Skip to content

[Known, #7526] [CORE] - Permanent Maze effect

darthwigglesdarthwiggles Member Posts: 7
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
In my unmodded BGII:EE playthrough, Viconia got mazed in the planar sphere, and several hours later (both in-game and actual) she's still there. In the maze, that is. I really don't think the Maze spell is supposed to work that way.

I don't really have a good prior save to go to, and I'm stuck in the sphere for the duration of this quest. Is there a way to dispel the effect? I know I can probably use a scroll of freedom, but I'm not sure how I would get something like that.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm.. are you positive, that she was hit by a Maze spell and not by an Imprisonment spell? .. because like you said.. if it was a Maze spell, then this would be really odd.

Perhaps you could try to use the console to get a Freedom scroll..
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("SCRL9Z") or just C:CreateItem("SCRL9Z")
  • darthwigglesdarthwiggles Member Posts: 7
    Definitely Maze - on her character screen, she is showing the status "maze," and her portrait is still there. I'm not sure exactly which enemy, but it was one of the halflings in the first area of the planar sphere. I don't think it was a trap.

I've been trying really hard to not use cheats, since I have a terrible habit of continuing to rely on them once I start using them. In fact, this is my first-ever playthrough without them. It doesn't sound like I have much of a choice, though. With the Enhanced Edition, is there anything special I need to do to enable them?
    It was the easiest difficulty, and as far as I recall the only buff Viconia had was her 19 strength belt. Here's m'save too, with her still mazed.
    I do have an auto-save from not too long previously. It shouldn't be too much of a burden to play through the first part of the sphere again. From what it sounds like, this is just some sort of freak occurrence, so I probably don't have to worry about it happening again.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I had a look at it. She does seem to be rather stuck in that maze... After playing around a bit with the spells I could not make it happen again though. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, looking at the save file in EEkeeper it appears as though Viconia is missing some of the affects associated with the maze spell, probably one of these missing affects is the timer that should release her once the duration expires. I want to say that her MR may have caused something screwy to happen but that would be just speculation.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    I had the exact same thing happen to three of my characters almost at the same time. The last one to go in came out minutes later, but the first two to go in were still in after 15 minutes of waiting.

I eventually cheated them out. It was also the Maze affect according to their profile pages.
    I did try to wait it out for a while. After that didn't work, I went back to an autosave, since my last quicksave was after the mazing had already happened.
  • kurto01kurto01 Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to me but to minsc so you don't think their is a way to fix it I have the I pad version so I don't know how to use the console commands to cheat if any one knows how I can cheat for a freedom scroll ide love to know. Thanks
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @kurto01: There is no way to enable the console on the iPad: The option to turn on the console (baldur.ini) and the key command to do so (ctrl-space) simply isn't in the game. I can't say as I've tried to modify the baldur.ini file in the installation (I suspect the iPad's jail will keep me from modifying that file) to allow the console, but I still wouldn't know how I'd get the console to come up.

Your best best is:

1) If you have the Windows/Mac version of the game use a program like iFunBox to download the save to your Desktop, modify it there, and load it back to your iPad.

2) If you do NOT have a desktop version of the game, use iFunBox to get your save and then upload it here for someone to hopefully fix for you. The mods and other helpers on the forum here are usually pretty good about fixing a saved game for you.

@Gate70: Are you suggesting in this case where the character is perma-mazed that Sleeping twice will fix the issue? Or is that only on a specific condition you've managed to be able to re-produce?

At this point, folks, we're probably dealing with this as a "one off" issue...unless we can narrow down a reproducible way to make this happen.

Anyone tried getting more than one character Mazed in one fight and seeing if it's always the first character (or all but the last character) that can get out? If that's the case my guess would be the timer is being lost for all but the last mazed character.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Illydth said:

@kurto01: There is no way to enable the console on the iPad: The option to turn on the console (baldur.ini) and the key command to do so (ctrl-space) simply isn't in the game. I can't say as I've tried to modify the baldur.ini file in the installation (I suspect the iPad's jail will keep me from modifying that file) to allow the console, but I still wouldn't know how I'd get the console to come up.

Your best best is:

1) If you have the Windows/Mac version of the game use a program like iFunBox to download the save to your Desktop, modify it there, and load it back to your iPad.

2) If you do NOT have a desktop version of the game, use iFunBox to get your save and then upload it here for someone to hopefully fix for you. The mods and other helpers on the forum here are usually pretty good about fixing a saved game for you.

Gate70: Are you suggesting in this case where the character is perma-mazed that Sleeping twice will fix the issue? Or is that only on a specific condition you've managed to be able to re-produce?

At this point, folks, we're probably dealing with this as a "one off" issue...unless we can narrow down a reproducible way to make this happen.

Anyone tried getting more than one character Mazed in one fight and seeing if it's always the first character (or all but the last character) that can get out? If that's the case my guess would be the timer is being lost for all but the last mazed character.

I can fix the save game if you'd like to.
    @Illydth there was another thread about this where someone said that it probably was because of the MR (IIRC it was @Troodon80)
    Still, it's worth looking at, I'll try with mazing Viconia (high innate MR) with Neera and I'll tell.
  • T0pelT0pel Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if this is relevant, but in Black pits 2 when fighting against the demi lich twins, they do cast imprisonment (at least the console says so) and when the character is imprisoned, it looks as if he was mazed - you can still see their character with maze icon and in the Record the description also says Mazed
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    T0pel said:

Not sure if this is relevant, but in Black pits 2 when fighting against the demi lich twins, they do cast imprisonment (at least the console says so) and when the character is imprisoned, it looks as if he was mazed - you can still see their character with maze icon and in the Record the description also says Mazed

This is because perma-death isn't enabled in the black pits from what I played.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Gate70 said:

I'm tempted to say the spell has some sort of random element, e.g. the duration is variable depending on both the intelligence of the subject and on a die roll.

You're correct about that. The duration of the spell's effect is random based on the target's Intelligence score (a higher intelligence results in a shorter duration, generally speaking). It certainly shouldn't be permanent, though.
  • wateverwatever Member Posts: 4
    I'm sorry to revive an old thread but I figured it was better than starting a new one on the same bug.

Whenever one of my partymembers gets mazed, they get stuck forever. I am unable to select them on the right bar (icon just changes to the walk to icon).
    I'm guessing it is the same bug as described above?

I am unable to save the game as "I have no full control on every party member" or something similar. Therefore I can not edit anything in EEkeeper.

It gets tedious having to re-start fights over and over again hoping the Maze spell will not be used.
    Is there any other fix for this, or will this be adressed any time soon?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited July 2014
    Can you zip & attach a save just prior to this problem @watever‌ and describe what you then do to end up mazed. I don't think we ever got to the bottom of why it happened.

Do you have any mods installed, what platform (pc, mac, etc.) and version (beamdog, Steam) and so on. The more information you can provide the more likely something can be done about it.
    Thanks

edit, & is the difficulty slider on the left-most setting? If it is, please could you try bumping it up a notch and seeing if that helps (issue number for that is 7526).
  • wateverwatever Member Posts: 4
    I'm afraid I no longer have a save before the two fights where the problem occurred.

If memory serves... I think it was at the Cowled Wizard fight in the Planar Sphere, and the most recent one was the Lich in the Crooked Inn hidden tomb.

I managed to get past those two fights without the spell being cast so.. the Quick Save file I had before the fight has been overridden I fear.

If I do happen to have the problem again, I'll attach a save file to this thread so you can further investigate should you wish to do.

As for the mods I have installed:

Banter Packs
    IEP Extended Banters
    Unfinished Business
    Wheels of Prophecy
    BG2 Tweak Pack
    BPSeries AI Scripts

However, I do seem to remember having this problem before, like when BG2EE had just come out.
    Back then I had not installed any mods at all so I'm not sure if it's the mods that are causing this problem. Not sure, though...

The difficulty is on easiest.
    As per your request, if I have this problem again, I'll try and put it a notch higher and see what it gives.

Thank you.
  • oktaworysoktaworys Member Posts: 2
    in bbee 2 docks thieves guild mazze trap traped my dorn and hexxat permanently. 4h in real life. fatigued txt for dorn and hexxat was popping out every minute or so.
    i love that game anyway...but bodhi quest bugs need to be fixed. and i am playing on ipad. find it so pleasent in a unique way. bb1 ee patch is awesome if you play on ipad..gonna start some nasty character and play it through all BB. now...how to play it this time?.....Muuhahahahahahahahaha

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Issue is already Tagged with a bug report number so at some point it will be in queue for fixing, whether that's at the next patch or after I have no idea...however, have faith, it's a known bug.