Skip to content

Why are people irrationally rude?

queenofamsterdamqueenofamsterdam Member Posts: 16
edited December 2013 in Off-Topic
A few people get offended and rave over the silliest things, by this I mean those few they can take jokes about fictional characters seriously and try to wittily insult you over it or are just flat-out hateful for the silliest reasons. Also, some people have no boundaries, if you are in a romantic relationship only dickish people will tempt you to cheat or do things behind their back because your partner would 'never know.' Why aresome people this way? What's wrong with following the golden rule?
Post edited by queenofamsterdam on

Comments

• RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    Because alot of people think they know what is best for other people. If you feel it is bad advice just ignore them and carry on, nothing else you can do about it except maybe live in isolation in the mountains somewhere :P
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think this calls for...

coolstorybrah
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    You sound like a real piece of work, OP. I bet you're plenty of fun at partiesq
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Get lost stupid pants head.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited December 2013
    As for the first bit, I believe queenofamsterdam is referring to that post where she said something vaguely and jokingly insulting about a character and somebody responded by swapping the character's name for hers. (Or maybe some other incident, but that one springs to mind). To be honest it was pretty uncalled for.

I'm not sure about the second bit about the temptation. It just sounds like you know a bunch of unpleasant people.

I will, however, admit, that on the internet people tend to be irrationally rude.
    I'm a rude not-dude with attitude.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited December 2013
    I'm quite rude about Broccoli...

FOR DAMN NIGH OBVIOUS REASONS ! ! ! !

Sorry for shouting at you... Just a bad day at the office...

THEY SERVED ME... ME ! BROCCOLI !
    I think knowing what Amsterdam is like...

And calling yourself Queen Of Amsterdam is like pinning a big label onto your forehead saying

"I'm looking for trouble and rudeness"

Sorry if this is not what you want to here... Being honest with my thoughts.

@Anduin What's Amsterdam like, then?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    edited December 2013
    I think some posts in this topic are only confirming the OP's point of view. Tone it down, guys. Let's talk about the issue like adults.

On-topic: I can see where the OP's coming from. A lot of people behave like immature assholes, certainly on the internet. It's got a lot to do with growing individualism nowadays, causing growing distance and intolerance between people. Not saying this is the case for everyone, of course, but as far as I've experienced, this is pretty much the case in my environment. It's not always easy to deal with. Yet I always try to stay honest and polite, and I've found that most people reward this with kindness and respect. The ones who don't, I just ignore.

People are also very quick to make (biased) judgements nowadays. That also isn't easy to deal with. For that I'd suggest to just find like-minded friends and ignore the so-called 'haters'. For example: I enjoy watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. As a girl, this might be less 'striking', as the series still is cute and a tad girlish, so people won't look at me strangely. But I can imagine the frustration guys have to go through when they constantly have to explain they just like the show for its animations, story and characters.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Anduin said:

I think knowing what Amsterdam is like...

And calling yourself Queen Of Amsterdam is like pinning a big label onto your forehead saying

"I'm looking for trouble and rudeness"

Sorry if this is not what you want to here... Being honest with my thoughts.

How so? I don't see anything wrong with the OP's username?
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Oops, I ah, may have accidentally inspired this thread. @queenofamsterdam, my apologies if I unintentionally offended you with the Khalid thing. It was meant as a joke, as I assumed the thread was, as in not to seriously offend anyone. My apologies if I'm overapologizing as well, but it's good to be clear on the internet, where obviously,(considering the circumstances), intentions can get somewhat muddled.
  • queenofamsterdamqueenofamsterdam Member Posts: 16
    Lol thanks but I feel like a queenofamsterdam now.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    I'm the king of Hamsterdam (MAJOR bonus points if you get the reference :)... I may even "wire" you some money. probably not but its worth a try)
    Are you a giant space hamster or are you a miniature giant space hamster?
    I'm a miniature giant space hamster ranger, with a big Russian-sounding human as my animal companion.
    Favored Enemy: Beholders
    edited December 2013
    It's an episode on The Wire after the first two seasons.
    edited December 2013
    Yep. They made a "drug dealing area" to prevent gang violence and lower the murder rate. They called it Amsterdam, but the gangsters just called it Hamsterdam.
    Great show.

@Anduin What's Amsterdam like, then?

@Kitteh_on_a_cloud and @FinneousPJ

Allow me to educate and elucidate... Amsterdam has very relaxed laws concerning drug use and prostitution. In fact, the Netherlands does not suffer from the related problems other countries seem to have with drugs and the oldest trade on the planet.

Then you get tourists...

They go to the capital, Amsterdam, and smoke themselves to oblivion while riding as many bikes as possible.

I think the Queen of Amsterdam is the lady who has done the most miles on any given night... A search was not particularly helpful.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Anduin I thought the same, really, no kidding.
    @Anduin Interesting, thanks. Err, is it supposed to be a positive or negative title?
    Considering that it suggests you actually have sex, just like those disgusting jocks who stole my girlfriend, and not like me, the perfect virgin snowflake, I'd think it's pretty bad
    @anduin That was insightful but in a bad way.

Baldur's Gate used to be my anti-drug but now you've ruined it :'(
    edited December 2013
    @booinyoureyes there were entire threads about drugs in the off-topic section, before you've became active.
    @CrevsDaak Boo says: whaaa?
    Why are there threads about drugs? The internet is so weird.
    edited December 2013
    @booinyoureyes everything is wired AND weird, just you haven't looked enough, look more and you will see more, search more and you will find more, and then, I don't recommend doing do all the time, some secrets HAVE to be kept secrets.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I am sure it's my fault I am very sorry any pain or anguish I inflicted was do to my own insecurities you're are a bright and beautiful person and again I am sorry. /hug.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Funnily enough, I nearly wrote a similar rant yesterday, though not related to anything I saw/experienced on this forum, which is actually one of the least objectionable places I have found on the internet. It would have been a more generalised "I am disappointed with humanity and why do some people apparently enjoy being assholes on the internet?"

I mean there are some people who seem to enjoy spreading bitterness and negativity to total strangers. Why? What do they gain from it? What does it say about humanity as a whole when 'trolling' is so widespread and commonplace behind the safety of anonymity?

I just genuinely do not understand it. I have an opinion on many issues, and where I disagree with you to an extent that I care to express, I will do so and rationally explain my reasoning. I don't launch into 'attack mode' the moment I come across disagreement to my views, let alone attack individuals for no good reason.

I simply prefer nice people and the company of nice people. What's wrong with being nice eh?

Emphasize again that I am not criticising anyone in particular or referring to anything on this forum. I've just seen a few things that annoyed me recently.