Skip to content

Khalid

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
someone said there is no thread demanding a new portrait for khalid.

well, i don't demand it either, but the poor guy deserves at least one post/topic not mocking him.

so here, a topic for all of us who didn't send our stuttering friend on a naked scouting missions, (or naked basilisk killing missions, or naked spider lair missions, or naked petting Aec'Letec missions, or naked use on self flesh to stone scroll missions etc).

khalid was a good guy, an ordinary guy, may he rest in peace.
ahem, i'm not suggesting his return in bg2, let that much be clear.

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    maybe his new picture should be of him naked, with a target on his chest/back/forehead?
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012
    -

Post edited by mch202 on
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Bjjorick i agree. i was just thinking it will be jaheira that will greet gnolls when rescuing dynaheir. naked.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    For the first few runs, I always thought Khalid had a giant black beard. Turns out, it's just shadow. Still looks weird to me.
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    I like Khalid too. I almost always try to keep him around.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    I liked him i never understood why some people didn't like him
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    I once ran a comparison between Minsc and Khalid, and to my surprise Khalid actually got more kills.

I guess people don't like him because he's paired with Jaheira, and there's a relative scarcity of healers in BG1.

I treat Khalid and Jaheira as a pair. I like the character Khalid a just little better than Jaheira, though, actually. That said, I never completed the Jaheira romance in BG2, so for all I know there's much more to the character than I'm familiar with from BG1.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I believe in Khalid.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    luluscado said:

I liked him i never understood why some people didn't like him

Because he's a comic relief.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    The candle burned out long before the legend ever did.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited August 2012
    It was me who said that. And, as stated a week or so ago, I liked Khalid too. He made a good archer. Back in there his morale didn't matter, and boy did he hit home with the Archery Bracers and a decent bow. It did help that magic arrows were a dime a dozen at Sorcerous Sundries.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    indeed, i found him also more useful than jaheira, and i think stuttering is cute for some reason ( but not being scared so easily).

and it also seems that jaheira likes this thread... (@Runariel) um, sorry about that naked greeting and gnolls comment, i didn't really mean it. uh... ;)
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Khalid doesn't actually have a lower morale score/stat than other characters. That's just a BS misconception.
  • PoulsenPoulsen Member Posts: 10
    @Dazzu
    As I understand the Infinity Engine from using different editors, Khalid's starting morale is indeed the same as other NPCs, but his morale failure point is earlier than the majority of NPCs (on par with brave, brave Sir Garrick), causing him to flee more readily. I might be wrong, though.

Still, I like the do-gooder in him. I always give him a longbow and tell him to stand in the back, raining death-by-arrow, away from harm.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    Khalid Vs. Kagain....

Fight!
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Khalid reminds me of the uncle that spoils the child behind all the other adult's back. He was memorable, and when I first found him dead in BG2, I honestly thought I was going to be able to get him back somehow. I couldn't believe he was gone. When I found out he WAS gone, however, I was actually kind of happy because now I could have an extra party space......

And yes, he does need fighter mage....... although if he GETS it, I'm going to be mad that he'll be dead come BG2....
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I preferred Khalid to Jaheira. Jaheira is *so* abrasive that she can really rub you the wrong way "I've seen just about enough waking hours, slave driver!" But, being a good person as well as RPing a good character, I can honestly say I have never deliberately killed either of them off. It never even occurred to me to do so.
  • LRECLREC Member Posts: 68
    A new Khalid portrait should just be Kenny...
  • ZaccaroZaccaro Member Posts: 39
    Khalid was always my favorite character. I always got him in my party if I could. I was sad when I found him dead in the dungeons. And I gave him the best armour too just to make him better.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @LadyRhian
    yeah, that's kinda the way i felt, jeheria should be either chaotic good or nutral evil. She's not the type that cares about keeping balance, she's the type that only cars about herself and the power she can wield over others, she just hides it better then others. She's very manipultive at all times, especially when you romance her. I always prefered aerie or viconia, because their romance at least had sweet points to it, with jeheria, she was just trying to get you on a leash like she had khalid.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Bjjorick "If at first you don't succeed, the wife won't let me forget it." (One of Khalid's lines)
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    When you think about it. It kinda makes for a slightly awkward relationship between her and you in bg2. If you're an elf you're only 16-22 years old? Elves aren't supposed to 'mature' until 100+. Her husband is killed due to their association with you. No ifs or buts about it. He's dead because of you. Plus this relation takes place days/weeks/ a couple months at best after his death. Creepy.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    edited August 2012
    Gah, nothing to see here, mover along.

(Sorry was a double post)
    Post edited by Jolanthus on
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Yes! Khalid was awesome, and id actually like him to get more attention in the BGEE (if its possible). I kept both him and Jaheira in my party usually. Didnt anyone else find it weird when that NPC in waukens promenade in BG2 had the same soundset as Khalid? I paused the game and kept right clicking on him just to hear it, lol.
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    I liked Khalid too, because you got him so early there was several different paths you could take him down. In my play-throughs he has been an archer, a throwing-axe master, a sword'n'shield behemoth and a spearman.

Always preferred him to Jaheria, who frankly had a stick up her butt from the moment you meet her. It's a shame, because I could never stomach Jaheria for too long, so I always ended up dropping them both because, well... it wouldn't feel right just having one of them.

That's why in BG2 I've only ever finished the game with Jaheria once... and that was just to see the romance. (Not worth it.)