Skip to content

Wings Version 0.91b

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2015
    Lathlaer said:

Your work looks fantastic - I haven't installed it because I want to see it all at once when it's finished but still, from your screenshots and teasers, it might as well be one of the best mods around when it comes to the writing and overall quality.

I have two questions.

1) What did you use to make the familiar paperdoll? It is a phoenix, right? Did you make one yourself or did you use something from existing game files and modified it a little?

It's just a baby dragon/wycern familiar that's been recolored. The inventory icon is just a gem that he rests inside.
    Lathlaer said:

2) It might be too early for that question, but still: it's obvious that you try to take into consideration many variables and many NPC interactions. I would like to know what would be, in your opinion, the optimal party setup if the only criteria would be to get as much fun and content from this mod as possible? From what I can see here it might be male char romancing Aerie and having Minsc and Imoen in the party, am I correct? It might be also a good idea to take Neera?

Right now, she has the most interaction with Imoen, followed by Neera, and I'm obviously planning more with Minsc. I've also had some ideas for Jan to help Aerie explore her gnomish connection side, which I hope will be fun.

In theory, it should be possible to romance Aerie right until the end, then end the romance with her. She'll then later ask if you can still be friends, and you'll get a bit more banter on her friendship path. But I've not tried that myself. But a friendship for females and characters who choose not to romance Aerie for whatever reason is the new addition. Apart from a few more talks at the beginning, the romance I haven't touched.
    Sorry I've been procrasticating so much over this. Although actually I've been absorbed in writing original fiction and other projects.

As far as Aerie's main quest goes, I'm afraid I really haven't gotten much further in it. I've tried quite a few things, but so far they haven't really worked to my satisfaction.

So basically, it's back to where it was several updates ago. Stranger approaches Aerie and tells her that slavers have returned to the slums. Go there and encounter some, including Amra, who Aerie recognises and later explains was in the raiding party that captured her originally. She tells you about Praxis, who was in charge of processing new slaves (in other words, torturing and breaking them). She spent quite a bit of time with him while the slavers arranged for her auction. Obviously the rest of the quest has to be about tracking and Aerie defeating Praxis, but I haven't figured out all of the steps.

Also there's a banter with Nalia in the current that's actually just an artefact from an earlier idea, so just ignore it. I'll replace with something else at some point.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AstharielAsthariel Member Posts: 6
    Anything?
    edited September 2015
    Sorry, things came up and I've been able to work on this very much at all I'm afraid. In between the string of weddings I have to go to, constantly having to babysit, I've always been writing some of my own original fiction, and I've gotten money for that, so I really want to improve it and write more... and I'm not very good and writing codes and scripts and things anyway.

So yeah, I don't know if I'll be able to find time to finish this. I'll see, but if anyone else wants to try they're welcome. You can contact me if you want all the ideas I had. Probably best to do so via E-Mail or Tumblr as I'm logged in there more often than anywhere else (all the links are at the top of my webpage).
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    I do hope this mod gets finished someday; you're a heck of a writer, refreshing to see well characterized mod dialog written by someone who's a skillful writer.
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    Hi Coutelier. I am adding this mod to BiG World Setup (Windows tool for automating Infinity Engine mod installation). This will give it a wider audience and might inspire other modders to help you complete it.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    Is this Enhanced Edition only btw, or can it be installed on a vanilla BG2 engine setup?
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    It appears to have been coded and tested with BG2EE only.
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    Hello,

I've tried this mod in my current playthrough and it worked without any issues. The only thing I've noticed is that at some point, Ammale's heart disappeared from Aerie's inventory. It must have happened either upon her death or somehow during the transition to ToB(?). I've noticed it after she died in the ToB part of the game and don't have many earlier saves to compare the situation to and try to narrow it down, unfortunately.

Also, I've noticed a couple typos and made screenshots to show which conversations those are:

Screenshot 1 - I think you meant "causes no harm to you"

Screenshot 2 - "=" in Faenya-Dail and "-" in "no one"

Screenshot 3 - I think you meant "could have warned"? Well, that sentence can be structured in many other ways

From the screenshots you can see that I'm not a fan of her new portrait colours, so I reverted to the default Aerie portrait. Other than that, I've enjoyed the mod's content and that's saying much, because I'm really picky when it comes to writing, dialogues, etc. :+)

I liked that Aerie doesn't become this super-special-snowflake all of a sudden with 1000 interjections everywhere, taking over conversations with NPCs etc., like many such mods do. This mod has the right balance to its content, both in regards to the amount of new stuff it adds and the pacing of everything. The conversations aren't too short or too long, are well written and stay true to how Aerie is (and how she develops). All in all, an enjoyable frienship path for CHARNAME and Aerie.

Good job!
    Hello everyone.

Just to let you know, if you want to contact or ask me about anything, it's best to message me via my Tumblr, just because I check that more often than most other things and there's an app on my iPad that notifies me. Where it says 'Ask me Anything' you can use that to just send a message.

Or can just e-mail I guess: jc@coutelier.org.uk
  • Blind_VisionaryBlind_Visionary Member Posts: 203
    edited November 2016
    I'm not sure if it is this mod, but I have a possible bug report. I encountered an avariel posing as a deva and bilking citizens of money in Imnesvale. Aerie reacted to the encounter. But at the end of the dialog, after she said "OOOH" in frustration, she apparently disappeared from the party. No exit dialog. Just gone as if she were chunked. I can't fathom an RP reason why this would have happened, especially without her saying anything. I have a other mods installed, so possibly there's a conflict.... Weidu log here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/822528/#Comment_822528

Edit: I replayed the encounter (which goes against my nature as a no-reload player). I discovered that the problem was that I had most of my party invisible. (Abundance of caution while traveling = no-reloader lives to see another day). So when Aerie left the party, she was still invisible. And I couldn't tell where she had gone. I might have found her again after resting for 24 hours, but odds are low that I would have figured that out without a reload.

If you ever do another version of this, perhaps include some code to make her say something to the party before taking off, or otherwise make herself visible so that cautious players like me won't lose her. Thanks!
  • zwadekzwadek Member Posts: 156
    @Coutelier I've met fake deva in Imnesvale and obtained familliar for Aerie. I've done slavers quests in Slums, but I don't see the story progressing. When I should met this mysterious stranger talking about slavers return? what are conditions for him to appear?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    What's this? A banter pack for another one of my favorite NPCs? Oh yes.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i may not want too get my hopes up @ThacoBell. this mod has pretty much been dead for awhile and is from what i heard rather buggy and there are no plans to fix it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @megamike15 Thread Necromancy strikes again!
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    @Coutelier: The link in the OP is broken.
  • AnprionsaAnprionsa Member Posts: 106
    @Coutelier

Are you still working on this? Any dependencies I need to know about or conflicts? Thanks!
    thred necromancy i know but i just wanna say i did enjoy what was there in this mod. it does help make aerie better with her first 3 talks as it flows better into the romance talks as opposed to vanilla where she just goes straight to the crying about her wings. now we get to know her abit before the romance starts which is how i think it should be. and the small encounter was also fun and nice development for her.

i really wish this mod was finished tho. aerie could have really used her own quest and that minsc quest idea sounded interesting.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    When I read the thread title I thought it added wings to the game. :)

I really like the concept and coverage of this mod. Maybe with the OP's permission I may ask to finish it on their behalf once I have some more moding experience done. I've wanted to do some non-original NPC work when I'm all set with my own five anyway.
    Skitia wrote: »
    When I read the thread title I thought it added wings to the game. :)

I really like the concept and coverage of this mod. Maybe with the OP's permission I may ask to finish it on their behalf once I have some more moding experience done. I've wanted to do some non-original NPC work when I'm all set with my own five anyway.

that could be cool. as the mod has been dead for like 3 years and the op is most likely not gonna do anything with it as they have moved on from modding.

if you got permission from @Coutelier to finish up the mod. you know make that slaver quest that was planned and the small minsc quest and of course have the friendship go into tob that would be grand.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Anything that enhances Aerie is very welcome to me!
  • SinaheribSinaherib Member Posts: 38
    It will be so cool if Wings are finished! Aerie is one favourite characters in BG2.
    Their tumblr hasn't seen any activity since December of last year, so it may be a while before I get a response, sadly.
    edited April 2019
    Coutelier wrote: »
    Sorry for a late reply. Anyone who wants to carry on with this mod or another is more than welcome to. I would say the reason it never got finished is that I had many ideas, some of which were too ambitious for my modding skills and the time and resources I had (unlike my Tenya for BG1 mod which is simpler and more focused).

Feel free to PM me those ideas! I will happily look into finishing it. I'm still a beginner in modding myself but it'd still be nice to know them.

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    So,
    should I install this mod or does it clash conceptually with the dialogues added by other mods, like IEP and so on ?
    I don't think it clashes. I've not yet restarted development to fully look over every line yet, mind.