare Mode in its current form _is_ erratic/unstable, and requires workarounds to be functional, I hope?). There's nothing wrong with that, of course, it's just not an universally accepted view.
    I don't think you get to decide the universally accepted view. I wouldn't call it unstable or erratic either. If anything it's too consistent ;)

I don't think you get to decide the universally accepted view. I wouldn't call it unstable or erratic either. If anything it's too consistent ;)

I don't get to decide that the majority of players like their game modes fully functional (as opposed to what we have in this particular case)? Oh, no need to answer, this discussion is going nowhere anyway. I just hope you enjoy another run with perfectly logical, playable and fine HoF-enhanced party members and summoned creatures ;) Have fun!
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Summoned creatures are affected by HoF mode in the original IWD incarnation, so I really don't see a problem, there. Honestly, summoned creatures (with a couple notable exceptions) are pretty terrible in the base game already, and if they didn't get some kind of boost in HoF mode, they'd be utterly worthless. I mean, damage spells aren't as relatively powerful in HoF due to massively inflated HP totals, but they still actually do what they say on the tin. Unbuffed summons would die faster than it takes to cast the spell.

The party members being affected is an issue, but since I generally either play solo or pregenerate a multiplayer party, I don't mind that. I've played with Nightmare Mode in BG2EE, and it appears to do exactly what it is supposed to, and hasn't caused any major issues. I have taken the liberty to CTRL-Y a couple of times during scripted NPC-vs-NPC fights (like catfight in the Copper Coronet) but I use the console pretty liberally anyways, having played these games for well over a decade. Not sure I could deal with traversing cleared maps without CTRL-J anymore.
    FinneousPJ

Summoned creatures are affected by HoF mode in the original IWD incarnation, so I really don't see a problem, there.

That's true to an extent. HoF buffing the summons was one of the main flaws of the mode in IWD. Basically, the summoning-capable characters were having a much, much easier time at it than anyone else. One of the main goals of this BGEE mod was to avoid the same unfortunate design decision (I've added an option of a semi-HoF buff for summons for the purists, though).

• Ray22Ray22 Member Posts: 2
    @Tisamon

I really liked your mod and decided to install it in my IWDEE game.

I edited the .tp2 file (mostly adding the IWD summons, and a few other changes), and everything seems to work fine.

I think it would be a good idea if you could make an IWDEE version of your mod, since the HoF of the original game is buggy, and makes summons too powerful (I could send you my .tp2 if you want).

Btw, the only thing that you have to be careful, is to exclude in the +1 ApR component of the mod, any creatures that have already 4.5 or 5 ApR. There is a cap of a max 5 ApR in the game, and if you exceed it the ApR of the modified creatures are set then to 0.5 ApR.

IWD has a few creatures with more than 4 ApR, I am sure BG2 has a few as well (not sure about BG1 though).

(You can spot easily any such issues by checking the additional creatures info in EEKeeper.)