Skip to content

Anything to do with all of my money?

I'm in chapter 5, just milling around competing side quests and was wondering if there is going to be anything to do with all of my money. I've accumulated around 100k gold so selling loot has started to feel pointless. Should I stock up on +1 and +2 ammo? Buy all of the wands I find?

Comments

• Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    There really is more money than you need in the game. If you've got all the non-generic useful equipment you want (Ribald, Trademeet, etc), then I guess you could buy every possible spell scroll you can find for your mage(s).
  • benfinkelbenfinkel Member Posts: 11
    Thought about the scrolls for Dynaheir. Is there a good list online somewhere of the non generic equipment you mentioned?
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    Oh whoops, I spaced out and assumed you were talking BG2EE, not BG1EE. I don't recall there being much to do with money in BG1 either.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Oh, this is BG1, not BG2. Xei_Win_Toh assumed you were playing the sequel.

BG1 is known to provide way too much gold for what you can conceivably purchase. Have you swung by High Hedge? Plenty of scrolls there, as well as some expensive items you may not have grabbed, such as robes of the archmagi and a cursed ring that's actually really powerful.

Barring that, yeah, get all the good wands and ammo.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I am nearing the end of the game, having played through TotSC. I have about 170k gold, and I didn't make much of an effort to save up gold. Even sold to the same merchants over and over because I just didn't care anymore.

There's just more gold than you'll ever need. I highly recommend buying wands, scrolls and potions and just going all out in the final part of the game, even when it's not necessary. Quite fun.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited July 2014
    I have never found it a mistake to spend excess money to recharge wands. For those who don't know how, sell (usually to Thalantyr), then re-buy. Voila! 100 charges. For a price.
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    First of all, you should buy all available spells for all mages in your party (high hedge and sorcerous sundries). Then, you should buy shadow armor from beregost armory (best leather for leather wearing people). Buy for your mage the archmagi robes. Visit the inn of Ulgoth beard, it has a ton of useful, magical items, you should buy them all. Buy the items "of Kazgaroth", in High Hedge. And if all these shopping stops do not deplete your capital, i do not know what else will...
    When you are buying all those scrolls, buy a Potion of Genius to go with. Quaff before memorizing. Do it at the store or just outside. Then go see if you can still buy the 1-2 scrolls you missed memorizing again.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Porsche.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    There is a special magical two-handed sword you can get in Baldur's Gate somewhere that takes away some of your gold with each successful hit. It is a really nice sword and it does huge damage.
    Gold Digger +1

Special:
    --> Consumes 10 gold per successful hit.

THAC0: +1
    Damage: 1d10+4 (slashing)
    Speed Factor: 9
    Proficiency Type: Two-Handed Sword
    Type: Two-handed
    Requires: 14 Strength

Weight: 15

Gold Digger +1

Special:

Shame you can't drop gold like items. Then you could put it down before the battle and pick it up later without losing it.
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    When you visit an inn, you can rent the most expensive room!

Otherwise... exploding arrows are neat and costly, or you can pretend your charname is saving up for early retirement.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Ooh, buy the Arrow of Death! Waste it on Sarevok as an insult!

Or, you could dualclass and become a venture capitalist! Invest 30k gold so Taerom can hire a couple journeymen that arent fat and lazy, maybe even buy Unshees spider infested craphole and build another forge... he could pay you back in, oh, 20 years?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    meagloth said:

Gold Digger +1

Special:

Shame you can't drop gold like items. Then you could put it down before the battle and pick it up later without losing it.
    True but you'd have to hit 100 times to lose 1000 gold. I mean if the damage was really that important to you, and you weren't sure of where there were other weapons you could use, then I suppose the cost isn't that bad.
    elminster said:

meagloth said:

Gold Digger +1

Special:

True but you'd have to hit 100 times to lose 1000 gold. I mean if the damage was really that important to you, and you weren't sure of where there were other weapons you could use, then I suppose the cost isn't that bad.
    I know, but I like cheese regardless.
    Look at it this way.
    If the nature of the weapon was the other way around, and it gave you an OPTION after each hit to pay 10GP for an extra 3 points damage, at this point in the game how many of us would opt to not pay??

Odd how it makes the weapon seem more worth it, isn't it?
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Donate it to my poverty Assassin. . .
  • NokkenbuerNokkenbuer Member Posts: 146
    At the end of my playthrough of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, I had accumulated over 352,000 gold pieces and without anything to do with them. To be honest, acquiring gold in the first game is extraordinarily easy, especially if you're a compulsive completionist like me. In the end, gold is not very useful throughout the first game, especially near the end. The most viable purchases you can make are spell scrolls, wands, potions, and enchanted ammunition. Aside from that, there aren't many magical equipment or unique items you can purchase, aside from a very select few.

You'll have much more use for gold in the second game, but for the first one, it only really matters if you feel like you should be bullshit wealthy for roleplaying/egotistical reasons.
    I'll say again, as gold starts to mount up, go ahead and use those wands & other charged items liberally, then take them to a vendor. Sell & re-buy to get them fully recharged, rinse and repeat.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    If you're playing a good character you could always donate the money. Or if you're playing an evil and particularly cruel character you could always go into the slums and disintegrate money (using console to delete it) in front of all those peasants and beggars. They can only watch as you destroy more money than they'll ever make.

Like others suggested you could buy all the best gear, numerous potions and ammo, but I've found that makes the game too easy. You're prepared for just about every situation and nothing really challenges you.

Of course on your first playthrough, you need all the help you can get.
    There is a tree just off the west side of the Lion's Way, east of Candlekeep. It has a hidden hollow in it. You could buy some gems or magic items and stash them there for the next generation of young adventurers.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    You can send it on my bank account. I can send you the details in private:)
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Money = good excuse to kill everyone then go to the temple to ensure everyone thinks your a nice kinda gnome...

Nashkel is a barren wasteland of dead people near the end game... I'm surprised no one in Amn realises or comments on it. In fact when I woke up in a dungeon, I thought it was about my shannanigans in Nashkel, not some looney wondering about my ancestry again...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Buy a lot of really good potions (the sorcerous sundries or high hedge would be your best bets for this). You won't make much of a dent to that amount but you'll at least get something out of it :)
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I would love to know what Irenicus did with all the dough he gets from me. . . probably builds another wing on the Chateu.

@demented‌ made me laugh. Lets all go to the slums, disintegrate our money then eat a lavish four course meal in front of the dirty little peasants to the song 'Can't touch this'.