Skip to content

Khalid

13»

Comments

• KarrgootKarrgoot Member Posts: 26
    Khalid stinks of putrescence
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    I used to keep Khalid around, since I find him amusing and he's a decent fighter. Recently, though, I've been having more fun using some of the more "out there" NPCs and so I tend to drop Khalid and Jaheira as soon as I find anyone else who can fight and/or heal.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    In most of my play-throughs I kept Khalid with me (as a sword-n-shield tank type) while ditching Jaheira (never killed her, just abandoned her in a random house in Beregost to improve her housekeeping skill while Khalid was patiently waiting outside). There were a few moral failures for him early game when he was taking a pounding, but only once had this caused problems; in late-game never had him frightened. And his insecurity made him a more "real" character with a personality and traits so it never bothered me much.
  • ElandirElandir Member Posts: 35
    Gorion wouldn't be proud of your Post :P
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Communard said:

I played BG Tutu for the first time a while ago and Khalid was a dual-wielding fighter swinging a bastard sword in each hand. It seemed a bit out of character to me. I definitely had him down as a guy who liked to carry a big shield.

This is why I play BGT, IMO Tutu changes too much that didn't need to be changed.
    Yup, BGT with L1 NPCs and SCS/SCSII installed is the way I do it. Modifications to the NPC proficiencies can be made (properly, vs. Shadowkeeper), as desired, and you also have the option of splitting NPC pairs without having to kill off one of them.
  • Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    Until recently, I always played with Khalid in the party. He wasn't exactly the best fighter since he had a lower strength, but I found him to be a very good archer and a good backup to the other fighters. He and Kivan put together could really do damage with their bows. I also used to use the trick of kicking Jaheira out of the party and then running out of the building so I could keep Khalid.

Favorite party at the time:

PC(Cleric I think)
    Khalid
    Minsc
    Kagain
    Kivan
    Ajantis

And I forgot who the sixth was, but it was a mage. Probably Xan.
  • ddubiousddubious Member Posts: 29
    I miss Khalid too. I kept him around because he was good people (literally). He had an arab name, and a stammer, which is unusual for the standard Adonis adventurer. He reminds me of Wash from Firefly. Also his wife is a "warrior-woman" (as Wash would say).

Pro-tip for all you Khalid fans out there - BOWS! Strength doesn't matter with a bow, and he can go above 2 dots in them! That's something Kivan and Coran can't do.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Khalid is my main fighter until I get Minsc. Then some how he finds himself naked when my party gets into a fight and dies.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    Khalid in the original BG only starts with one point in Bows, he can gain another two at level 3 and 6. Giving him a grand total of 3.

I've always used Khalid as a melee fighter since he can advance his points in longsword to 4. Coran Starts with master level proficiency (three points) in Bow and has 20 dex (as I said eariler). He's the best bowman in the game. Khalids str is easily overcome. I've never thought much of Kivans skill with a bow, his 17 dex & 2 proficiency points pale in comparison to Coran's 20 & 3.

Bow/arrows are extremely powerful in BG1, though with BGEE I'm not sure whether or not they intent to scale the arrow damage down to BG2 standards. Acid arrows in BG1 inflicted (from memory) 1-6 + 1 + 2D6 acid damage, compared to in BG2 where they inflicted 1-6 + 1 +1D3 acid.
    I did the same, had Khalid use a longsword and shield, and Coran + Kivan as rearguard archers.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    Did you ever have Khalid wearing both rings of fire resistance and the helm of defence charge your foes then have said archers bombard the battlefield with arrows of detonation?

Good times.
    Sadly no, never thought of that combo, but will surely try it in BGEE :).
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Khalid was cool - think of the mental fortitude that was required for him to marry Jaheira. It's not like she wore him down to a little mouse (Tony Soprano quote about his father).
    He might have been a real don in his former life.