Skip to content

Elminster in BG1:EE is (easily) killable

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
edited December 2013 in Not An Issue
Elminster should be rank S, extra epic legendary wizard, ten times more powerfull then Drizzt...

Interestingly, some of the less powerful persons in BG:EE and BG2:EE are set as immortal and poor Elminster is so easy to kill and even nor prevent.

He shoud be set as immortal or at least get his spellbook from BG2 ( he is pretty tough in BG2 ).
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Not really a bug so much as a feature request. He does possess the most powerful 2nd level spell though.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    @Tresset
    Elminster is one of the most powerful people from whole realms.
    He should be able kill CHARNAME by one hand movement.
    We can kill him with like poor peasant and you dont call that bug?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    ctrl y

Elminwho?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Well at least he has spells now...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Yes, BUT you can kill Elminster only metagaming ;)
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    edited December 2013
    By the time of the events of ToB, CHARNAME is already one of the most powerful people in the realms. IIRC Elminster is a level 29 wizard in 2ed ADnD. With the xp cap removed i easily equalled his level by the start of ToB and my companions were also around that level. There is no reason why CHARNAME can't kill Elminster and Elminster admits in ToB outside Sendai's lair that he does not dare fight you because he may not win a confrontation with you
    Ryofu said:

IIRC Elminster is a level 29 wizard in 2ed ADnD.

True, now imagine that Elminster vs your party (lvl 5-10) in BG1...
    Without cheating, you would have practically no chance.

• MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    Of couse he should be unkillable. Those who read Forgotten Realms novels should know a thing or two about what it takes to bring down such spellcasters. Elminster is protected so well it takes ages just to get through his protection spells.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    Edvin said:

Ryofu said:

IIRC Elminster is a level 29 wizard in 2ed ADnD.

True, now imagine that Elminster vs your party (lvl 5-10) in BG1...
    Without cheating, you would have practically no chance.

Oh you are talking about killing him in BG1? yeah then he should be unkillable :p
    @Ryofu
    My mistake, i did not write it clearly enough.
    I changed the topic name.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    edited December 2013
    Well, then you should make Drizzt and Shandalar unkillable as well. As it stands, Drizzt can be killed, for example, solo by level 1 Barbarian with a sling (will take about 150 bullets, given the 5% hit chance). Is that any less outrageous? :)

Look, objectively speaking, for some people killing the pseudo-immortals is an integral part of the fun (not to mention it's the most efficient way to level up solo), so I can't see a real reason to make them all invincible. If their 'killability' really rubs you the wrong way, it is easily remedied with rudimentary modding (just set all of their resistance values to 100% in the respective CRE files).

PS: The EE engine has much more serious built-in/legacy issues, such as fake-talking, for instance. You can basically fake-talk anyone with a blue circle in BGEE/BG2EE (95% of the tough enemies). Does it mean you must do that? Obviously not. The same is true regarding the killable immortals: if you feel it's not to your liking - hey, what's the problem? - just don't do it.
    @Tisamon
    Hey, do not complain me, i dont like unkillable persons too.
    But Beamdog in EE did another pile invincible enemies, so would probably be easier to include also Elminster.

Of course I would prefer if Elminster instead got his strength, but I'm not sure if they will want to do that :-(
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Elminster should be immune to death like in the novels. He can't be killed because he's a mary sue.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not a bug. Post a feature request if you want him to be more wizardy.