Skip to content

Constant crashing

VallensVallens Member Posts: 10
edited December 2013 in Not An Issue
I have purchased this game through Steam. I've been trying to play it and have constant crashes. I have had 2 occasions where the game will crash on quicksave, and when I load it appears the world has reset. From searching I have done it looked like this issue was patched, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what version of the game I have, or how to patch it.

I have also had the game crash to desktop without any errors while hitting escape to exit the character screen, pressing i to close the inventory screen after opening it, and pressing escape to close my spellbook. These are just a few of numerous crashes that I had had.

Any suggestions on how to figure out what version I am on, how to patch, or how to fix these bugs via Steam install?
Post edited by Vallens on

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like the memory leak, and that was sorted out some time back. All the issues you are experiencing sound like the ones that were patched.

You can tell what version the game is being bringing up the main menu while playing the game. It can be somewhat obscured in Shadows of Amn, but in Throne of Bhaal it is located above the game logo (Throne of Bhaal, that it is the skull).

If you are using the most up-to-date version, then there is obviously still something wrong.

I have no idea what version Steam is currently on, but I assume it is up to date. If you have any options disabled, such as automatic updates for Steam games, then you will be on whatever version you have previously downloaded. You should be able to fix that by using the "Verify Integrity of Game Cache..." option.
  • VallensVallens Member Posts: 10
    Well that is disappointing. I checked and I am on the new version. So there is apparently still more this this memory leak that needs to be addressed. Can we get a response from a developer on this?

Hard to see but you can make out 2030 in the screenshot.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Tagging @Avenger_teambg.
    Patch looks like it was last month. Steam does not show any Client updates. I assume that it launched on Steam with the current up to date version, so my save could not have been made before the update. I just made it on Monday night.
    Just crashed while trying to drop a wand from one character to another.
    Crashed again after selecting a character and then clicking the ground to move that character.
    Just crashed again upon exiting inventory by hitting escape.
    Just crashed again while dispelling confusion from one of my characters.
    Looks like after 30 minutes it crashes when the next key is pressed as it just crashed again.
    Yup, just crashed again after 30 minutes as soon as I hit a key.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    alrighty, I'll just cover the gammot here

having the information listed in http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/27755/help-my-game-crashed-what-do-i-do#latest would be handy.

If you haven't yet, updating your drivers for graphics, audio mouse and any other wackyness might help.

Also giving a rundown of your hardware/os would be handy as well.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Vallens: Ok, you're getting multiple crashes. Obviously you've got a very unstable game there. Here's the procedure I'd go through.

1) Backup your saved games.
    2) Blow away/uninstall the entire game. Make sure both your game directory and the entire directory containing your saved games is gone completely. Delete them from harddrive if you have to but make sure you go through as much proper uninstall as you can.
    3) Re-install your game. If you installed ANYTHING beyond what came from steam DO NOT install it. I.e. do not modify the game in ANY WAY from the base/brand new steam installation.
    4) DO NOT copy your saved games back at this point. Open your brand new copy of BG2 and start a brand new game. Do not import, do not take old characters from BG.
    5) Use one of the pre-generated characters to start a new game with.
    6) Play that new game for a while. Do things like dropping and picking up items (which was the issue form the last memory leak issue). Play for your requisite 30 - 40 mintues and see if you can get it to crash again.

If you cannot, start putting things back in place...start with your saved games. Load one of those up and try to crash it.

If you can reproduce the crash, go with what @SethDavis above is talking about. Start by updating your graphics drivers, audio drivers (if you can), and your mouse / keyboard drivers. Once you've done that, and you can still crash the game, start posting saved games, crash dumps, system specs, etc.

We'll see what we can do to help you solve this.
    Yeah. Sorry I am not paid to debug and troubleshoot your game. I'll just get a refund.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Vallens said:

Yeah. Sorry I am not paid to debug and troubleshoot your game. I'll just get a refund.

Most of us here are not paid to do this either.