Skip to content

#6292 [CORE] - Str bonus to Biting Arrow and Protector of Dryads bow

BagmanBagman Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 6
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. :)

While messing around late in chapter two, slave compound in the slums, I noticed that some Arrows of Biting I had pick-pocketed earlier where receiving a str modifier bonus to damage. After a quick search on the forums I noticed that this was a fixed issue from a while back. Not sure if stealing the item creates a stack with a different item code that wasn't fixed. I don't run any mods or editors so I can't readily check sorry.

Anyways, now my Swashy is wondering if he has wasted his life practicing with longswords when he could of simply stolen some arrows and murdered his way to fortune...

tl:dr Swashbuckler stole some Arrows of Biting, now he can two shot everything that isn't in platemail/has high poison save.

Cheers. Bagman :)
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited December 2013
    @Gate70, that was about slings and throwing daggers, #7152.

Create a new report. I'll add to it when I get a moment, I've found a couple extra items that have a strength bonus as well.
  • BagmanBagman Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 6
    Anything you guys want on my end? I can do screenshots or with a bit of help I am not afraid of trying to find out the item code . :)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Bagman, nothing else is needed. Thank you for the report. :)
  • BagmanBagman Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 6
    No worries. Not sure if this will work as a notification to gate... @Gate70 there was an old post about this issue I found. Specifically from Nov 2012 (bg1:ee obviously) you might be remembering. Anyway it was in the fixed issues forum. I personally can't remember being able to steal Arrows of Biting in bg1:ee. So, also to all who is concerned, it seems to me that perhaps stealing the stack of arrows what is circumventing the fix. Could also be the recent patch though, I am personally not smart enough to work out which it would be. Anyways hope this extra info will help. Cheers,

-Bagman
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    So keep in mind that BG1 Fixes are not BG2 fixes. While the engine is the "same", the game code is vastly different...and I would also guess even the engine is a different code branch for BG1 vs. BG2, so fixes applied to BG1 do not AUTOMATICALLY go into BG2.

Theft of items does NOT create a different opcode than obtaining the same items from killing the mob or buying them from a vendor. I'm pretty sure if you found a stack of these things anywhere else in any other way they'd still apply strength bonus.

There's always the possibility that the bug was marked fixed but due to another change it got "unfixed". That does happen very very rarely in a coding situation such as this...and if they pulled the "this bug is fixed" report from the bug system to report what was fixed in the patch, that's also a possibility as to why BG2 says this is fixed when it's not. Again, that's a very UNLIKELY scenario, but not unheard of.

Anyway, whatever the reason why this is still happening, @Troodon80 has opened an issue on it and it's being tracked (either again or for the first time).

Thanks MUCH for the report @Bagman! :)
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149