Skip to content

Best Stronghold

2»

Comments

• CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    What adventurer doesn't want a castle to call their home?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Not voting as you have not included the Pyramid...
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    De'Arnise keep.. Lord title -and- you get a castle, Id take that one any day.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Hands down.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the items you can get from the mage stronghold are awesome, but the cleric one is a strong second, because again on the items you can get
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    The coolest stronghold is fighters back when I used to play. The problem is right now I can't seem to defeat Torgal the end boss. I never had this much trouble with him but now he's impossible. Does anyone know if we've done everything else, will I fail the nalia quest If I leave and come back? I want to get a few levels.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    DrEast said:

Ooooohhh I just made a ranger (justifier kit from divine remix)

Wait, DR is updated? Nobody told me!
    This was vanilla. but i think it is out. it was out for bgee so i assume it would also work for bg2ee... but then again the only thing i know how to do on a computer is write on a forum and play baldur's gate
  • bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
    DKnight said:

The coolest stronghold is fighters back when I used to play. The problem is right now I can't seem to defeat Torgal the end boss. I never had this much trouble with him but now he's impossible. Does anyone know if we've done everything else, will I fail the nalia quest If I leave and come back? I want to get a few levels.

choke em in the doorway, and/or throw some entangle down, hopefully 1 or 2 get caught.

I did the keep quest first up on this playthrough with no worries (choked em in the doorway). But I have a half-orc kensai with slots on flail and dual. So I chewed em up. Maybe try opening the door, send down some cloudkill, close door. The only problem is that your timing would have to be on, wouldn't want them regenerating too much haha

As far as coming back later, I'm pretty sure you can. Just set a save aside and try it out ;)
  • GawdzillaGawdzilla Member Posts: 86
    My first full play through was as a Bard & I loved all the stuff that happens at the theatre. Playing other character classes later, when I got to the strongholds I'd think "cool! but not as awesome as the bard's". So, that has to be my vote.

Second, the Mage's planar sphere. The magelings working for me were hilarious.

Currently I'm playing the thief stronghold for the first time. So far it's all right, but having to drop by every 5 days to pay the quota master is ridiculous..
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Gawdzilla said:

Currently I'm playing the thief stronghold for the first time. So far it's all right, but having to drop by every 5 days to pay the quota master is ridiculous..

Yeah - the funny thing is, the thief stronghold always seemed to me to be the one that most looked like having a steady job! ;-)
  • nietzschelivesnietzschelives Member Posts: 36
    For RP reasons, maybe the fighter stronghold. But the Planar Sphere actually gives you real rewards for doing it (unique items), and having the Sphere is just awesome to me. I really wish I could use it though...

Honorable mention to the bard stronghold. I also liked the thieves guild, though I have no memory of paying a quota master and the questline is terrible. I just liked the idea of managing a group of thieves for massive profit.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Shadow Thief, by and far. The pay-out is better, and that's not compensated with boring magical items either that aren't worth much gold. Failing that, De'Arnise is the second best stronghold to have, but only if you milk it out quickly before doing favors to raise the happiness of the people.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I picked the temple of Talos, purely because you get to be a sadistic evil a-hole. Something this game has always lacked content for imo.
    For the full package stronghold though, I pick the Five Flagons Inn.
  • bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
    what's so great about the inn....
    Everything!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I want to play an evil Blade, does the Five Flagons quest provide opportunities for cynical evilness? Not sure I can see a selfish NE charname putting on a happy-clappy show...
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited December 2013
    I love the playhouse. I like the fact that when you go back there throughout the game there's a new thing for you to deal with, it really adds some interest to the whole 'resting' thing and it runs throughout the game, which is great .
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    I really enjoyed the Theater. For several reason:

1) If your stats are high enough, you have the satisfaction of composing your own music and script for arguably one of the best performances the city has ever seen.

2) It's actually very hard to accomplish it all by yourself. You have to be very charismatic and intelligent in order to take over the responsibilities as a bard. Otherwise you are not a bard, you are a manager of the theater.

3) Achieving perfection by yourself is more difficult than in other strongholds. I mean, I'm already high level and fighting is easy. With Druid Grove the most challenging part (also, the most rewarding) is getting to 14th level. The fight itself isn't hard. Mage's Sphere is really up to your choice. Want to piss off the Cowled Wizards? Have your apprentices killed. Want them to graduate? Be careful with the tasks. Ranger I haven't played, fighter poses no challenge at all.

Only thing that comes closest is the paladin and that's only because of the last quest. Now THAT is a final quest/reward. Too bad you were going to do it anyway, right? In many cases sooner even.

But the theater? Not only you have to have high charisma and intelligence scores, but when you get on stage and you have to perform the act yourself and you suddenly realize that you should have written the words from the rehersal - and not 'more or less' since the possible answers often differ with one-two words only - that's when you realize it's harder than fighting.

Unless you go to the magical Internet and google the correct answers, of course.
    Or you could just memorize them.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    jackjack said:

Or you could just memorize them.

I tried that but I honestly thought the possible answers will be more different, so I remembered few first words and basic idea of the rest. And then I saw that the two are almost the same, with one or two words different. Yuck.
    Yeah that does make it tricky.
  • XeZeLXeZeL Member Posts: 13
    Almost always play some form of mage (sorcerer hoooo!) so my vote is rather biased, but the sphere does offer satisfying quests (and one very important item!).

My one gripe would be that after I took Teos advice regarding the solmatic (eh spelling) knights, the quest regarding dealing with them wouldn't complete. :(

(However it turns out that doesn't get in the way of the rest of the quests there, so no harm done.)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Surprised at the results, in the past the bard stronghold has usually been viewed as the superior option as far back as I can remember. I wonder if this is skewed by bard not being a very popular class and people playing without multi stronghold mods enabled.